Please help, symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so upset and terrified, I'm probably over reacting by I take my beardie's health very seriously..Over the past month or two I've noticed that Steve's bones feel..odd. They aren't soft or bendy, they don't feel brittle, he has no trouble moving at all-- he jumps around quite frequently and is still a great runner. His back legs and front legs are both very moveable, they don't feel stiff in the slightest. But when I hold him, and I move his limbs, they feel like they creak almost? I don't know how to explain it-- they don't make noise, but they feel like they're grinding/creaking almost. I'll try to provide as much info about him as possible:

All help is appreciated, I'm losing a lot of sleep over this little guy...

We've had Steve for about 9 months now, we got him when he was 1 month old from our local pet store. (I know, breeders are better, but these came directly from a breeder in my town that I know and the pet store takes care of them very well, its not a chain.) I saw both parents and they appear to be both healthy.

His tail was nipped as a hatchling, so he's missing a few inches off of that, but including the missing tail he's approx. 15 inches. (And no his tail has no infection, the breeder's vet checked for that when he was nipped.)

Setup:
He lives in a 40 gal breeder tank, with a heat fixture and UVB fixture and 2 basking spots. We use a tube UVB, an exo-terra 10.0 that stretches across his entire tank. He can get quite close, at least within 6 inches of the light on his basking log.

Diet:
His regular live food consists of gut loaded, calcium dusted crickets, which he gets about 4-5 times a week, we feed him as much as he'll eat in about 5, 10 minutes ish. Sometimes he'll get wax worms as a treat, he gets silkworms and kingworms too. His salads vary quite a lot, but in general we stick to organic collard greens, kale, arugala, raddish greens, squash, rasberries as a very occasional treat..what else..alfalfa greens/sprouts, bok choy greens, cabbage, celery leaves, cilantro, leek, there's probably more but thats what I can think of right now. Fresh greens are provided every day.

Misc?:
He gets baths about 3 times a week, we let him drink here since I was told to never keep a water bowl in a tank because of the rising humidity.
He's very active, clear eyes, no nostril/eye discharge, he has no lumps, bumps, broken bones, he poops regularily (not runny) after every meal, he has no wounds... think that covers most of it?

Here's a couple recent pictures of him in the bath. (As in taken yesterday.)
Flash on:
scaled.php

no flash:
scaled.php

scaled.php

Gail

BD.org Addict
Now I have to move Jupiter's limbs when he wakes so I can see if this is something that might be normal. Your guys looks good and your care is good too. I would feed him insects every day though, he is still growing and needs protein.

Torridnexus

Original Poster
Ok, I'll definitely start doing that, I was told to slow down a couple days with bugs so that he eats more greens, but I can see he could probably use some more weight. The local pet shop just started carrying hornworms, phoenix worms and silk worms so he can have more variety from now on :)

Gail

BD.org Addict
Once he is full grown you can cut the insects down but he isn't a adult yet. Its great that your local store carries such a nice variety, wish mine did.

Torridnexus

Original Poster
Thanks for clearing that up then! I should really visit this place more often. Steve is my first beardie so I'm still learning, though I try to research as much as I can. I'm used to ferrets and fish tanks :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom