Plexiglass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freaknassy

I'm a fairly new beardie owner and am currently builing a habitat for my beardie. I'm finished with the wooden frame for it but was curious if plexiglass would be a bad idea for the back and side walls. I'm gonna put glass in the front but aint sure if plexiglass around would cause it to contain too much heat or just generally not be a good idea for back and side walls.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Plexiglass should be fine if you can hold temps right. Only thing is it might eventually get scratched up.

Why use real glass in front and plexi elsewhere, as opposed to just all one or the other?

freaknassy

Original Poster
I was considering using glass in the front for the look mainly. I'm on a pretty tight budget right now for materials and I already have a 10'X10' sheet of plexiglass that's in my garage that was gonna be for another project. I'm also considering using 1/2 inch Pine for the back and sides.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
freaknassy":1zxuenfl said:
I'm gonna put glass in the front but aint sure if plexiglass around would cause it to contain too much heat or just generally not be a good idea for back and side walls.

Most people use 1/2" - 3/4" plywood or melamine coated particle board for the back and sides, so if anything I'd be worried that plexiglass / acrylic wouldn't hold enough heat in, unless it is pretty thick. I think glass is technically a better insulator, but in this case I don't think it's really going to matter, assuming the plexi is thick enough.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
"U-Factor - heat transfer through .187" thick acrylic is approximately 20% less than through equivalent thickness of glass." - http://www.rplastics.com/plexprimer.html

Was pretty sure but I wanted a site that said this as well. Plexiglass is actually a better insulator than glass is, and from what I understand this is primarily due to the fact that the plexiglass is a solid, whereas glass is a supercooled liquid. To make glass they heat it up til molten, then supercool down to the glass transition temperature in order to force it into solidifying before it has time to phase transfer to its solid crystalline structure. This basically gives glass the atomic structure of a liquid, while maintaining some physical properties of the solid, and as such heat is transferred more easily than in Plexiglas.

EDIT: all that and I forgot to address the actual concern of the OP lol, plexi won't hold too much heat, if anything just drop the wattage of your bulbs or raise them up higher. If you're dropping wattage because of higher insulation from plexi (assuming you already have a bulb laying around you can use) then you'll be saving on your power bill, granted that it probably wouldn't be any sort of noticeable savings lol. I have plexi as a front on my viv and temps are fine. Biggest thing I'd worry about with it is that it can scratch kinda easy compared to real glass. Both plexi and real glass are great options, its just they each have their own advantages and you have to decide what it is you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom