Possible black beard? Hasn't pooped in three days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! I have a few question about my young beardie. First of all, he seems to have a dark beard and I don't know if this is a black beard or not because he is still stressed from moving from the reptile store to my house. Also, Spike hasn't pooped in three days and he is looking a bit chubby. Is that normal? Thanks!
Edit: He has also been avoiding his basking area and gulping every few minutes
Picture of beard:
IMG_0190_zpsti6jtrxw.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
In the picture his beard looks fairly normal. They can turn a lot blacker than that when something's wrong.

There's a wide variation between individual bearded dragons in terms of how often it's normal for them to poop, but younger ones usually tend to poop more often than older ones. Three days usually isn't a reason to worry too much. Do you know how old he is?

If he is a little constipated, a warm bath might help if he'll tolerate it, but some will tell you that could cause him more stress. Feeding him a little unsweetened/unseasoned pumpkin puree or applesauce and/or olive oil (if he'll eat it) may also help.

Other questions would be what is he eating, and what kind of lights do you have for heat and UVB, and what are the temperatures at the basking site and in the rest of the enclosure. Also, if you have the lights on top of the screen, be aware that you can lose up to 50% of the UVB through the screen.

Not sure what you mean by "gulping", but they sometimes momentarily stick their tongue out. If that's what you're describing, it's normal behavior, similar to a tongue flick by a snake. They're just "tasting" (or smelling) the air. He may be just exploring his new surroundings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom