Poop collection advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm planning on taking Geoffrey to the vet for a check up on Monday (it's been a few months since his run in with the cat and yes- I still feel like the worst person ever to have let it happen, and he's still being spoiled rotten, and no nothing wrong with him, he seems to have healed absolutely fine, with the exception of limited visibility in his eye, so just a check up :) )

I'm going to request a poop test, and I was wondering how best to *ahem* collect the sample and store it?
He's not the most regular with his poops, meaning I'm not able to judge when his next poop will be- what's the 'oldest' sample I can give them?
How should I best store it (if he poops the night before, should I put it in the fridge [in a baggie obviously!]

I'd also be interested in what you guys think they should be testing for?

I'll also ask them to sex him (he's around 9/10 months now) and I can't for the life of me decide whether I think he's a boy, or a girl.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

L

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Just collect as much of his next one as possible put it in a baggy take all the air out that you can and put it in the fridge. If he goes again do it again and toss the old one and so on until you get to the vet.

GeoffreyDragon

Original Poster
Thank you, I think that's the best way. I just wasn't sure how old a sample could be - how long any parasites or anything that could show up on the test can be visible for.

Yeah was a horrible accident, I take full responsibility for not checking his viv was locked. The cat must have pawed open the front screen and he would have got loose. Thankfully the cat only has two small teeth and appeared to have lost interest after Geoffrey took a chunk of fur out of her neck. It could have been so much worse, the only lasting effect is limited visibility in his eye, which has now fully healed and he has a normal appetite, poops well and sheds cleanly. I'd never encourage cats and dragons to be together, I often see posts on Facebook etc of 'aww look at -cat's name- cuddling up with -dragon- aren't they cute!' and it makes my blood boil.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
It should be as fresh as possible for them to be able to get the best information. I used a tupperware container and a spoon :p

SDragons

Juvie Member
I put mine in a shallow bath and had a ziplock bag ready. As soon as I saw the tail lift a stuck the ziplock bag under and caught the poop. I practiced a number of times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom