Please help my bearded dragon spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraydensMomma

Original Poster
Jess4921":3ro9i0xh said:
Try feeding him some squash babyfood. When I had my beardie with eye problems, he needed ot be hand-fed until he could see out of both eyes again. He is probably just having issues seeing his food right now, and I imagine that he is pretty stressed out about his eye too. Most beardies LOVE babyfood, and you can get commercial beardie pellets to blend in it so they get their protien too. Either that, or a little chicken or turkey baby food will also work.

Well he's drinking water just fine. Been giving him baths here lately too to try and help him shed. All though haven't had luck with that yet :( But I know once I get the uvb light he'll shed plus the basking light. But alright. I'll get him some squash and chicken and turkey baby food. Any other baby food you think I should try??

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
ocrage":1o7ytul6 said:
1) doesn't matter if he's "half the size of the tank head to toe" , thats WAY to little room, what do you expect him to not move at all? bearded dragons need a 40 gallon at least after like 10/12 inches, hell my guy is only 8.5 inches and i would feel bad having him in a 20/30 gallon.

2) like i said, you need to get a new bulb, reptisun 10.0, its the most recommended/best bulb right now, it needs to give off good UVB so your dragon can be healthy(which he obviously is not)

3) whats wrong with sand? it can cause impaction, especially the calcium sand because they can't digest it. they can also grow to like the taste and just eat the sand as it is.

4) your basking problem only you can solve, i dont have your tank and what materials you have available to fix it for you. why don't you stop and think for a second and see what you can use to raise his basking area? go get a digi thermometer that has a probe on the end and take the temps.

5) you only need to add warmth if your room gets below 65 degrees at night, so if its does, yes get an OUT of tank pad and stick it on the side of the tank, not under and just at night.

6) feed him at least once a day, common greens are Collard Greens and Mustard Greens, can give them squash, blueberries etc. here's a list of the good and bad stuff for beardies, i have this favorited, i suggest you do the same. http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
also give him some worms like hornworms/silkworms/butter/waxworms from time to time.

there's also this helpful link up top that says CARESHEET, i dont know if you thought about click that, it shows you how to CARE for a dragon. heres another link too in case you cant find it...http://beardeddragoncaresheet.weebly.com/index.html

really hope that helps
Great advice!

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
BraydensMomma":3drqy5h5 said:
I'll get him some squash and chicken and turkey baby food. Any other baby food you think I should try??
Make sure it doesn't have onion in it, check the ingredients closely as some do and some don't contain the onion powder. One of mine likes the sweet potato blends.

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
BraydensMomma":1vsy0dee said:
So sorry to all the people I didn't reply back too. Thank y'all for all of y'alls help though!! I would have been lost without all of all!
Thank you for caring so much about your little one and taking the advice as it is intended, to help. That is all anyone care's about is the welfare of your Dragon. Wishing you the best of luck with him and never be worried about asking questions :)

Jess

Extreme Poster
Green beans is the only other beardie-safe veggie baby food I can think of that hasn't been mentioned already. You can get a little bit of a fruit baby food too to mix in.

Oh, yeah make sure there are no weird ingredients in it. You pretty much just want it to be squash (or whatever the main ingredient is) and water for processing.

apaprikao

Hatchling Member
To BraydensMomma:

I agree with the advice that ocrage gave you, I just wish they had said it a smidge nicer. I think the fact that you are here and trying to find out more information is a sign that you are a good owner who cares about her dragon. I hope that Spike starts to feel better soon and that you are able to upgrade his enclosure and diet accordingly.

Good luck and keep us updated.

BraydensMomma

Original Poster
valcash":36li8fpg said:
BraydensMomma":36li8fpg said:
So sorry to all the people I didn't reply back too. Thank y'all for all of y'alls help though!! I would have been lost without all of all!
Thank you for caring so much about your little one and taking the advice as it is intended, to help. That is all anyone care's about is the welfare of your Dragon. Wishing you the best of luck with him and never be worried about asking questions :)

Thank you. I should have everything except the upgraded tank next weekend. Going to Walmart next weekend on payday and will get everything that I need for him. Well I'll need to order the bulb which will take probably two weeks to come in but everything else I will be getting next Saturday :) Trust me. Once I get done setting up everything. I will probably have more questions. Lol.

BraydensMomma

Original Poster
apaprikao":2fr1k51h said:
To BraydensMomma:

I agree with the advice that ocrage gave you, I just wish they had said it a smidge nicer. I think the fact that you are here and trying to find out more information is a sign that you are a good owner who cares about her dragon. I hope that Spike starts to feel better soon and that you are able to upgrade his enclosure and diet accordingly.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Yeah you and me both. Lol. But its okay. I'm used to having people be rude to me. So I just brush it off and keep on going. Thank you that you say that. It really means a lot. I love my dragon to death. I've always been an animal lover weather its dogs or cats or birds or reptiles. I just will always love them :) Spike seems like he is doing better though. I'm going to call this vet over here by my apartment and see how much an office visit will be to bring him in and get him checked out. Just so I know if he has a clean bill of health. But I'm not going to do that until I get all of his stuff and give him time to heal before I take him.

littlesavedgirl

Hatchling Member
First, I'm glad you cared about your pet and have taken action to help care for it properly, really, that's the first step that many people don't ever do. I am a long time foster home for exotic birds and only recently became a dragon home so I'm new to this particular rep but not to the complexity of caring for exotic animals. It's very difficult to satisfy the unique needs of these exotics and although we mean the best when we endeavor to be their new home, sometimes even the best of intentions can end very badly.
The shopping list that was left for you was very thorough and hopefuly afordable for you. If you are in a warm climate your lizard can also benefit from the natural uvb rays of the sun. You would have to make sure your lizard comes in direct contact with the suns rays and not through the glass of it's enclosure or your household windows, the uvb rays are prevented from penetrating them. The UVB bulb is a absolutely necessary for healthy bone growth so don't wait on this one more day if you haven't already purchased it.
Now for the topic of sand, I am so grateful for this site and the other sites that offer such pivotal information concerning dangers that the pet stores don't seem to take seriously. I was able to avoid what could have been a lethal mistake, a colorfully lethal mistake. It escapes me why our pet stores and even some supposed "Experts" still endorse the use of it :angry5: . Just follow the advice given to you here and hopefully your dragon will prosper and continue to live out it's life in good health.

Best wishes

littlesavedgirl

Hatchling Member
I think the condition of your dragon has gotten far beyond your expertise. It is imperative that it be seen by a licensed vet, for the well being and comfort of the dragon. It must be in pain, Im sure any vet would work with you financially .

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Poor Spike. I am sorry, I dont know anything to recommend other than a vet visit. but wanted to bump this up so that someone may see it and know how to help.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I'm sorry, I hope he's OK! :(

Could you call a humane society/rescue to see if they know of any low-cost vets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom