Possible Brumation at Under 1 yr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcoghla

Hello,
My beardie began to change her habits some time in September. She began to sleep all day and not come out of her hide to bask. Slowly, her eating habits have decreased down to barely anything. She used to eat veggies and greens and tons of crickets. Now she barely every eats greens and will only eay crickets every few days. She also quit pooping every day. The amount of time in between poops has also grown. Sometimes it can be 4-5 days until she'll finally poop, and that's only because i'm bathing her. She also use to shed a lot and now hasn't done that since this behavior began. I got her 8 months ago and they told me she was about 6-8 weeks old, which would make her about 10 months. However, the vet told me that for the size she was when her saw her, she had to be older than what the vet told me. I'm thinking she could be up to a year old or maybe slightly younger. She is now about 16 inches long from head to the tip of her tail. I'm worried that she's not eating and not growing. I've read about brumation, but is seems like it's very rare to brumate under a year old. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Have you had a fresh fecal done on her? I have a 6 month old that is 16" so length plays no role in age.

Here are a few questions:

What kind of UVB light do you use?
How close is it to her and the age of it?
What are her temps?
How do you measure the temps?

The older they get, the less they shed.

Willyp

Our beardie started doing the same thing in October and he is only 1 year old this month.So I wouldn`t worry every Beardie is different.

jmcoghla

Original Poster
pscaulkins":6251c said:
Have you had a fresh fecal done on her? I have a 6 month old that is 16" so length plays no role in age.
She had a fecal done probably in September and it was fine. She does a little wheezy type of thing once in a while when she would eat. I was worried she was sick so I took her to the vet and they said she was ok.
Here are a few questions:

What kind of UVB light do you use? I use a combined UVA/UVB light bulb.
How close is it to her and the age of it? It's probably about 12-13" away from her basking site, but it's in the same spot it has been since I got her, when she would eat. I replaced it probably 4 months ago
What are her temps?I keep the cool side around 80degrees and the basking site around 105-110
How do you measure the temps? I have the regular round thermometers from pet stores sitting in the cage, along with an infrared temp gun

The older they get, the less they shed.

I figured that since she was getting older, she wasn't going to shed as much, but it just concerns me with all the other issues as well. She isn't totally lethargic, just sleeps later and goes to bed earlier. But when she's awake, she is alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom