please post the pics of your Vivs

Status
Not open for further replies.
wanted to see other peoples ideas for there vivs so i decided to create this. i have put a pic of mine just to get started. so if you think your viv looks good or has good ideas in it please post a pic here! thanks

this is my viv before i extend it next week
DSC01123.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hello Rockstar,

Nice looking viv. You may want to check out the "Viv Pics Only" thread here on the "Enclosures" forum:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66704

It's been on-going awhile, tons of pics to go through, lots of fun and ideas! May want to add your own as well!

The best,
Em

spyder79

Extreme Poster
these are the tanks i had made for my three children. they are great and since they are stacks they save on space. 65 gallons each

alltanks.jpg

bellastank.jpg

bellastank.jpg

mischa

Juvie Member
Rockstar1992 do you have a baby beardie housed with an adult beardie? If so this is really bad as the adult beardie will eat your baby!

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
mischa":81e55 said:
Rockstar1992 do you have a baby beardie housed with an adult beardie? If so this is really bad as the adult beardie will eat your baby!

Wow, I totally missed the little fella sitting next to the adult when I looked at the pic the first time. :eek: Indeed, I must second mischa's caution here. There is extreme risk associated with housing more than one dragon in an enclosure, and the risk is even more serious with an adult and young dragon together. Are you planning to separate them?

Also, the sand. I realize there are many who say it's fine, but many here aren't for taking the risk of housing beardies on sand, esp. vita/calci/pet store types, as they present a serious impaction risk... especially for babes and juvies. Just my .02 for whatever that's worth.

The best,
Em

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Ho-ly crap I missed that too.

Please please please seperate them immediately.

Even if your older dragon has not shown any violence yet, trust me, it IS coming.
Dragons of the same size and age can be incredibly territorial and violent to wards one another, but a baby will be viewed as nothing more than an irratation which is quickly rectifiable with a bite.
In the wild dragons will often eat smaller species of dragon as a snack.

I want you to have a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=99997&hilit=+bitten
It shows EXACTLY what is going on here. An adult with a youngster. Happy one minute. Dead the next.

As other members have stressed beardies are solitary and territorial creatures and so should always be housed alone.
It is one of the most frustrating thing as a dragon lover that ignorant pet stores insist that this is acceptable. It sends people off with utterly false information which can end horrifically for the dragons, or end the owner up with a whacking great extra spend on a whole new set of equipment.
Unfortunatly you only need a liscence to sell reptiles. You do not need any special training or education to run a reptile store.
SOME reptiles can happily co-habit, however most store lack the in depth knowledge to understand that this is not the case for bearded dragons.

Beardies can and do attack eachother, and unfortunatly dragons are not like dogs, who can be taught about naughty aggressive behaviour. They can live in apparent harmony for months and then one day snap and thats it.
Dragons will think nothing of nipping off a chunk or tail/toe in order to defend their basking spot, unfortunatly it is just in their nature.
As soon as that baby annoys your adult he is going to be seriously injured.

I want you to show you what does happen:
In my time keeping dragons I have rescued three dragons who were living in a viv with other dragons.

This is Dexter. Rescued as an adult.
Dex was small for her age and was missing a bit of her tail, most of her right arm, most of her right foot and alot of her toes.
bearded.jpg

This is Ruben. Rescued at two months old.
Ruben had his leg and arms ripped off at the joints by his clutchmates.
imsleeping.jpg

This is Miso. Rescued at only 3 weeks old
Little Miso, already has a tail nip and is missing most of her back toes.
miso3.jpg

And these were housed with dragons of similar age.

Asside from the violence your baby must be under the most incredible amount of stress being housed with an adult.
Stress will hinder her development and lead to a very sickly dragon, who may not grow at all.

I cannot stress this enough. Dragons are not to be housed together at the best of times, but a baby and adult is, in my mind, cruelty.
Please take him out of there now and keep him in a seperate tub with a heat lamp untill you can set up a proper enclosure for him.

Holly

rockstar1992

Original Poster
every1 says this! i am working on a new enclosure but am refuing to seperate them until i get another thermo)stat as i do not want to over my lizard. secondly i know that they may look alot different, despite the size gap there is only 3 months between them. little bit (the smaller) being nearly 5 months old and fester ( the older ) being 7 months old. thanks for your help and i really am working on trying to seperate them

rockstar1992

Original Poster
btw tere are some reeli nice tanks up there and yh i know about the viv thread. thats where i got the idea. theres 2 many pages on that 1 lol cant be botherd to look through them all:p

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello,

Has your 5 month old beardie been in that enclosure with the 7 month old since he was a baby(or even for a few months)?

If this is the case and they have been housed together for quite a while, then this would explain why the 5 mo old is so small. The older one one is clearly dominating the younger one, which would cause the younger one to not thrive properly. I'm sure you don't intentionally mean any harm to your beardies, but the longer they are allowed to cohabitate the more you will see the 5 mo old decline in health. Please listen to us...no one here is trying to come down on you or make you feel bad. We are only advising separation due to our love and interest in the well being of these animals. I certainly understand there is an issue of added expense, when you have to buy a whole new set up, but please for the sake of your beardies...separate them as soon as you are able to get a new set up. The set up you do have is very nice by the way!

Believe me...we have all made mistakes with our beardies. The majority of us sought out this website due to problems with dragons. We are just asking you to heed our advise, before it's too late.

Good Luck,

Dawn :D

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I think everyone has said it perfectly! Please even if you have to stick him in a rubermade container with a lamp on him for now. We just dont want him to get hurt is all.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
My latest clutch to hatch are a bunch of nippers. At 2 weeks old I had to seperate most of them because of toes and tail nips. It can happen at any age.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
hey everyone lots of good tips and info.

RockStar1992, please dont take these tips the wrong way. i know it feels like everyones against you but thats not it. its just when someone new comes on, everyone wants to help at the same time. sometimes it can be overwhelming.

i remember when i first came on here with LG, i was getting alot of messages that kinda bugged me at first: "you should remove that light you just bought" or, "thats the wrong substrate, itll kill him!".

but after reading through the forums myself, i started to realize that my husbandry was not proper for a bearded dragon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

on that note; you mentioned that you dont want to seperate them because you dont have a thermometer for the other tank? well if thats the case just use the ther in the already established tank. you know the temps are ok because youve already measured them.

if i misread then please let me know(im kind of a scanner :roll: ).

you also mentioned that you dont think the big one who hurt the little one because theyre not that different in size? my LG was literally ripped limb from limb by dragons no bigger than himself. they were his brothers and sisters and had been with him every moment of his little life. one day for whatever reason(maybe they were hungry), they started tearing him apart.

all im saying is, take a look at the link Ethelia posted. it broke my heart to see that thread, i would hate to see another one.

on a sunnier note; yes, the enclosres thread is awesome. it may seem too long to go through but if you think about it, itll only take 10 or 20 minutes. then youll know what all of our enclosures look like(almost everyone on this site has posted in that thread). i think i have 4 or 5 vivs in there...

anyhow, just keep reading around in the past threads of different forums. they go back years and years. youll find alot of great info thatll really help you out :wink: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom