Ponazuril suspension 75 mg Dosage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilYoul

I was just curious on what dosage i would need for my bearded dragon he weighs 393 Grams. A lot of people say 0.1ml but I see most of there beardies weigh a little less than mine. I've had to give my bearded dragon Albon about 3 times in the past year and it always comes back would giving him this make a difference?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is the 75mg per tablet, correct on the Ponazuril? I can help you with compounding it if you need to properly dose him. The usualy dose is 20mg/kg for dosing.

Tracie

EvilYoul

Original Poster
It's in a liquid form already and I haven't received it yet. I requested to get the Ponazuril suspension with my vet and gave them a couple of websites I found on other forums and gave them a fecal and they called me today and said he did have coccidia back again. And they acted really uneducated about this Medicine and told me to dose him 0.4ml for 28 days in a row i said something don't sound right about your dosage I said I read online it only takes 1 to 2 dosages to get rid of it. So I'm definitely gonna need your help lol. I'm not sure about the concentrate I just read on the website and it said 75 milligrams. Also the vet said I see this is the 3rd time hes had coccidia and i said yeah and they said somehow he's picking back up from somewhere, now i've always mixed water and ammonia together inside a squirt bottle and sprayed the cage down really good with it, the cage is made out of cheap melamine wood. I didn't build this inclosure myself I bought it off a guy on craigslist who used to have a snake and it died in the cage. I don't know if maybe I should take the cage completely apart to get down in the corners and crevices or just add more ammonia to the water and kinda make sure it gets down into the crevices and also with his basking rocks there too big to boil so i always poored boiling water on top of them and Idk how good that works. I did my cleaning routines every single day that i treated him with the albon and a week there after. I just wonder if maybe he's keeping a low count of coccidia in his system or if my cleaning just isn't enough. I'd appreciate it if you could help me with the dosages and proper cleaning because i don't want my little guy to get sick anymore.. it sucks seeing him like this it seems like his whole entire life he's had to deal with and fight this horrible nasty thing.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The cleaning of water & ammonia sounds fine as long as you clean the substrate & the items for basking like wood items, etc.
What substrate do you use?
You could use cardboard boxes instead of his normal basking logs, or other items to help with keeping it cleaner.
What are his counts of coccidia, did the vet say?
The 28 days is a little long for the medication duration I agree.
Did you need it dosed for 75mg/ml?

Tracie

EvilYoul

Original Poster
Yeah I just need the ml dosage and I'll probably go two days since he's been consistent with coccida. Do you think its 0.4ml im pretty sure its 75mg but maybe i should wait and see what the bottle say's and msg you I wont get it for a couple days. And I asked the vet how bad he was and they said they couldn't tell from my sample because it wasn't that fresh. It's really hard for me to get a fresh sample because i work mid shift and by the time i get home he's ready for bed.

EvilYoul

Original Poster
And I don't use any substrate I keep him on a blanket but i'm gonna throw it out and buy him a new one when he gets better.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
also the basking rocks can be put in the oven (if wood) at I think 300 for 20 minutes. I always do mine at 250 for 30 mins

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How did the dosing go, when are you starting the Ponazuril for him?
The .4ml is fine for his weight of 393 grams with the 20mg/ml. That is a dose of 20mg/kg for him, which is correct.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

EvilYoul

Original Poster
I started it yesterday his limbs where a little twitchy before I started the meds. I think the coccidia was starting to get the best of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom