PLS HELP...Can natural sun light reverse early signs of MBD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah26

My first reptile, my 7 months old bearded dragon has early signs of MBD, or so I think. He had a spasm (shaked his head) slightly.
I suspect it's MBD for the reason that I have been waiting for my 100 watts Meg ray bulb for a month, and when I finally got the bulb, it did so much more harm than good, it made his eyes close, and gave me a haaard time. So I took it out, and upgraded his tank (75 gallons), thinking that might solve the fiasco making the bulb 19 inches away from him... Inspite of that, his eye problems came back yet again... I now resort to natural sunlight, 3-6 hrs a day under the sun, don't worry I'm right there next to him and he is has shade to hide from the sun if he wished to, + I make sure he stays hydrated by giving him water using a syringe + I give him breaks, he is out 2 hrs, then in again for an hour then out again... Just to make sure he doesn't over-heat.

The Mega Ray is an AMAZING bulb, the very best in the market, always has been. But to my HORRRIBLE luck, I ordered my bulb in the midst of the fiasco that they are currently facing. Yes I know my life sux.

He is not eating now, one or 2 mealies a day... I don't like offering mealies but that is all he will have, and now not even that...
I dust his veggies and insects 5 times a day... (He won't even touch veggies now) He is alert and slightly active, but I have never been more worried.

I can't order any other bulbs right now, I have A LOT of bills related to his care that I have yet to pay.
I have a lil saved for his coming vet appointment and food. Thats it.

S0...
The Q is, can sunlight reverse his MBD?
Can it make him healthy and eat again?

PLEASE Help...

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
First off, you should contact reptileuv.com (I'm assuming you bought it from them) and tell them the problem you had with it. They will take care of you. They are good about that. You can use the reptisun 10 tube that you can get for about $20 plus shipping.

About the real sun, yes it does help them, especially when it's warm enough and not cold/wet. We take our girls outside for real sun for at least an hour a day. It's good where I live because we are able to give them good warmth, somedays it's too warm if you take them out at 10 am. I remember reading some years ago that one hour out in the sun is equal to 4 hours with a mega ray. As you mentioned, we also don't leave them outside alone. There are too many preditors (roadrunners, large birds, snakes sometimes, etc)

I hope things get better for you. As I mentioned above, do contact reptileuv. I have a 60 watt eb setup and a problem developed with the ballast box. They are going to replace it but are waiting for more ballasts to come in. They will take care of you, they are concerned about reptiles' health.

Here is a 30 page thread about the problems with the mega rays. Check it out.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=121986

Sarah26

Original Poster
beardie parents":g7f4zobz said:
First off, you should contact reptileuv.com (I'm assuming you bought it from them) and tell them the problem you had with it. They will take care of you. They are good about that. You can use the reptisun 10 tube that you can get for about $20 plus shipping.

About the real sun, yes it does help them, especially when it's warm enough and not cold/wet. We take our girls outside for real sun for at least an hour a day. It's good where I live because we are able to give them good warmth, somedays it's too warm if you take them out at 10 am. I remember reading some years ago that one hour out in the sun is equal to 4 hours with a mega ray. As you mentioned, we also don't leave them outside alone. There are too many preditors (roadrunners, large birds, snakes sometimes, etc)

I hope things get better for you. As I mentioned above, do contact reptileuv. I have a 60 watt eb setup and a problem developed with the ballast box. They are going to replace it but are waiting for more ballasts to come in. They will take care of you, they are concerned about reptiles' health.

Here is a 30 page thread about the problems with the mega rays. Check it out.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=121986

Thanks for replying:)
I did contact them, and thankfully they will send a bulb, I know they are the BEST in terms of care and lights, but it will take a few weeks! It is very warm outside, I keep him secured in a big hamster cage with a lid, that protects him yet allows uv to reach him. I try to expose him for the whole day, with breaks so that he doesn't over-heat, it gets pretty hot here, like 45C on some days, you can boil an egg under this sun! lol

I can't get a reptisun coz it's rated american voltages, and where I live, it is 220V meaning europian.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Are you in the UK? If you are, the best uvb you can get is the arcadia 12% tube. From what I've read it's a little better than the reptisun 10 tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom