Possible MBD? Hoping to figure this out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my boyfriend got into the bearded dragon thing not to long ago but we've been reading non stop about them and we've taken care of ours wonderfully. Since he was doing so good we decided to get another one! We went to a reptile show to get one from a breeder after seeing how terrible the petstore was at taking care of them and how little they knew about them. Well the one we got from the expo was a beautiful Marketed Leucistic and we got him for a decent price because she said that he was a "Dent Tail" and came out of the egg that way. Looking at him you can see that his tail is somewhat dented in the middle area but nothing at all bad, just a slight maybe, 1/6 of an inch little dent. So we figured what the heck he doesn't need to be perfect and his coloratio was SOOO amazing we couldn't pass it up. After getting him home we noticed him walking his front left foot slightly curved inward and he's not really supporting his body weight on his legs at all. Just sort of crawling in a way. I checked into the condition and only thing i keep coming up with his MBD. If its easily fixed by a diet change or something of that nature then i would like to keep him and give him the help that he needs instead of returning him back to the lady that helped him get into this condition. Can anyone help me and give me a little insight on this. We have not incountered this problem yet as our is well taken care of and in exceptional condition.

I dont know if this is a Beadie ER topic, but i would apperciate any immediate help that i can get so this doesn't have time to get any worse.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

-Nikki

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello and Welcome! :D

It does sound as if the beardie you got has MBD. How old is the beardie?

With proper lighting and calcium.. yes, depending on the severity, the MBD can be reversed or stopped from getting any worse.

I have had several rescues with MBD. It sounds like that could be the problem. You can pm me if you want and I will try to help you.

Amy, Ace and Nitro

NeonZebraSpots

Original Poster
I called the breeder we got him from this morning and she said for us to bring him back to her right away that she had no idea he had these kinds of problems as she has a high number of beardies and that her UV lights were about hitting the 6th month mark and just about needing to be replaced. She said that she would rather get him back up and going since she's had experience with this problem before and we hadn't. We took him back there and she had a cage set up for him with his lights and she had someone with her take him and was trying to give him what looked like some liquid calcium with some greens. We looked at her other ones and none of them appeared to be in that type of condition so we figured he would be ok, she sounded very sincere. We did end up getting a replacement dragon from her that was a young, very beautiful golden colored female. I'm happy with the replacement and very happy that she noted her problem and did get someone on it right away to start correcting the problem. Thanks for the responses from you guys and i hope all ends up well for the other beardie.

And just as a side note, someone asked how old he was. She said he was right around 3 1/2 months old.

SARBEAR

Sub-Adult Member
Yes I do hope he gets the proper care!!
I'm glad everything worked out okay!
May we see a picture pretty please?
:)

NeonZebraSpots

Original Poster
Yes, i will post pictures of both of them in the Introdutions page as soon as i get the pictures uploaded. Their names are Mojo and Mikaela (Kaela for short)

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I too am glad things worked out for you.
I do hope they properly care for the little beardie so that it can have a healthy life.

I am very happy to hear that the breeder recognized there was a problem and was willing to fix it. Best of luck with your new baby. Can't wait to see pics!

Amy, Ace, and Nitro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom