Poor Grudge. Hanging in there, but with an attitude as alway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virus

Hatchling Member
Well after a small dinner of butternut squash baby food, and over a week of problems I suppose I'd just like to get this out...Really for personal relief if anything

One of my four juveniles has been ill since just before Thanksgiving. I picked up three beardies at a pet warehouse. The other I recently picked up from bloodbankdragons. Well I've been doing a lot of research, and I've learned a great deal in these past few weeks.

Grudge, our glaring guy stopped poopin'. I figured, "OK, impaction...I can handle this" I stopped feeding him solids, and for breakfast he had turkey and sweet potatoes baby food with calcium added to it. Dinner was pumpkin with a few drops of mineral oil in it. He was eating, and still energetic, though he really wanted some dubia when he notice me get them ready for the other beardies. His back legs had also become almost seemingly paralyzed.

On the fifth day, I called a local herp vet, and the good news? Grudge pooped! It was huge, smelled terrible, and was everywhere! I know it was his, considering it was right behind where he was laying, and it was on the bottom of his tail and legs. Unfortunately he still wasn't moving his hind legs. The next day was the vet. I took the fecal sample with me and got it tested.

Grudge had pin worms, as well as high levels of coccidia. However, when inquired about the diet and living conditions, the vet was surprised that I seemed to know what I was talking about (thanks to all of you and your vast wealth of knowledge and experience of course). Grudge had a nice little shot. the vet also gave me enough doses for my other beardies (I'm building them all their own viv atm, but as of right now they are all in a 40 breeder).

The vet was a few days ago, and Grudge is growing lethargic, and dark with stress marks. Actually earlier today, I got back to the house and came to check on my babies only to find grudge struggling on his back, black beard (and at nine weeks old), waving his two front legs around trying to flip himself over. I immediately picked him up and held him, not knowing how long he had been like that. Within a few moments, he was a white beard again, and snuggling between my hoodie and shirt on my collar bone. I was so relieved to see him happy and comfy enough to take a brief nap in my presence.

Again, right now after his dinner of butternut squash (I want to make sure he eats while on his medicine) I notice his belly is covered in black rings which I assume are more stress marks.

This is really me rambling on about my new, but beloved babies. (really my girlfriend has been telling me I compliment, and tell them I love them more than I do her.)

I need to go pick up some probiotics, and find calcium without vitamin D3.

Thanks for reading, I'm going to stop at this and make Grudge feel loved.

Virus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for asking.

Grudge is relaxing in his basking spot, and has been most of the time. He's poopin' a few times a week at least. Also he grew a bit more! :) So He's now sitting at just over 9".

Other than that, he's still pretty alert, and enjoys his snuggle time, in fact he fell asleep on my collar bone last night while I was laying down and on my laptop.

Oh, and just now he ate a raspberry :D

Virus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, Grudge is basking for the moment, enjoying his MVB. He has an appetite again, but it has never been that big anyway.

He's twitched his hind legs a few times, and his tail perks up a little during the beginning of bath time. Unfortunately it looks like he is developing a hunch of sorts on his upper back.

I have some liquid calcium on the way to give him a bigger boost than just dusting. I heard that a vet can administer a calcium shot, but if that's an option, I'll talk to my vet about it.

Virus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well after a check up with the vet, Grudge has scoliosis and multiple breaks in his spine.

So now he has a 'C' curve in his back as well as bump.

I don't know how things will go with him. I will be deploying overseas soon, and my girlfriend will be caring for my beardie babies...I am just worried about Grudge for while I'm gone.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Perhaps the best thing all around for everyone, would be to offer Grudge to one of our more able members, this way they can help him get back to a "normal" life, and you will be assured he is well taken care of...
This isn't the sort of thing you want to leave to your girlfriend, not unless she is aware of the high amount of care required.
Just a suggestion.
Janie

Virus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That's what I was thinking. I love all my babies, and I want what's best for them.

The ones in good health I trust to my girlfriend, as we live together, she's seen my routine and daily care and affection to my babies. (she gets jealous sometimes because apparently I tell them they are pretty and that I love them more than I do her sometimes. :) )

Unfortunately I don't know how well she'll do with Grudge, as she works and goes to school. He needs someone to be able to keep an eye on him through out the day, which has worked out so far with me and my girlfriend's schedule is near opposite.

He falls or rolls over sometimes, and lands on his back...making him helpless until someone picks him up.

It almost depresses me considering when I first met him at the pet store...I picked him up, and put him down for a couple of his cage mates. Man did he give me the stink eye the entire time I was in the store for putting him back in that cage! He even recognized me and glared the next day when I came to pick him up. I just couldn't stop thinking about him, and that glare. It's what earned the name Grudge.

He does eat and poop pretty regularly, and can still chase down his roaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom