Possible brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When typically do bearded dragons go into brumation? I would presume it would be based on temp/geographic location of each dragon... and I would have thought more like winter.

My bearded, Lizzy, has suddenly been in her "cave" for the past 4-5 days without coming out for even food. And literally no movement other that maybe a slight movement in her elbow to dig a bit.

We set her salad outside the cave every morning and nothing. I'm not sure if I should disturb her to take her out for her dubia feedings or what?

We live in Arizona where it is not even close to being cold. We are in the midst of a pretty great monsoon season, which has given me some severe migraines myself. I wonder if this could be having any effect on her?

Thoughts?

twocatsandadog

Original Poster
I guess here's a few pics of what I can see of her. Her cave is a little small for her. She's 3 years old and is at least 20 inches long but has managed a way to curl herself up in there and has dug out the back of it.

I also sincerely hope it's not a third clutch of eggs, but I really don't think so. She does more "standing" against the back wall on her hammock when that happens, at least from what I remember the first two times this year.

full

full

full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That seems like typical brumation behavior. From what I've seen, brumation instinct doesn't have anything to do directly with the weather outside. My guy has been pretty sleepy for the last several weeks too as have others. I'm not sure exactly what the trigger is though.

twocatsandadog

Original Poster
Okay thanks a lot.

She hasn't had any dubias in almost a week... should I take her out and try or just leave her be?

And I typically use a spray bottle and mist her a couple times a day to give her water since she won't drink out of sitting water. Should I try that instead of a bath for her weekly "drink?"

Thanks,
Jill.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would just let her be if she wants to sleep. Take her out and check her weight once or twice a week. She shouldn't be losing much because they slow their metabolisms so much. You can offer water by dripping or spraying her nose to lick up but if she doesn't want it, that's OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adhdogtraining
Top Bottom