Poor pet store beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandice

Went to a local non-chain pet store today and asked to hold this poor looking adult beardie that had been there for at least a month. He's incredibly skinny and looks TERRIBLE! :cry: A few of his toes look like he had some retained shed and they ended up infected and deformed. I don't think he could pancake if he tried, he's so skinny. I mentioned to the person cleaning that he's not healthy. He said he was the reptile guy there and that the dragon was a "donation" and came in looking that way but he's been trying to plump him up. I asked if he's had a fecal, he didn't know. He said that he eats, but not a lot. I took the liberty of going over some beardie staples and mentioned that he really needs a good soak in a bath due to his retained shed in places and the fact that he looks dehydrated. The guy didn't really seem to care :( I asked if they would actually sell the dragon looking like that and he just shrugged his shoulders :angry5: Current price tag on the poor thing is $169.99..... and man do I wish I had the extra money/space to take him home. They don't really do a good job taking care of their reptiles at that store, you'll often find algae in water dishes, substrate that hasn't been changed in god knows how long, dead animals still in with live animals hours after the store opens (dried out frog anyone?).... *Sigh* I just want to save him from that terrible place. It kills me! He was so sweet when I held him. I wanted to stash him in my coat and just run like mad... bad right? :oops:

demonsmomma

Juvie Member
ya pet stores are terrible about the dirty substrate i dont understand it im hoping to get a job at my local out fo chain petstore to educate them on bearded dragons they have a old one in there thats always stressed out i mean hes not very pretty and has a retained shed and i just feel bad for him they are only selling him for 70 bucks but he looks way old so i doubt they will ever sell him

There is a petland right now where I live with a Beardies in the exact same condition that came in as a donation. Sign above him says he needs extra tlc. His bones are deformed, he's patternless and a bad color due to lack of uvb, and while the pet store says he's tenfold better than when he arrived, I've been there every day and I beg to disagree. He's also got a lofty price tag... I believe reptiles in that condition should be donated to an owner that will be able to rehabilitate them better than the store... it's so sad: (

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
Unfortunately, in most pet stores, its all about the money, and not the welfare of the animals that they keep.......its enough to make you sick sometimes! And until more stringent laws are passed governing a pet shop's care of the animals that they sell, its probably never going to change.

You might try explaining to the manager of the store exactly what this beardie needs to improve his health, and also pointing out that he isn't going to earn them any money at all if he dies from lack of proper care. Maybe you'll get lucky, and he'll listen........

Other than that, or reporting them to your local Animal Control Authorities for either cruelty, or neglect, there's not much else that you can do, unless you buy him yourself....... I wish I could be of more help, but, unfortunately, we can't save them all.

Reapix

Hatchling Member
personally my local petsmart keeps they cages very clean however they keep reccomending i feed my baby mealworms and im like NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!:mad:
BUT! LIKE omg.... they keep 6+ in a 5.5 gallon tank!!! >:l!!!!!

rescuebeardies

Hatchling Member
brandice":uzzffi2c said:
Went to a local non-chain pet store today and asked to hold this poor looking adult beardie that had been there for at least a month. He's incredibly skinny and looks TERRIBLE! :cry: A few of his toes look like he had some retained shed and they ended up infected and deformed. I don't think he could pancake if he tried, he's so skinny. I mentioned to the person cleaning that he's not healthy. He said he was the reptile guy there and that the dragon was a "donation" and came in looking that way but he's been trying to plump him up. I asked if he's had a fecal, he didn't know. He said that he eats, but not a lot. I took the liberty of going over some beardie staples and mentioned that he really needs a good soak in a bath due to his retained shed in places and the fact that he looks dehydrated. The guy didn't really seem to care :( I asked if they would actually sell the dragon looking like that and he just shrugged his shoulders :angry5: Current price tag on the poor thing is $169.99..... and man do I wish I had the extra money/space to take him home. They don't really do a good job taking care of their reptiles at that store, you'll often find algae in water dishes, substrate that hasn't been changed in god knows how long, dead animals still in with live animals hours after the store opens (dried out frog anyone?).... *Sigh* I just want to save him from that terrible place. It kills me! He was so sweet when I held him. I wanted to stash him in my coat and just run like mad... bad right? :oops:

HELL NO! It's never bad wanting to help an animal in need! Shoot, I would have taken it and run like mad! If the police were called on me for that I would put charges on the pet store for animal neglect. I am so glad that I get my rescues for free. Sorry I could go on and on but I really shouldn't-haha
KAREN

MrMatt

A few months ago my fiancee and I were in a petco. We were looking at the Russian Tortoises that they had there and to our surprise a few days later the larger female was up for adoption because no one would buy her. Her shell was a little scratched up and pitted in some spots because of constant rubbing on the small log hide they had in there. We saved her and now is living comfortable in the tortoise table I put together for her.

It saddens me when these supposed pet stores let some animals get to the condition that they do and let the cages get as filthy as they do also. There have been times that I was in a pet store where I wanted to volunteer to clean all the cages since it was obvious that no one else there would except maybe the part time weekend kid that didn't have a choice. I must say I'm glad that petco understands that if an animal will not be bought after a while they will adopt it out. Since then we've been there weekly looking for more wonderful animals to save.

Petco did have an adult beardie there that had a bad tail nip and we were hoping that he would have been put up for adoption but thankfully someone purchased him. I'm sure he is much better off now!

As for the condition of the beardie at your pet store. I would honestly ask people in the store for donations or friends for donations to purchase him/her if you could not afford it straight out. I'm sure if some people's attention was brought to understand that the dragon is not healthy and by your purchasing it, it would help save it's life along with getting him/her out of the terror of what it's in now. Also if the pet store really got the dragon as a "donation" they shouldn't worry much about the price. If anything an adoption fee could be in order after all, they would save some money not having to feed the dragon if they even do that right now.

That pet store makes me sick. :puke:

They should honestly educate themselves more on the animals they keep. At least until they recognize when an animal is sick. Not to mention actually show a little compassion when a person is concerned for an animal and not just shrug them off. Maybe talking to the store manager or since it's a small chain the owner, could help that beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom