Possible Illness or Overeaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ostrommaysi

Hatchling Member
I'd hoped everything would be smooth sailing after my initial issues with my bearded dragon Vitti. But as of late some things have come up that have me concerned and as this is my first bearded dragon I am hard pressed to know if it is a true threat or just me being overzealous in my worrying. For the record I keep Vitti in a 75 gallon tank with the heat lamp right over his basking spot at 95-100 degrees. (Fluctuates through the day due to summer heat. I also move the lamp up and down accordingly) Diagonally up and to the side is a lamp with a Reptisun 10.0 for his UVB needs. I will also note that he eats a good 30 crickets every morning and veggies throughout the day. Due to my home's make the outside temperature causes my room to be 90+ degrees on most days. (Gotta love that summer time heat -_-) There is little to nothing I can do to cool my home down. unfortunate due to the temps he has little of a cool side to run to so often times I'll let him run about my room (under close watch) when he gets down and glass dances.

First problem is that he seems to sleep exuberant amounts of time, waking up at 6am and getting tired for sleep around 3pm. When he goes to bed he will sleep till the next morning. (Like clockwork, I can actually count on it to happen) Maybe its normal but it seems to be an awful long amount of time for sleep. He doesn't seem to be in any pain nor does it seem the lights are causing him any trouble. When he was younger he would be up till about 10pm and now it seems he gets tired earlier and earlier. Could it be the heat? Or some unseen factor? This has actually caused a bit of trouble with his feeding as he goes to be before I can feed him his afternoon meal

Second problem seems to be that he doesn't poop as regularly as he used to. This seems more in tune with the heat as ever since it started getting hot he stopped pooping everyday and now poops every 3rd or 4th day. Again he doesn't seem to be in any pain and I can rub his belly with no negative reaction from him. (Other then the occasional "Hey what you doing?" and him running off which really isn't negative) He still eats like a pig but I can visually tell he needs to poop. His belly seems bloated at times. When he does, and boy does he, the excrement doesn't seem off except for possibly the urates. Sometimes its white and sometimes its a bit yellow and its always hard.

I don't want my baby to be sick or hurt and money has been so tight I would like to be sure there's a problem before taking him to the vet if possible. Though other then these possible issues he seems fine as can be, he will run around my room and eat like theres no tomorrow. Never shows any sign of pain or discomfort and often times is as bright and happy as can be. Any insight to possibly help or put my mind to rest would be useful. Also sorry if this is not the right forum, I didn't feel it was an emergency yet.

mark83

Hatchling Member
How old is your UVB and how close is he to it in his normal basking spot? Thats one of the main reasons a beardie would start getting less active, although normally they would start eating less as well. I'm not sure how well informed you are on care so I'm sorry if I'm just telling you stuff you already know here! He should be able to get within 6-8" of his UVB and the bulb should be no older than 6 months. Also how are you taking his temps? Directly under his basking bulb with a probe or gun is the best way and really the only accurate way. What are you dusting his crickets with and how often and what does he get for greens? Is he cage really well lit? The brighter the better for these guys.

Sorry for all the questions but the more info you give the more likely someone will be able to help you, even if its to say your doing everything right. Do you give him baths? You might try giving him a warm bath everyday and even massaging his belly to try and encourage him to poop. I know a lot of beardies will poop in their bath everyday and rarely go in the viv if given daily baths. Anyway post the info and we can all help you make sure you have everything as it should be and then go from there.

Mark

Ostrommaysi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I give him baths every other day and I massage his belly everyday. Even before he started having problems. (I'm a sucker for that soft beardie belly)

The ReptiSun bulb is about 3 months old now though this particular bulb has only been in use for a month. (I have two of the same age but didn't feel it was prudent to have two in his enclosure) Its approx 10' from his head which is less then the recommended distance via the bulb's documentation. His temps are taken via probe from a acurite thermometer. The temps fluctuate due to house temps IE as it gets hotter in the day the basking temp seems to feed off this

I dust his crickets with Calcium powder on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. (I used to dust 5 days a week but the herp vet suggested he might be getting too much calcium) Multivitamins on tuesday and thursday.

I give very strict care to Vitti and do a lot of research particularly on this site. No matter of research ever fully seems to prepare you though I'm constantly learning about him and his particular needs. Vitti absolutely will not poop unless hes running around which is another reason i always let him out when he glass dances. He spends a good 4 hours a day running around my room with me. I love to be with him as much as he will let me.

I'm not sure of his age if that plays a factor though I know hes not a year old yet. He was 5 inches long in march and is now 20 inches long.

mark83

Hatchling Member
Sounds like your doing what you need to be. I still kinda wonder if he couldn't use a little more UVB, I mean the combination of being 10" away and out of the viv 4 hrs a day. Plus from what you said hes only awake 9 hrs a day and if 4 of that is out of viv then hes only getting 5 hrs of UVB exposure a day. I could be way off base here but its a thought..

The only other thing I could suggest if your worried about his pooping is feeding some baby food squash with just a touch of olive oil and maybe some applesauce(no sugar added kind) and just put drops on his nose until he licks them off. I was able to get a rescue that had eaten a bunch of kitty litter pooping again with that mix, although I added pedialyte in her case because she was so unhealthy.

Hopefully someone else will post some thoughts, I'm still a bit of a newbie :)

Freeie

Extreme Poster
How old is he? As they get older they get lazy. Mine will be up at 5 30 to 6 am when ever i wake up and they will go to the cool side and go to bed at around 4. The UVB will need to be any where from 6 to 8 inches from him to absorb the right amount. I also have mine out a few hours a day each i have 4 atm. They dont need 12 hrs of uvb. I'm sure someone will pipe in if im wrong but i think they only need a few hours of it a day. Ive asked alot of times because when we had our first beardie she was out of her viv at least 4 hours a day. I gave her time to warm up fed her let her bask and digest for a hour or so then she was out and about i did set up a basking area on the floor if she got cool she would go bask and then she was off again. She dosnt even sleep in her viv she has always slept with my daughter in her bed. I was told its fine.

As for the pooping thing. I have 3 that only poop once ever few days sometimes its 3 but when they go it looks like a great dane did it lol One of mine poops every day. I give baths in the summer due to the heat every other day if the urate starts looking chalkish its everyday for 20 mins unless they drink witch im lucky mine drink from the bath.

Ostrommaysi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I appreciate the help believe me. No matter how much I feel I know my beardie is always teaching me.One thing has has taught me however is how much he likes to be in and out of his enclosure. He has access to glass dance both ways and he does when he wants in or out. Hes a very smart lil fella. He loves to be out and snuggle and sometimes he likes to be inside.I don't take him out longer then he likes.

I never really liked the ReptiSun to be honest. I was waiting on my unemployment extension, (That money shortness bit) to get another megaray in there. He loved his last megaray but it blew out from a power surge. Unfortunately in retrospect a lot of this started a bit after I switched to the new bulbs.

I try to feed him baby food but he will have none of it. But I will try some again as well as sugarless applesauce on a more regular basis to see if he wont come back to normal. I want him to be happy like he was

EDIT: I'm not sure of the age. he was 5 inches in march of this year and now hes 20 inches long. hes not out 4 hours everyday but he does love to be out. I'm one of those that give off a lot of body heat so sometimes he will sprawl out on me and get some warmth that way. We are extremely close

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Weird Reptisun 10's are the only really safe bulb for them atm. Mine had issues when i used the megaray. When the bulb had issues i went back to the reptisun and all of mine did better. Maybe its because you dont have it close enough it should be 6 to 8 inches from his basking area.

Ostrommaysi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Freeie":1pu4vh3n said:
Weird Reptisun 10's are the only really safe bulb for them atm. Mine had issues when i used the megaray. When the bulb had issues i went back to the reptisun and all of mine did better. Maybe its because you dont have it close enough it should be 6 to 8 inches from his basking area.

He seems to have sensitive eyes so I've always been weary to put it too close to him. Ill try putting it closer for a day and see how he reacts, eyes and all. Then I'll give it longer and see if he improves.

I don't like the thought of something being wrong with him I've gone to extreme lengths to make it comfortable and healthy for him. Lights have always been a problem starting when I first got him and the misinformation I started off on back then. Got a beardie kit and those zilla bulbs were just horrible on his eyes. Luckily I found this place and learned a lot but its always been a battle. If I only knew then what I will know by the time he goes.

I will try your suggestions and hopefully he will improve. I still plan to get some more lights and such for his enclosure which is a work in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom