Please help my bearded dragon spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
The last time I bought the Accurite digital thermometer with probe, I got it at Lowes for about $16. Walmart has is for just under $12 and the last time I found them at our local Walmart (they moved stores since then and I haven't checked the new store yet) they were in with the ceiling fans. I would ask someone that works there sometimes they are helpful.

Mrkngpen

Juvie Member
Yeah, the acurite temp gauges are in the hardware section (NOT the pet section) in with outdoor thermometers and that kind of thing.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Glad I wasn't the only one who was shocked by the rude comment! Critisizing and judging doesn't help anyone...

And I just wanted to say that it's awesome that you actually kept and cared for your beardie once you had your kid, cause not everyone does. I adopted my Dudley because his owner got pregnant, and dropped off all her beardies at the reptile shop right away. :| So kudos to you for being a good mom to your 2 year old and your lizard!

And yup, the thermometers are in the outdoors/hardware section, since they aren't actually meant for pet use LOL. Sorry if I confused you about the stick-on ones. :)

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
You can also use the industrial strength velcro strips that you can get from Lowes to mount the uv light on the back of the tank.. One other thing is.. I would recommend going with the 24" reptisun b/c you can't find a fixture for an 18" that you will be able to mount inside the tank.. It requires a T8 fixture and the only one I could find in town (besides the hood @ petsmart which is an 18") was the 24" @ walmart.. I actually mounted a 24" in a 20gallon tank so it will fit just fine in a 30gallon.. Just a few little tips.. Good luck! Sounds like you are doing a great job u just needed a little direction :wink:

staciek

BraydensMomma":2ylt55dg said:
Mrkngpen":2ylt55dg said:
No, you don't want a temperature gauge that sticks on. Any of those kinds aren't accurate. This is what she told you to get at Walmart:

Jess4921":2ylt55dg said:
So here is what you want at Walmart:

- 24" flourescent light fixture ($9)
- Command hooks ($3)
- Acurite digital thermometer ($12)
- Non-adhesive shelf liner, the solid kind with out holes. ($5)

The thermometer is the "Acurite digital thermometer" it has a wire with a probe at the end. You stick the probe at the basking spot and then read what the temperature is on the readout.

Oh okay. I thought that's what the acurite digital thermometer was. A stick on one. I was wrong. Sorry. In what department would that be in though??

We ended up having to buy our Acurite digital thermometer at Lowes because our local Walmart and Walmart online no longer carries one with a wired probe. I had looked at Walmart after reading about them here and on a breeders site and had a terrible time finding them. If you go to the Lowes website and search for "Acu-Rite Digital Thermometer with Humidity Gauge" you will find one for $8.56 (at least that is the price in our area). I found it, chose in store free pick-up and was able to run down there an hour and a half later and just pick it up at the customer service desk. Super easy! If you go to Lowes they are found in the outdoor area with the outdoor decorations, table & chair sets, etc. This thermometer in particular is great because you can set it on one side of the tank while running the probe to the basking spot right under your light and it will show you your basking temp and the temp on the cool side of the viv -- very important to have accurate temps for both.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
I just want to note that the temperature probes at the pet stores (Petsmart/Petco) aren't expensive at all. I got mine for I think $11. That might be better if it's on your way to Wal-mart instead of having to hunt around for it there or a hardware store, just a suggestion.
Post some pics of Spike when you get a chance!

warnisha

Juvie Member
I have my uvb light in the under cabinet fixture from walmart, the light was $30 and the fixture was $7, I bought professional strength velcro and stuck it just inside the tank so that he can vget within inches from it on his basking spot. I have him in a 50 gallon tank I got on freecycle.org and built a platform box with a ramp for him to get up to his basking spot. I got fake tile from the dollar store and have that on the bottom.

There are people who say sand is okay but I think there are more risks than are worth it. I don't like sand becuase of the impaction risk, problems with the eyes, it can start stinking...my beardie when he poops also has liquid that is there (apparently normal with well hydrated beardies) and even though you can scoop I can't imagine you get it all out and it would smell. When we got him he had been on sand and although he was clean and well taken care of he still smelled like the sand and there was a smell that I didn't like. So I don't want to be dealing with the sand even if it were safe for them. Just my opinion.

As far as the UVB light reptisun is truelly the best you will see the biggest difference under that light. You still need basking and heat lights though...depending on your set up can probably use different wattages of lightbulbs. It didn't work for our set up but others have been successful so it doesn't hurt to try. Walmart has a great thermometer with the probe that is like $12 and is perfect!

Even though it sounds like he had a bumpy start you are at least doing your research now and hopefully it will be fine. We all make mistakes when we get our pets, we are human! Heck I thought I had the right light for mine and it turned out I didn't! So he went a month without uvb apparently. Hang in there and as long as you do whats best now you will probably have lots of luck!

warnisha

Juvie Member
Also, just wanted to add that I got one of the therm with the probes (yellow box and white probe) and it isn't accurate at all, my accurite from walmart is great always right on, I have that one and two stand up digitals that are always exactly the same. I tested them by putting them next to my thermostat in the house and they all matched. So, that is how I check ours. anyway, just wanted to add that!

Again don't stress it will be fine you are working on making the tank right now and that is what matters. Not the past. :lol:

and yes pictures would be fantastic!!!!!!

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
BraydensMomma":r6rqnukd said:
coastergirl946":r6rqnukd said:
the pet department, with the other pet supplies..

Alright thanks. I thought it would be but you never know.
Its' not in the pet department its where the outdoor thermometers are.. In our walmart its back where the lighting is..

BraydensMomma

Original Poster
Yeah
Slave2Scarlett":3386n70t said:
BraydensMomma":3386n70t said:
coastergirl946":3386n70t said:
the pet department, with the other pet supplies..

Alright thanks. I thought it would be but you never know.
Its' not in the pet department its where the outdoor thermometers are.. In our walmart its back where the lighting is..

Yeah see. I didn't think it would be in the pet department. That would make it too easy. Lol. But I guess all walmarts are different. When I go if I can't find it that's what they pay the employees for :)

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
The funny thing is I had to show the walmart employees where they were! LoL They had no clue what I was talking about so I found them myself and then showed them..

BraydensMomma

Original Poster
Haha. That's hilarious!!!! Their suppose to know where everything is at!! Lol. So if its not by the pet department, look where the outdoor thermometers are by the lighting, and if its not there where should I look??? Btw... I LOVE your beardie :) Its so cute. I love the yellow :) Also I see you live in Mississippi. May I ask where at?? My whole family lives out there.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
BraydensMomma":2effj1u0 said:
Haha. That's hilarious!!!! Their suppose to know where everything is at!! Lol. So if its not by the pet department, look where the outdoor thermometers are by the lighting, and if its not there where should I look??? Btw... I LOVE your beardie :) Its so cute. I love the yellow :) Also I see you live in Mississippi. May I ask where at?? My whole family lives out there.

Yeah try the hardware section like where the paint and lightbulbs and all that are.. Actually what u should ask them is where are the outdoor thermometers and thats where they are.. Thanks! She's a mess and so spoiled lol.. I live in Madison..

BraydensMomma

Original Poster
Slave2Scarlett":1bmslrzk said:
BraydensMomma":1bmslrzk said:

Yeah try the hardware section like where the paint and lightbulbs and all that are.. Actually what u should ask them is where are the outdoor thermometers and thats where they are.. Thanks! She's a mess and so spoiled lol.. I live in Madison..

Okay. I should be getting it Saturday and if I do I'll let you know how the search went. Lol. Oh okay. I have no clue where that's at. My family is in Kiln, Gulfport, Bay St. Louis, Waveland, Diamandhead and those areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom