PLS HELP W/LIGHTING, HABITAT, ETC

Status
Not open for further replies.

onealcm

Hi,
So I’m actually very new with this reptile thing, I purchased my bearded dragon 2 days ago. I’ve been doing as much researching as I can on lighting, feeding, habitat, etc. I have ALOT of questions.

I have a UVB light and a red basking light. Thermometer stays in between both of them and it has been at 90 Degrees and humidity is between 30-35 degrees.

From researching it has been said to turn the UVB light off at night?? I did this the night before and woke up with he/she on the glass and hind legs on hammock.

He/she is still small so I’m scared it doesn’t know how to regulate it’s temperature like adults do.

Do I need 2 or 3 lights?

Any suggests?

103959-13009185.jpg
103959-8285654969.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

A couple things.

Firstly, it should be completely dark at night. That means no lights, including the red light.
For a baking bulb you need a white light, not colored. In fact, your red bulb doesn't really serve a purpose for bearded dragons.
Additionally, you can not trust those dial thermometers. Not only do they have no way of measuring the basking surface, which is the most important temperature, but they've been proven to be over 40 degrees off in certain situations. Basically they are junk and you can't rely on them for a proper temperature reading. And proper temperatures are extremely important for the health of your dragon.

Lastly, it looks like your uvb might be a CFL? The compact coil bulb. If this is the case you're going to want to change that out asap to a reptisun 10.0 HO or the Arcadia 12%
The coil bulbs don't put ot proper amounts of uvb for our dragons and the light they put out can potentially damage their eyes.

-Brandon

onealcm

Original Poster
claudiusx":3uuudpyo said:
Hi there,

A couple things.

Firstly, it should be completely dark at night. That means no lights, including the red light.
For a baking bulb you need a white light, not colored. In fact, your red bulb doesn't really serve a purpose for bearded dragons.
Additionally, you can not trust those dial thermometers. Not only do they have no way of measuring the basking surface, which is the most important temperature, but they've been proven to be over 40 degrees off in certain situations. Basically they are junk and you can't rely on them for a proper temperature reading. And proper temperatures are extremely important for the health of your dragon.

Lastly, it looks like your uvb might be a CFL? The compact coil bulb. If this is the case you're going to want to change that out asap to a reptisun 10.0 HO or the Arcadia 12%
The coil bulbs don't put ot proper amounts of uvb for our dragons and the light they put out can potentially damage their eyes.

-Brandon

Thank you for the information!!! Definitely helps.
I’m scared turning the lights off at night since he/she is so little it can’t regualte it’s temperature at that age like adults too, but like I said I’ve never owned one so I may be wrong.
He/she spends majority of its time under the red bulb, my friend has the red bulb for basking and the UVB with her dragon for 2 years. I stuck my hands in the tank to make sure it did put a lot of heat, oh boy it did.

Do you recommend a thermometer? I had the Zilla one at first, and that one wasn’t no good either! So I figured as for now to get something a little more accurate. Money is low right now.

I believe is the Reptisun 10.00 UVB, 100 WATTS, which the pet store told me I NEEDED, lol.

Like I said I’m new at all of this. I’ve heard to turn the lights off at night, then not too since it’s so little still and he won’t adapt to anything.
I’m confused on all the lights! I’ve researched and researched.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Good day--- here is some info on the UVB for you --- Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% or 14%). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s HO are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Please tell your friend that she is causing damage to her bearded dragons eyes -- it will eventually start to show in their behavior--- get rid of the red bulbs-- all you want for them is white--- I recommend you get a Infrared Heat gun from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes-- they are the most accurate at taking temps-- $10--- you can also get a digital probe for the tank it would be the best for getting ambient temps-- You want a TUBE not a COIL for your UVB! So you will need a regular fixture for a T8 bulb and a flat fixture for the T5 HO or the Arcadia 12 or 14%-- the Arcadias are a strong bulb-- I sent you the info on those bulbs -- but please get rid of the red bulbs--- no colored bulbs are good for dragons-- you haft to think about this do they have colored bulbs or lights in the wild???? NO---
thanks Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You should read the sticky at the top of this section titled lighting help for newbies. Lots of good info in there for ya :)

Beardies being cold blooded only can regulate there temperature in the sense of going to bask to get warm, or not to cool down. At night if your house doesn't get below 65 or so (I let mine get lower) you dont need to add any heat. Pure darkness and a cooling down time is very natural to them and necessary. If it gets too cold in your house at night you can add heat with a ceramic heat emitter. You dont want to use a colored bulb. Like I said, it's best to provide total darkness. If you can see the red light, they definitely can and most likely in a much more vivid manner. Remember us as humans have 3 cones in our eyes which allow us to see a set spectrum of light. Dragons have 4, allowing them to see even more of the lighting spectrum than we can. If you can see it, they definitely can see it.

As far as thermometer, really have half decent infrared gun will work well. They can usually be had for less than $20. Additionally, the digital with probe end thermometers are usually even cheaper and they are decently accurate too. Temperatures are important so make sure you get something!

I highly suggest reading that thread I mentioned. But a quick run down for you to help ease lighting confusion.

You need a bright white basking bulb. This provides heat.
You need a GOOD uvb bulb. This will be a reptisun 10.0 HO tube, or the Arcadia 12% tube. You could also use the regular reptisun 10.0 as long as it's the long tube version not the compact coil version.

Those are the only 2 lights you need.
If you need extra heat at night you use a ceramic heat emitter. This provides heat but no visible light, and is thus suitable for night time use.

-Brandon

onealcm

Original Poster
claudiusx":3k9dbqp0 said:
You should read the sticky at the top of this section titled lighting help for newbies. Lots of good info in there for ya :)

Beardies being cold blooded only can regulate there temperature in the sense of going to bask to get warm, or not to cool down. At night if your house doesn't get below 65 or so (I let mine get lower) you dont need to add any heat. Pure darkness and a cooling down time is very natural to them and necessary. If it gets too cold in your house at night you can add heat with a ceramic heat emitter. You dont want to use a colored bulb. Like I said, it's best to provide total darkness. If you can see the red light, they definitely can and most likely in a much more vivid manner. Remember us as humans have 3 cones in our eyes which allow us to see a set spectrum of light. Dragons have 4, allowing them to see even more of the lighting spectrum than we can. If you can see it, they definitely can see it.

As far as thermometer, really have half decent infrared gun will work well. They can usually be had for less than $20. Additionally, the digital with probe end thermometers are usually even cheaper and they are decently accurate too. Temperatures are important so make sure you get something!

I highly suggest reading that thread I mentioned. But a quick run down for you to help ease lighting confusion.

You need a bright white basking bulb. This provides heat.
You need a GOOD uvb bulb. This will be a reptisun 10.0 HO tube, or the Arcadia 12% tube. You could also use the regular reptisun 10.0 as long as it's the long tube version not the compact coil version.

Those are the only 2 lights you need.
If you need extra heat at night you use a ceramic heat emitter. This provides heat but no visible light, and is thus suitable for night time use.

-Brandon

Thank you!
So completely get red of the red bulb that we use for the basking/night light?
The UVB light I have is the Repticon 10.00 UVB 13 Watts, I’m assuming I need to up the watts for that one.

For the basking white bulb, does it matter the brand/watts/etc? The red one I have putts off a good bit of heat but I want my baby to stay healthy and live longer.
Anything helps!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No red lights at all -- no colored bulbs at all ! All you need is a bright white basking bulb that keeps basking temp 90-100 for adults 100-110 for babies --- Your UVB is it a Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO or a T8 I have a T5 HO that is a 24 watt--- which I was told is equivalent to a T8 bulb--- the difference between bulbs is where they need to be placed in the tank --- for a 10.0 T5 HO bulb 10-11 inches for a 10.0 T8 bulb 8-10 inches -- the T5 bulb takes a flat fixture -- the T8 bulb takes a regular fixture and can be bought at PetSmart or Petco --- since I have the T5 fixture I had to order mine on line and put the Arcadia 14% bulb in -- that is a 24 watt bulb but also stronger UVB rays - so it sits 15" from basking spot- if you have wide screen on top of your tank a 10.0 T5 HO can go on top but if its fine mesh it does need to go inside as the UVB rays are blocked by the screen-- just make sure its a 10.0 bulb as they sell 5.0 bulbs and that is what my T5 fixture came w/ -- so I also got the Arcadia 14% bulb -- you can look at PetSmart or Petco for a basking bulb -- others on here use different basking bulbs/ ? that are cheaper I have never tried them -- I usually have the Exo Terro basking bulb 100 watt-- you will haft to do trial and error w/ basking temps-- just make sure to get a Infrared Heat Gun for the best accurate temp-- you can get those at Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10 or so --- what size is your tank ?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lea K
Top Bottom