Please help my bearded dragon spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
BraydensMomma":2u6yvhh9 said:
Slave2Scarlett":2u6yvhh9 said:
BraydensMomma":2u6yvhh9 said:
Haha. That's hilarious!!!! Their suppose to know where everything is at!! Lol. So if its not by the pet department, look where the outdoor thermometers are by the lighting, and if its not there where should I look??? Btw... I LOVE your beardie :) Its so cute. I love the yellow :) Also I see you live in Mississippi. May I ask where at?? My whole family lives out there.

Yeah try the hardware section like where the paint and lightbulbs and all that are.. Actually what u should ask them is where are the outdoor thermometers and thats where they are.. Thanks! She's a mess and so spoiled lol.. I live in Madison..

Okay. I should be getting it Saturday and if I do I'll let you know how the search went. Lol. Oh okay. I have no clue where that's at. My family is in Kiln, Gulfport, Bay St. Louis, Waveland, Diamandhead and those areas.
Cool let me know lol.. Madison is about 15 miles north of Jackson

BraydensMomma

Original Poster
So sorry to all the people I didn't reply back too. I just now went on page three to look back at something and saw so many comments that I missed!!! I'm new to this so I didn't think to look back on comments. Just thought I had one at a time. Thank y'all for all of y'alls help though!! I would have been lost without all of all!! I will be getting the stuff from walmart. I don't really care if I have to search around for the stuff. I'm a single mother so every dollar counts. Lol. As far as pictures... I want to put pictures up but haven't been able to figure out how. Just found out about my default pic. I would love to be able to put spike as my signature though. So if you can tell me how I would love to put a pic of him up :)

BraydensMomma

Original Poster
Jess4921":2ilhstey said:
Glad I wasn't the only one who was shocked by the rude comment! Critisizing and judging doesn't help anyone...

And I just wanted to say that it's awesome that you actually kept and cared for your beardie once you had your kid, cause not everyone does. I adopted my Dudley because his owner got pregnant, and dropped off all her beardies at the reptile shop right away. :| So kudos to you for being a good mom to your 2 year old and your lizard!

And yup, the thermometers are in the outdoors/hardware section, since they aren't actually meant for pet use LOL. Sorry if I confused you about the stick-on ones. :)

Thank you very much Jess :) So many people told me to get rid of him when I was pregnant cause they thought I could transfer diseases from Spike to my unborn son but I wanted to take that risk. I loved my son but I also loved Spike. I had only had him for about a year when I got pregnant but he was part of my family at that point and there was no way I was giving him up. My mother helped out though and my father. When they didn't want me touching him when I was pregnant they would feed him for me and play with him for me. So that was a big help. As far as that one rude comment. Its okay. I'm used to getting rude comments. I'm so glad y'all agree with me though. Yeah she shouldn't of done that, but like y'all said. The past is the past. I'm doing research on him now which is all that counts :)

BraydensMomma

Original Poster
Slave2Scarlett":1vkyokr2 said:
You can also use the industrial strength velcro strips that you can get from Lowes to mount the uv light on the back of the tank.. One other thing is.. I would recommend going with the 24" reptisun b/c you can't find a fixture for an 18" that you will be able to mount inside the tank.. It requires a T8 fixture and the only one I could find in town (besides the hood @ petsmart which is an 18") was the 24" @ walmart.. I actually mounted a 24" in a 20gallon tank so it will fit just fine in a 30gallon.. Just a few little tips.. Good luck! Sounds like you are doing a great job u just needed a little direction :wink:

What would be better... The velcro or the command hooks??

BraydensMomma

Original Poster
warnisha":1zmtze7x said:
Also, just wanted to add that I got one of the therm with the probes (yellow box and white probe) and it isn't accurate at all, my accurite from walmart is great always right on, I have that one and two stand up digitals that are always exactly the same. I tested them by putting them next to my thermostat in the house and they all matched. So, that is how I check ours. anyway, just wanted to add that!

Again don't stress it will be fine you are working on making the tank right now and that is what matters. Not the past. :lol:

and yes pictures would be fantastic!!!!!!

I am changing out the sand. Once I can get to walmart I'm doing the shelf liner or whatever its called. I don't want my spike eating his sand. What would be best though. The uvb light from walmart or the reptisun one. And I now know that I need the basking light and the uvb bulb but what kind of heating light do you suggest I need.

warnisha

Juvie Member
The light from walmart is basically for the hardware you put the rwptisun in that lift fixture...it's the cheapest way to get the fixture

Jess

Extreme Poster
Here, let me straighten a few things out for ya. :)

The light that comes in the fixture from Walmart is not a UVB light. You still need to order the ReptiSun, but you only need to use the fixture from Walmart, not the light that comes with it. Does that make sense?

And for your basking/heating light, you don't need any thing special. Any regular house light will work just fine (Halogen lights and flood lights give off the most heat, though!). The only "special" reptile light you need is the UVB one.

For the substrate, you can just use paper towels for now so you can get him off the sand. :)

Hmm, I've never used the velcro. The hooks have always worked really well for me though, and they are probably cheaper than the velcro is?

Jess

Extreme Poster
Oh never mind then, the velcro tape I have was more expensive than that I think, but it was a different kind.

BraydensMomma

Original Poster
Jess4921":1lgzuz9d said:
Here, let me straighten a few things out for ya. :)

The light that comes in the fixture from Walmart is not a UVB light. You still need to order the ReptiSun, but you only need to use the fixture from Walmart, not the light that comes with it. Does that make sense?

And for your basking/heating light, you don't need any thing special. Any regular house light will work just fine (Halogen lights and flood lights give off the most heat, though!). The only "special" reptile light you need is the UVB one.

For the substrate, you can just use paper towels for now so you can get him off the sand. :)

Hmm, I've never used the velcro. The hooks have always worked really well for me though, and they are probably cheaper than the velcro is?

See Jess this is why I love ya ( no homo or anything lol). You make everything so simple for me :) Lol. But okay. Light fixture from hardware department. Do not use the light in it. Order the uvb light and use that. As far as the basking light. I will go to PetsMart for that and just grab a basking light bulb. I'm going to leave him on the sand for just a little bit long though cause I don't want to completely change everything at once and put him into shock or anything. As far as the velcro and command hooks. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the velcro cause it just sounds easier to put on. Lol.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Ok, sounds like you've got it figured out now! Haha, I'm glad I'm loved. :D

And just make sure he is not eating the sand, and try to feed him in a seperate bin or something until you get the sand replaced. That way, he won't accidentally get a mouthful of it when he is going for his bugs.

BraydensMomma

Original Poster
Jess4921":v362c03c said:
Ok, sounds like you've got it figured out now! Haha, I'm glad I'm loved. :D

And just make sure he is not eating the sand, and try to feed him in a seperate bin or something until you get the sand replaced. That way, he won't accidentally get a mouthful of it when he is going for his bugs.

Well your loved by me :)

And right now he's not eating cause his eye still isn't completely healed. It has made a BIG change though. He's been trying to open it here lately but hasn't gotten any luck with it but it looks like here soon it will be fully healed :) But he's refusing to eat cause he can't catch the crickets. He can only see out of one eye and it makes it very difficult :(

Jess

Extreme Poster
Try feeding him some squash babyfood. When I had my beardie with eye problems, he needed ot be hand-fed until he could see out of both eyes again. He is probably just having issues seeing his food right now, and I imagine that he is pretty stressed out about his eye too. Most beardies LOVE babyfood, and you can get commercial beardie pellets to blend in it so they get their protien too. Either that, or a little chicken or turkey baby food will also work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom