please help!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deelitemee

I had noticed for the past couple of days my beardie was not acting himself. I thought it was that time for shedding. Took him out of his tank for its cleaning, and I had noticed blood all over the area where he would urinate and or deficate from. and while cleaning his tank i noticed blood clumps (that would or should be is urine/fecal). he also seems very lethargic and not interested and his color is very pale. I am freaking out. We have never had any issues with him. He is an 8 year old german. I am freaking out. what do I do? he does not want to eat and i force fed and emergency supplement that i got from the pet store but he has vomited that up. please please help, i am afraid i am loosing him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So he is pooping or peeing blood? NO, that is not good. Do you know if he is having a hard time going to the bathroom, like straining?
Are you using a UVB light? If so, what type & brand, is it a flourescent tube light or a compact or coil light?
Do you give calcium several times per week?
What do his eyes look like, are they sunken in or raised up? Is his beard blackened?
What type of substrate are you using?

Tracie

deelitemee

Original Poster
I can not tell if he is having a hard time. I just find it either on him or in the tank. I am using a uvb, ecoterra reptiglo tube 10.0 15w desert bulb. Its the kind that we have been purchasing for 8 years, weather from the pet store or reptile show. he also has a heating element. we have always given calcium once a week. his beard is black. and we use play sand that we purchase in a bag from home depot and it gets changed out frequently. nothing has changed regarding the way we do things for him for the past 8yrs. we have never had any issues. to tell you the truth he has been a rock. yes is eyes to seem sunken in. the only thing different is that i purhased superworms and large crikets for him from pet co, which i do not normally do, and i do not routinely get him crickets.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, so how long have you used the Reptiglo 10 for him? That particular light has only been around for maybe 1 1/2 years at the most. You probably used the Reptiglo 8 previously, is this correct?
The Reptiglo 10 is not a good light, unfortunately. The usable UVB emissions are poor. This light emits low wavelength frequency of UVB which is within the range of UVC. The light does not have favorable wavelength for D3 synthesis as well which means he is unable to process calcium, properly. I highly recommend getting a different UVB light. I would get the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb, for starters.
He needs calcium, even at his age, at least 2-3 times per week.
My thought are initially, is that he is hypocalcemic & strained to go to the bathroom, & it caused some bleeding. Did he prolapse?
He also could have an elevated worm or parasite level as well, which could cause bleeding, too.
Have his stools always looked ok, have they ever had any sand in them? What have you been feeding him then, if you have never fed crickets or worms? How many did you feed him? Could he have been slightly impacted with sand? Sand can build up in their GI tract over years, even in adults. While it doesn't impact & harden like the calcium based sands do, it can still build up on the intestinal lining causing the microvilli to become damaged & the GI tract to become irritated & cause ulcers or sores that could bleed which are raw. Perhaps he has colitis or peritonitis. So those are things you can discuss with the vet, also.
While the Reptiglo 8 is an ok light, it does not put out large amounts of UVB. So, combined with using that weak light for years, & not giving much calcium for him, his body has begun to show weakness. Reptiles do not always show weakness immediately. He has good genes, being a german giant so that is probably one reason he has not shown any problems until now.
What I recommend is getting him to the vet to get a bloodtest. Get them to do an ionized calcium test which will further determine his 25 hydroxy levels that show bone density & absorption. Also, getting x-rays would be a good idea also, to see what the bone density looks like. Also, the blood tests will reveal whether or not he is having liver or renal issues as well.
For tonight, try to keep him calm, if you can. Will he take any oral fluids from you via a plastic dropper?

Tracie

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I just wanted to say, that those are the exact same things that were happening with the 8 year old we adopted, that passed at Christmas, last year. We changed all the issues, but were too late, and Tanker passed away in my older son's arms.
I am praying for you and your dragon, hopefully you will be able to save yours, where ignorance didn't mine.
Hugs and Prayers !
Janie.

deelitemee

Original Poster
i am so sorry for that. it sucks. alot of time and energy and money goes into taking care of these magnificent creatures. did Tanker get diagnosed? this is driving me crazy. "Drakor" has been a rock, completely solid never any problems. He has been a pistol. He lives in a 90 gallon castle. My vet said he was the best bearded he had seen in a long time. And that everything i was doing was correct. thank you for the kind words.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please let me know how things go when you do get him to the vet tomorrow. I hope that Drakor will be ok.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom