Poo assisting greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masick

Hey Everyone its been a while, but I have run into a little speed bump with the babies Cookies and Cream. Well, particularly Cream. Cream has just not been eating well lately. He is just shy of 6 months and I remember reading that they normally wont brumate till they are a little older so that set off some red flags. Still, I didn't think much of it because Cream gets really testy when he is about to shed. WELL...it has been a week and no signs of shedding. He wont even eat mealworms now (although today I caught him munching on some greens). He isnt loosing weight, but he isnt gaining weight like his sister either. I took him to the vet and she says that he seems fine physically, but because he hasn't really been eating he hasnt been pooing either for a stool sample. His UVB light is just about three months old, basking temp is 103 F (digital) cool side about 85 F. He has plenty of room in over a 75 gal viv. Everything has been perfect up-to-date minus this. Oh I did forget to mention that he had some runny poo which is when I made an apt with the vet, but now I had no poo to give her to check for me. SO my question is What foods are best to get him to poo? . I tried bathing him today before the vets visit, but all I got was a tiny unusable bit of runny grossness. Like I said, he did nibble on some greens today, so I was gunna try feeding him some greens that will hopefully get him to poo otherwise its bloodwork for Cream and he wasnt all to pleased with the vet just looking at his mouth and stuff today (LOL).

Also...

My vet says that if Cream has a nasty bug that we should just treat both Cookies AND Cream because I handle them both, they use the same cage to eat (at different times), same bath etc. is this a good idea? Cookies seems fine (a little fat even), but I cant really afford for them BOTH to get fecal exams and followups etc and she said she would just prescribe it to them both with a positive fecal from just one. Thoughts?

Thanks guys :)
Amanda
<3 Beardies4Life

Kaiser

Juvie Member
My first concern would be your statement of about your bearded dragons being fed mealworms. Mealworms tend to be difficult to properly digest, particularly due to their hard, chiton shell. This could be the cause for the potential impaction, making it difficult for Cream to pass it out of his system. Although mealworms aren't typically suggested, I have heard that they can be fed if the bearded dragon is of a certain size. But I would try switching to another feeder alternative, and seeing if that improves his condition.

If it doesn't help, or if it's just not possible for you, I have heard that varieties of squashes (fresh or baby food) have some mild, laxative-like effects. The feces will most likely come out slightly runny, however, so not so useful for lab analyses, but it'll at least help with any potential impactions.

If you do feel it's medical related, I would recommend taking the tests for both, for the very same reasons your vet has mentioned. Additionally, you mentioned they use the same cage to eat, but are they housed together as well? Also, another concern is the fact that your veterinarian said she would "just prescribe it to them both with a positive fecal from just one." It shouldn't be assumed that if one test comes back positive, that both will have a condition (though it certainly is possible). If that assumption is made, and you give prescribed medication to one of your bearded dragons that didn't have any complications to begin with, it could cause some health issues for that dragon.

But if you truly cannot afford both, it's better to test one than not to test either. Not exactly sure what I would do about giving medication to the other dragon without a fecal being done, though. I can understand the logic of prescribing it to both based on one fecal test considering their similar handling and feeding/bathing conditions, but I feel like there's a potential risk by doing that.

But please do get more opinions on that, as well as more suggestions of laxative-like foods. I hope my little input was helpful.

Masick

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.

The meal worms were the small ones and were a rare treat for them. When Cream stopped eating that was the only thing he would eat so I figured better for him to have something than nothing at all. He stopped eating even those too, however, over the weekend. I would fed him some other type of worm if I could find any, but the local stores don't carry much (My breeder actually ordered something else for me which should be here today or tomorrow). No, they are not housed together, but I have one feeder cage for their crickets and they take turns in there. I also bathe them together, take them out together to run around on me, the bed, etc.

I have some squash, I will give it a try, but you said that if the fecal is runny its not usable to a lab? Hothing w well formed does it have to be for them to be able to use it?

Thanks again

Kaiser

Juvie Member
If you're looking for different types of worms, you might not find much of a variety at your local pet stores. I would recommend looking to order from online; some of the more popular types being black soldier fly larvae (most commonly under the brand names of "Reptiworms" or "Phoenix Worms"), silk worms, etc. If your breeder ordered something for you, hopefully that will be better for your bearded dragons, and if so, hopefully you can continue to get those from them.

And thanks for the information concerning the housing. I still think they should both be tested, nonetheless.

Well, I don't actually know how solid and formed it would have to be to make it possible for a fecal test, but it would probably have to at least be collectible and distinguishable. I was just saying it might not be so helpful, because I assumed the "tiny unusable bit of runny grossness" was because it was too runny, and since squash makes feces even runnier, I assumed it would just be even more unusable. But if you can at least scoop it up into a container or a bag, I don't see why it couldn't be usable.

Keep us up to date on how things go, please. And best wishes!

Masick

Original Poster
YAY! Cream pooed today :) I have never been happier about poo before lmao! Well formed, good amount.

Taking it to the vets office soon as my fiance gets home. The funny thing is that he is eating again out of no where, but I am going to go ahead and take this in anyway and get it tested.

Ill keep you all updated :)

Masick

Kaiser

Juvie Member
Masick":r5awl26i said:
YAY! Cream pooed today :) I have never been happier about poo before lmao! Well formed, good amount.

Taking it to the vets office soon as my fiance gets home. The funny thing is that he is eating again out of no where, but I am going to go ahead and take this in anyway and get it tested.

Ill keep you all updated :)

Masick

Glad to hear it! And ha ha, I just have to say, that part about being "happy about the poo" made me laugh. :]

Anyway, it's also great that you're still taking Cream in to the vet's office. If there was a problem before, if nothing is changed or done about it, then it may just come back again. So I'm glad you're still taking him in. Let us know how he is!

Masick

Original Poster
So, update :)

Yet another poo yesterday to brag about (sad isn't it when your happy about cleaning poo? I think that should go under "you know your beardie is spoiled when...post lol). Took up fresh poo to the vet, should know something today. I'll keep you posted ^.^

Thanks for all the help

Masick

Masick

Original Poster
As promised, an update.

So Cream had pinworms. He is being treated (though he isnt happy about it). he is on the mend, eating like he should.

Amanda

Kaiser

Juvie Member
Masick":3kwzj1f4 said:
As promised, an update.

So Cream had pinworms. He is being treated (though he isnt happy about it). he is on the mend, eating like he should.

Amanda

Sorry to hear Cream has pinworms. But I am glad that he is getting proper treatment, and that he's getting better! Good luck in getting him happy and healthy again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom