Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell04

Hi everyone. Please help. Im new to this forum and have not quite figured out things. My step son came to live with me and he brought Russell the beardie. Im not sure where to find all the correct information but this forum seems to have the correct info from the basics i know working with vets. However near us there currently is not an exoctic vet that i have found. He was not shown how to properly care for Russell and i am too much of an animal lover to let it go. I have fixed his habitat and need to replace his lights, as my last need to get knowing they must be in 80 ro 90 degrees at all times. He came looking ruff. He is grey but not shedding?? I have soaked him for 15 minutes every other day. Cleaned out his habitat and his dishes showing my step son how to do so properly. Am i not being patient enough?? Some color is coming back but i have attached a photo for reference for help. I hope i posted in the right spot. Also the humidity??? Thank you!!! Mimi
103665-4915907145.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pic of his tank and his lighting. He looks good as AHBD said -- so w/ the shedding he is still growing
Karrie

Russell04

Original Poster
Hey karrie. Ok i will do that of his habitat. He looks great. Just havnt seen an uneven shed before. His habitat is a little rough being i think his mom kust got him the beardie and left it at that with half broken equipment. Hes a good eater now he likes his fruits and veggs he gets pellets with some dead crickers but he doesn't eat it so i introduced the fruits and veggies with his pellets until i can find a place to get him crickets and yummy things for enrichment. Again i have to replace everything except his flooring that is ok. His heat lamp is broken but works barely... and the uv light does not work, so that room is kept at 80 and monitored till I can find the right lamp....open for suggestions...i definatelt need to find things online or a store which unfortunately will be more than 45 miles but is worth it If can find one. I live in very rural central pennsyvalania. Ive looked online but again when it comes to the pellets i know nothing to order them but i do no natural diets....and the uv lamp I dont know which to get and i need the bulb as well as the shade... I have ptsd and have attached to Russell so it is important to both myself and my step son that Russell has a healthy and proper environment. He feels bad but i explained it is not his fault entirely that his mom should have helped him with learning and being educated for russells care and i mean basic.... His cage had never been wiped out and rugs never cleaned just poop scraped.....so i decided to make this a learning experince as well as a responsability lesson....i also need to learn about the proper humidity and do i need to find a regular vet not just for emergencies?? Thank you sooooo much

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Dragons don't eat pellets-- he should be fed greens mustard collard turnip greens squash any kind green beans fruit apples strawberries blueberries No Citrus-- everyday-- you can order dubia roaches on line amazon.com-- suppliers offer free shipping-- you need the UVB ASAP-- you need a Reptison 10.0 T 5 or T 8--- T 5 is a stronger bulb and needs to be changed out once a year the T 8 every six months--- this is crucial you can order on line www.lightyourreptiles.com --- also Arcadia 10.0 T 5 another high output bulb need fixture too-- I recommend the dubias better for him and don't give parasites or worms-- easier to keep than crickets-- the dubias don't stink or chirp like crickets-- the UVB will need to go inside your tank -- around 10-11 inches from basking spot-on temps should be 90-105 and taken w/ a infrared heat gun from Walmart Lowe's home Depot around $10-- the dubias can be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium and fed squash apples carrots -- please ask questions
Karrie

Russell04

Original Poster
It is beardie pellet and i have seen other owners on here have thwm too they even sell thwm with some kits online he also has a supplement. Yes he likes his green peppers and apples as well as grapes and kale. He came with the pellets that jas the worms and crickets dead in it. Yuck i wouldnt eat it either if i were Russell.... I do not have a home depot within 98 miles. So i need mostly online and that was very very helpful thank u i will get on the sites now.

Russell04

Original Poster
Im sorry if i may have misses it but how do i manage his humidity?? I have electric heat and i was afraid that was what has been drying him out which i went with the dry skin scenario. How often should we bathe him?? He also has a hammock but im afraid he will break a toe so i removed it his flooring is drying so thats why it is not in the habitat at the second....also does he need a regular vet other than for emergencies? I worked for a equine vet and we do not have an exotic vet. So i am working on a few things for him....im afraid of not haveing the lamps so im hoping the snow will stay away so i can get packages. Do i feed thw dubias the same as the crickets as many as he can eat in 15 minutes or so??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How old is he? Is he an adult --- he looks like it--- if he is a year or older his diet should be 80 percent greens 20 percent bugs-- buy a hydrometer put it in the middle of your back wall in tank-- don't worry about it for now-- get that and go from there-- I don't give mine a bath unless I am trying to get him to poop or he is stinky from getting himself messy-- I wash his greens before serving so he us getting hydration from them also gut loaded dubias as well-- the shedding when hiccup gets really dry I then bathe him take a soft tooth brush in the bath and helps w/ the shed-- it helps w/ the itch-- reptile vet is best
-- Google reptile vet for your area see what you can find-- we also have a vet moderator on the forum -- her name is Tracie Drache613 or ABHD - can also help w/ medical questions
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom