Polar Fleece Substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this in my intro thread, but received very little reply to questions. So now I'm posting the same question here. :) I used to own guinea pigs and to save money and be more "green" I decided to use polar fleece as a bedding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_fleece). It worked great. The guinea pigs didn't get their nails caught at all.

Do you think using polar fleece would be a good option, similar to shelf lining? With guinea pigs, people use old towels underneath the fleece to absorb the urine. It's all machine washable. Opinions?

LittleDuudeIsAGirl

Hatchling Member
I think it would work..but the heat from the heat lamp...you dont think that could be a fire hazard do you?

also..i think it would be a pain to wash..cause they poop every day or 2 days..so you would have to take it all out..wash it..then put it back..cause material would absorb all the moisture and liquid from their poops..ya know?

thats just my opinion on it..but if you wanted to use it..im sure you could..plus its soft..and bds love that. :)
lol

EarthUponWater

Original Poster
I don't think the pooing would be too much of a problem. Remember, guinea pigs poo or pee every 30 minutes or so, some can hold it for an hour if they are trained. Usually guinea pig owners who use fleece have at least two sets. This way, while one set is in the wash, a clean set can be put on without the wait.

As for the heating/basking area, maybe use some slate or something on top of the fleece?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom