Please help my baby has maggots I think!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The arm is either a long retained shed which can be normal in very old beardies or a fungal issue. Have you ever seen some very old people, the skin tags, moles, age spots, etc that develop ? It can be similar with old animals, the skin/scales are not like when they were young. That dark area wouldn't be caused by the maggots [ if that's what you're wondering ] Yes, various things can cause infection but his initial wound on his leg looks good + reasonably clean. That would be where the infection would start and if it became septic he would be much sicker and die pretty fast. If you want you can dab that area 2-3X a day with the Betadine mixture to kill anything harmful.

Randijoy

Original Poster
You're awesome thank you SOOOO much. He's actually taking a bath with a little providone-iodine as we speak. Als, I could not wait to cut his nails. It's got to be a relief to him! Geez... What bad advice all those years ago. Thank you again

Randijoy

Original Poster
88446-341664819.jpg
He just popped in his water and it looked like he didn't get it all out. When I went to clean him, I think, this is actually his own skin. Definitely doesn't look normal or at least I've never seen this. I hope there's a healthy answer.
Thank you

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I honestly don't know but I'm thinking seminal plug. That's probably what you were seeing in his poop too. Then again I don't know what a prolapsed hemipene is either. Hopefully someone can tell you I only briefly Google trying to find an answer cause if it was it would need to be kept moist till you get to the vet.

Also be very careful to just cut the nail a little at a time. Just like cutting dogs nails, you don't want to cut too short or it will bleed.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Does his vent stay open or are you holding it open ? I don't think that's a hemipene and if it is it's not a prolapse, that would be red in color and would be protruding out of the vent.

Randijoy

Original Poster
Sorry it's been so long. Blazer has been doing amazing and looks as good as ever. I stopped covering with gauzeand only gave fresh water baths for hours pleasure and to hydrate. Even tho the wound closed, i wasnt thrilled with the hardness of the area and had thoughts it needed cleaning inside but didn't want to mess with it and figured he would just have a scar and scales may not grow back there.

The last photo.....The vent did stay closed but I held it open for the picture. It was so weird because the next time few times he pooped, it came off more and more until I just took it off. It was like years of caked shedding that didn't happen? Not sure but so glad it's gone.....

And now.......... amazed my daughter was today when she came over with how amazing his color is and how active and how he ate about 12 super worms..... something so scary had happened now.....

He didn't seem to have a full poop today and hasn't pooped in 2 or 3 days. I Gabe home a warm bath and messaged and finally solid pee came out and the face of a super worm and glob or two of green mucusy poop.

I quickly got him out of the water and some was hanging by a hair. I have long hair and he obviously ate it at some point but then I got worried maybe he had a hair ball blocking him? I saw a couple more in his vent and a hardened piece of poop or something. When I messaged to see if I could gentle get it out with a wet q tip, manipulating very gently, the skin around his closed wound cracked!!!!!!!

It was infected skin and smelled horrible. Now I really don't think there's anymore infection. It looks like healthy red flesh there but the wound is 2x the size as it was. Im going to go to cvs to get more neosporin and medicine for hours bath but I'm worried the wound is too large to put neosporin on it?

I had to leave him for a family thing. He was looking so good I was going to take him to the park for our get together until this emergency. I gauzed it up securely and am dropping off my son now and cvs.

As soon as I get home, I'm going to get a bath going and take a picture to upload. I know love and constant care got him through a few times in his life but this is scaring me but a heavy duty antibiotic shot at the vet scares me just as much. Before I put neosporin and wrap it up, I'll check for any replies.

I really want to see him through this, as good as he looks I really want to not do the vet thing. Money is an issue but even more so is the stress of him going. I'll post pictures within the hour.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It may be good to have a vet look at it if it's still infected. One more thing you can do though is put raw, unpasteurized honey on it. It's a natural antimicrobial and can promote tissue granulation.

Randijoy

Original Poster
I bought these pads. Should I see if I can scrape some honey of them or are they OK to just use or, neosporin. I will take him to the vet tomorrow if I can borrow some money but I really want to do something for him overnight and just incase u can't get him to the vet too. I willtake a pic of the pads. Then I'm getting his bath together and when I take the gauze of I'll take a picture. I'll part if within 15 minutes from now. Thank you!!! I just got home and feel horrible he's just in gauze and nothing to fight infection.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Are you doing a Betadine bath ? Either that or just dab the area with the watered down Betadine, let it dry + then apply the honey.

Randijoy

Original Poster
A bath with providone iodine solution. I'm so upset I just got home and he's had nothing but gauze on it, I did give him a bath before I left. I'll post a picture of his wound within a half hour.
Do you think I should try to scrape honey off pad (altho I think you need to see wound to answer. Maybe I could cut the pad to size and secure it with gauze?

Picture very soon. I hopeI can borrow some money to get him to the vet tomorrow. I'm really scared about taking this gauze off and what I'll see. I know his tissue is just so exposed.

Thanks so much
88446-6077064955.jpg
88446-919510918.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello

Poor guy! It sounds like he was doing really well too. Things happen unfortunately, it just wasn't cleared up & was still infected.
Were you able to get any honey on it yet?
The pads are fine to use. You can cut it down to size, then wrap gauge around his leg & simply tie it gently to secure it for now.
I hope the vet visit goes well, let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Randijoy

Original Poster
88446-20411937.jpg
88446-5486492673.jpg

I put him in some warm water. He woke up and drank a lot, now I'm going to add the iodine solution but first I'll check for replies.

I don't know what I would do without this wonderful site. Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angiemeyer8561
Top Bottom