Poop - is it in or out??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDshaggy

I've posted a couple of times around this site about the BD that I got in really bad shape. I've had him now for 12 days and so far no poo. He's had lots of urates and I even see little urine puddles, but just no poo. I've even seen a urate with a piece of lettuce in it. I really hate that he might be impacted because my vet quoted me almost $150 to see him for it and I can't afford that. Here's the deal though (as disgusting as this is) - I see it coming and then he sucks it back up! We've been on a stick regimen of squash baby food with a bit of oil, then warm baths, lots of basking in his tank and also outside. Today was my most hopeful day, I fed him (thru a syringe which is a whole other issue in itself) and then put him in a warm bath. His urate and poo was literally hanging out about a half inch and then it ALL just went back up! :banghead:

Here's my questions -
Is he just super impacted and that's what happens as a result of impaction?
Is this normal and he is getting spooked and/or loosing concentration?
Since today showed significant improvement, is there still hope he's going to do it on his own?

His back legs are still functioning properly so I would assume that is a good sign. He had sand substrate when I got him and was only fed mealworms so either of those could have caused impaction before I got him. I could :whip: the Petsmart reptile guy that told me I could feed him large crickets after I described his 1 year of age and 12 inch length because now after the fact, I know he should only be getting small ones. Thankfully he only ate 1, but I still can't help but think that might have been the cause.....

BDshaggy

Original Poster
As much as I've read on this site, I haven't yet read anything like this:

OMG!! He had one MAJOR bowel movement late this afternoon. I am kind of beaming because my husbandry was on queue, I saved him AND I saved myself $150. The little guy was really impacted and after an afternoon outdoors and me messaging his belly for a good half hour/45 minutes, he finally had a bowel movement. The only thing I can think of to describe it was that it was as big as a shotgun shell!! :shock: You know, the one with a plastic casing and a metal end! It seriously was 1/2" wide and probably 2" long!! I have no idea how he passed it, it was hard, compacted and just as I suspected, had gritty sand in it. It was dry and reminded me a lot of cud like the straw a cow would chew. Okay, so I know that is gross and all but I am so glad to be able to save him from that and begin to work on some other issues that he has.

He's resting now, I think that really took a toll on him. I am hoping tomorrow now that he's cleaned out he'll be ready for some fruit and veggies and start working himself off the baby food. Anyone every experience this? Is there anything I should watch for as a side effect of what happed today?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's excellent !! I'm really glad to hear that ! :) I really feel for the little guy and for you...I know you want to help him and are looking to do whatever you can. You're doing a great job, and yes he's exhausted but he should be feeling better. You can feed him medium crickets at his size, and if your pet store carries hornworms or silkworms he'd enjoy those too. Large poos are the norm for many beardies, but since your little guy was impacted + hadn't gone in days it was especially extraordinary. :lol: But you've done a great job...keep up the diet he's on, and you can add a little chicken baby food as well. Keep up the GREAT work !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom