please.. tutorial on genetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnsNova

I have a nearly 11 month old male German giant / Sandfire cross.
I will have the pleasure of picking up his lovely mail order bride on June 1St. She is a two month old citrus tiger leatherback het for trans het hypo.
Could some explain the het trans hypo portion to me? Anyone else set up a similar pairing?
Here she is: The breeder said he is guaranteeing female. Is that possible that young? My male was purchased at about the same age with complete assurity it was girl, which I wanted to start off with.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Dawn

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi dawn

To break it down, hypo, and trans are morphs. Hypo is a lack of black pigment, and trans is a dragon with transparent skin, often accompanied by pure black eyes.

The het part means they are heterozygous for that trait, which in a nutshell means they do carry the gene in their body, it is just dormant. This trait will never show outwardly in said dragon, but if bred with another dragon, there is a chance these genes will be passed on (depending on the genes of the dragon being mated with) and be showing in some of the offspring.

-Brandon

kankri

The babies from the (possible) pairing would be 50% leatherback, 50% normal. Without seeing pictures of the parents since one is citrus and the other sandfire? I'm going to say they're gonna end up a yellowish orange.

Each baby would have a 50% chance of being het for hypo and/or het for trans.

You would not be able to tell whether or not the babies are het for either until bred.

The babies may or may not be "tiger" (have strong striping).

I personally wouldn't do this pairing but it's up to you.

The breeder says he is guaranteeing female so he'll have his problem if it doesn't end up female. I don't think it's really possible to guarantee sex at that age without probing, but it's possible to make a reasonable guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom