PLEASEEE HELP!!!!! I think my baby beardie is dying!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok I am going to chime in here --- your UVB can stay on top of the tank -- you have a wide hole screen place a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB 8-10 inches --- watch his behavior - but you really need those probe thermometers when you get the probe place it on the spot where he basking for like 10 min or so temps 105-110-- you dont need to leave it there stick to the side of the tank and spot check it every 10 days or so--- continue to offer food the BSFL are a great staple feeder you can use those as salad lures -- drop them on his salads in front of him --- you will need a ceramic / glass bowl to keep them in something like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
keep offering the water on his nose its good he drank from that bathing stresses them out more -- when he starts eating here hopefully soon it may be slow going hes going thru relocation stress right now so his eating will be off but we want him eating something -- nothing is not good --- once everything in the tank is up to par that should switch around for the behavior eating pooping basking etc -- keep us posted please - everyone has given some good advice --

MushuMiami

Original Poster
i'm glad you were able to get the new light today and were able to place it unobstructed. you're going to want a piece of basking decor 12"-15" directly below it. he still won't be getting much of the uvb if he stays where he is currently at under the basking bulb, although it will be more than you had with the old light. try sliding the uvb to the other end, leaving the cool side to be the no uvb zone, and then push the basking bulb up against it. then adjust his food bowls a little so you can angle the piece he is basking on to be in the area where the two lights overlap. since he doesn't drink from the water bowl, i'd take it out all together. (unless you are using it to help maintain humidity levels.) here's a very crude sketch of what i'm talking about. this is of course to make use of what you currently have. you may wind up needing to go with some different decor pieces.

View attachment 79670
Thank you so much for the diagram, I made the changes this morning. Here are some pictures below of how we’re looking now. He also seems to be much more active today, he finally moved from the spot he was in the last few days.

Attachments

• 2D6717CA-99A1-43E9-B62F-5F6053D02846.jpeg
    2D6717CA-99A1-43E9-B62F-5F6053D02846.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 3CBB1049-7AC1-491D-80CD-46DBFB1BF6D8.jpeg
    3CBB1049-7AC1-491D-80CD-46DBFB1BF6D8.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 74

MushuMiami

Original Poster
Hi there, he doesn't look too bad in that photo. He looks like he's going into shed too. I'd hold off on mealworms I think they can cause impaction. A good feeder for him would be black soldier fly larvae, lots of them :)

If he's taking water off the dropper that's excellent. Its great you're fixing the lighting so quickly, give him a little time and patience he may easily bounce back. Has he pooed yet ?

Edit: Axil beat me to it! Great advice as usual from Axil
That's great that you got some water in him. If he doesn't drink in the bath i'd stop those for now. Did you notice if he pooped after the eating stopped? Dehydration and mealworms could make him prone to impaction.

As for the UVB light. If you can attach it to the underside of your screen 12-15in over the top of his basking décor he will get the most benefit. I used zipties to attach mine.

When you are feeding make sure you offer insects smaller than the space between his eyes. BSFL (black soldier fly larvae) are available to my local petsmart. If you have access to them they are great, especially for little guys. 1/4in Dubai work pretty well too. I get mine from dubiaroaches. You can get other feeders like the BSFL from there as well but obviously you've got to wait for it to ship.

Also offer greens (Collard Greens / Kale / Dandelion Greens) mist them heavily in water and offer little pieces. Typically dragon's find insects more appealing, but he needs veggies too, and since he's thirsty he might surprise you and eat some.

Wishing you guys the best.
I will work on getting the BSFL today from a local pet store as well as the dubia roaches. The only feeders I have on hand right now are meal worms and crickets, I tried offering the crickets again this morning and he refused to eat them. I offered him a couple of meal worms and he ate about 3, I know meal worms aren’t the best but I will work on getting him other feeders asap.

He seems to be much more alert today so I definitely think he was dehydrated, I’m going to continue keeping him hydrated by doing the eye dropper method.

Also, the last time he pooped was about 2 days ago, all though I do offer him veggies he barley eats them, but someone did mention to add the BSFL to the veggies so I will give that a try.

Thank you for all of your help!

MushuMiami

Original Poster
Hi there, he doesn't look too bad in that photo. He looks like he's going into shed too. I'd hold off on mealworms I think they can cause impaction. A good feeder for him would be black soldier fly larvae, lots of them :)

If he's taking water off the dropper that's excellent. Its great you're fixing the lighting so quickly, give him a little time and patience he may easily bounce back. Has he pooed yet ?

Edit: Axil beat me to it! Great advice as usual from Axil 😊
Great callout! It does seem like he is starting to shed and I am working on getting him the BSFL today. He hasn’t pooped within in the last two days, so hopefully once he starts eating he’ll be back on track.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He looks a little better in the new pics, hopefully he makes a speedy recovery 🙂

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
I will work on getting the BSFL today from a local pet store as well as the dubia roaches. The only feeders I have on hand right now are meal worms and crickets, I tried offering the crickets again this morning and he refused to eat them. I offered him a couple of meal worms and he ate about 3, I know meal worms aren’t the best but I will work on getting him other feeders asap.

He seems to be much more alert today so I definitely think he was dehydrated, I’m going to continue keeping him hydrated by doing the eye dropper method.

Also, the last time he pooped was about 2 days ago, all though I do offer him veggies he barley eats them, but someone did mention to add the BSFL to the veggies so I will give that a try.

Thank you for all of your help!
Hopefully he'll like the BSFL. They will move like mealworms. You can let them crawl around the enclosure for a few minutes where he can see and that might stimulate his appetite. Beebz tends to get more excited over food that is loose in the enclosure as opposed to a bowl. The fact he's eating any salad is a positive.

Just keep an eye out for any new poo, to make sure he's digesting the mealworms ok. If he is he can have a couple on occasion, they just need to be moderated due to the fat content.

Glad he's active, eating a little and taking water. He may feel better once he gets through his shed as well.

MushuMiami

Original Poster
Hopefully he'll like the BSFL. They will move like mealworms. You can let them crawl around the enclosure for a few minutes where he can see and that might stimulate his appetite. Beebz tends to get more excited over food that is loose in the enclosure as opposed to a bowl. The fact he's eating any salad is a positive.

Just keep an eye out for any new poo, to make sure he's digesting the mealworms ok. If he is he can have a couple on occasion, they just need to be moderated due to the fat content.

Glad he's active, eating a little and taking water. He may feel better once he gets through his shed as well.
So I can’t seem to find any BSFL at any local pet stores near me so I will need to order them online and they will be here by Friday. Should I start off with x-small or small? I may need to continue feeding him the meal worms if he continues to reject the crickets until the end of the week so that he is at least eating something but I will keep monitoring him. I will continue to offer a couple crickets during all feedings.

Yes! He’s the same way he will only eat his food if it moves around. I will continue to keep an eye out for any poop.

Thank you!

MushuMiami

Original Poster
He looks a little better in the new pics, hopefully he makes a speedy recovery 🙂
Thank you! He is much more active today and he’s been awake most of the day (he was sleeping all day and night before), he has been moving back and from between the hot and cool side of the tank instead of sitting in one place all day. He starting to eat a little today not much, but I’m hoping his appetite will pick up soon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So I can’t seem to find any BSFL at any local pet stores near me so I will need to order them online and they will be here by Friday. Should I start off with x-small or small? I may need to continue feeding him the meal worms if he continues to reject the crickets until the end of the week so that he is at least eating something but I will keep monitoring him. I will continue to offer a couple crickets during all feedings.

Yes! He’s the same way he will only eat his food if it moves around. I will continue to keep an eye out for any poop.

Thank you!
He should be able to eat medium ones they are small and soft larvae -- www.symtonbsf.com - I would get him some dubia roaches as well - get those no bigger than the space between the eyes and feed crickets first NO meal worms -- those will impact him -- keep offering those and salads -- go w/ small dubias

MushuMiami

Original Poster
He should be able to eat medium ones they are small and soft larvae -- www.symtonbsf.com - I would get him some dubia roaches as well - get those no bigger than the space between the eyes and feed crickets first NO meal worms -- those will impact him -- keep offering those and salads -- go w/ small dubias
Thank you! Unfortunately I am unable to shop on that particular website, they don’t ship to my state. I found another website called the critter depot I was thinking of ordering from there and doing over night shipping to get them here faster. If you have any other reputable websites please let me know

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you! Unfortunately I am unable to shop on that particular website, they don’t ship to my state. I found another website called the critter depot I was thinking of ordering from there and doing over night shipping to get them here faster. If you have any other reputable websites please let me know
www.dubiaroaches.com they call them nutri grubs- www.reptilianarts.com you can get some hornworms and small super worms as well good for salads lures- 1-3 super worms every couple days the horn worms 1-2 everyday

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
I would suggest blending up some "Bug juice" (Crickets, worms, leafy greens, fruit, calcium, lots and lots of water) in a blender and giving it to the beardie in small doses through a syringe

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Hmm, are you in Florida? Your name should've given me a clue. Dubai Roaches are not available in Florida, due to concerns they could establish and become invasive. BSFL should be, I believe they are native.

You can try maiming a cricket by removing the hind legs to see if that will slow it down enough for him to become interested. I have also heard of people making slurrys like @Lyrebird.Rainwing mentioned, though i've had no personal experience with that so can't comment on recipes or how to administer it effectively.

MushuMiami

Original Poster
Hmm, are you in Florida? Your name should've given me a clue. Dubai Roaches are not available in Florida, due to concerns they could establish and become invasive. BSFL should be, I believe they are native.

You can try maiming a cricket by removing the hind legs to see if that will slow it down enough for him to become interested. I have also heard of people making slurrys like @Lyrebird.Rainwing mentioned, though i've had no personal experience with that so can't comment on recipes or how to administer it effectively.
Yes, I’m in Florida. I was able to order off of the Dubia website and I just ordered the BSFL, horn worms and super worms they’ll be here in a few days I didn’t order the roaches because I’m not too fond of roaches lol and like you said they can become invasive. I have tried maiming the crickets today but he showed no interested and he seems to only want to eat the warms for now, I’m just glad he’s finally eating. I’m going to try the crickets again tomorrow to see if I have any luck, he seems to be heading in the right direction and gaining more energy since receiving the new ubv and since I’ve been keeping him hydrated.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom