possible brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nic123

i have had my bearded dragon for almost four months and he was about a month old when i got him. he has always been active and eating his insects and salads regularly.
recently he has been hanging out under his hammock, not eating as often, and barely moving.
is this brumation?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This is the time of year when many tend to become more lazy & sleep. He is estimated to
be around 5 or so months old? He is a bit young for brumation. We can review your tank
setup just to be sure everything is correct for him. Do you have any pictures of him as well
as the tank you could post for us?
Is he maintaining his weight or losing weight?

Tracie

nic123

Original Poster
109744-912427688.jpg
109744-6122047640.jpg
Drache613":lan9i1ik said:
Hello,

This is the time of year when many tend to become more lazy & sleep. He is estimated to
be around 5 or so months old? He is a bit young for brumation. We can review your tank
setup just to be sure everything is correct for him. Do you have any pictures of him as well
as the tank you could post for us?
Is he maintaining his weight or losing weight?

Tracie

Hi, he seems to be maintaining his weight. he is in a 40 gallon tank with a 75 watt basking light and the zoo med t8 10.0 watt usb bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok the 75 watt bulb is more than likely not hot enough for your tank --- please get a basking temps w/a digital probe thermometer place it on the spot he sits to bask --- it should be 105-110 try that temp if he doesnt like it that hot you can get it to 95-100 --- too cool of tank temps will put them in a brumation type mode --- also your T 8 needs to have the cover off the fixture no cover over the bulb it needs to be inside the tank directly over the basking decor piece w/ a distance of 6-8 inches
Here are some things to hang it w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line-- potted plant wire hangers and these I use these they work great they re like a Velcro strap you need to cut them in strips https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
https://www.showmecables.com/panduit-ttr-20r0-bulk-hook-and-loop-fastening-cable-tie-20-foot-roll-x-3-4-inch-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIouDimL2b7AIVyEXVCh2Kbg_vEAYYCSABEgImZ_D_BwE
Karrie

nic123

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2htf8aqr said:
Ok the 75 watt bulb is more than likely not hot enough for your tank --- please get a basking temps w/a digital probe thermometer place it on the spot he sits to bask --- it should be 105-110 try that temp if he doesnt like it that hot you can get it to 95-100 --- too cool of tank temps will put them in a brumation type mode --- also your T 8 needs to have the cover off the fixture no cover over the bulb it needs to be inside the tank directly over the basking decor piece w/ a distance of 6-8 inches
Here are some things to hang it w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line-- potted plant wire hangers and these I use these they work great they re like a Velcro strap you need to cut them in strips https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
https://www.showmecables.com/panduit-ttr-20r0-bulk-hook-and-loop-fastening-cable-tie-20-foot-roll-x-3-4-inch-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIouDimL2b7AIVyEXVCh2Kbg_vEAYYCSABEgImZ_D_BwE
Karrie

his basking temps are right around 95. is this warm enough?
thank you! i will try hanging the uvb light inside the tank and see if that helps.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would try a 100 watt basking bulb watch the temps make sure your getting the temp w/ a digital probe thermometer
Karrie

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
If I understand right you only have 1 bulb in there besides your uvb? If that's so you should throw some more bulbs in there. In my 40 I have 2 as a minimum. 3 if its cold inside my house . .... 100 watt 75 watt and the 3ed is a 25 for as needed. For mine that Maintains a good basking spot and a thermal gradient And acceptable humidity levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom