Please help! Too hot? Too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caren

We have 2 beardies in two different tanks - both 40 gallon tanks. I want to make sure the lighting is ok.

Thomas (age 14 months) - his basking area is 109 degrees. I got a digital probe - I put the probe right on the rock where he basks. There are two light bulbs - one Zilla basking light (150 watt) and one is just a regular light bulb (100 watts). He has a uv light on the other side if the tank. Both the light bulbs are screwed into those metal dome thingies (don't know the name???)

Haley (age 6 weeks) has the exact same setup but her rock is a little lower and the temp is reading 103).

Both spend most of their days on their basking rocks. Sometimes Thomas goes under his rock. Both eat pretty normally and are alert.

Is my setup ok? I want the best for my beardies!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, a 150 watt basking light seems like an awful lot for only a 40 gallon tank. Are you using a 150 watt AND 100 watt in each tank? You mentioned that you're using a digital probe thermometer, do you make sure that the probe is actually touching the rock and then wait 45 min to an hr before getting the final readings?

It sounds like you're using either a compact or coil UVB, is that true? If so, those are not good ones and you should turn it off and purchase either a Repti-Sun 10.0 strip fluorescent or the Arcadia brand UVB.

Are you keeping them well hydrated? What feeders and greens are you feeding?

Caren

Original Poster
Yes, I am using both bulbs in each tank - so the 150 watt Zillo basking bulb, a regular 100 watt light bulb, and the long skinny (not a coil) UV bulb on the other side where his high stick is.

Yes, the probe is touching their basking rocks and I waited over an hour to read the temps.

I do bathe them - not every day though, but often. Neither of them really drink water at all. I spray them daily. Sometimes when the baby bathes she will drink a little from the tub but not much. The older one has literally never had anything to drink - I try, he doesn't drink! So I was hoping the baths and spraying suffices?

Both eat crickets - the little one is eating some greens but not much (devours the crickets). Older one has a varied diet - half crickets, half greens, fruits, squash, other veggies, etc.

So are you thinking it is too hot for them? There is so much information out there about heating and honestly I am really confused!

Thanks for your help!!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So you're using 250 watts in each tank? That is an awful lot. One of my tanks is a 40 gallon breeder and I only need a 50 watt basking bulb and a 40 watt standard household for the cool side to get temps of 103 and 81. Is your house really cold? Does your thermometer have a long wire with the probe on the end?

Good that you have a strip fluorescent bulb, could you look at the side of the bulb and tell us what brand it is? What distance do you have the UVB's? The UVB should actually be right alongside the basking bulb so that your beardies can get the benefit of both bulbs at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trishreyhui
Top Bottom