please help me...im scared for my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

stangbanger

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i havent been bathing them as much as i used to....i know i need to start doing it more often....isnt having to soak them a sign that something is wrong with their husbandry?

as for his appetite, he goes crazy for feeders, but will only eat a bowl of greens a couple times per week...he used to eat them daily, but ever since i moved he hasnt been interested in them anymore (neither has my other beardie, and she used to eat them daily too).....sometimes they will both go several days without touching any greens....but they will go crazy over any live feeders

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Regular baths do not indicate poor husbandry. It is normal to bathe them between 2-4 times a week. I hope you both had a restful night.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Honestly, I do not know for sure. If I were to make an educated guess, I would say it is fine. Too much humidity causes respiratory infections. Hopefully, someone more experienced will be along to help.

stangbanger

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
OK heres how the full visit went

she looked at him and did some bloodwork and did an ultrasound

she said the ultrasound came back good that his liver didnt look abnormal or enflamed or anything

she said his mucus glands were yellow and that usually means something liver related so she wanted to do bloodwork

she said the yellowing on his skin might not be related to the liver since if it was, it wouldnt flake off like it does...she suspects that is some form of external fungus, and as of now isnt worried about it being "yellow fungus" just a type of fungus that happens to be yellow

she gave me a topical fungal treatment called "Chlorhexaderm Scrub 2% Gal" she says to soak him for 10-15 minutes in warm water, then put some of the scrub on the yellow areas and scrub it lightly with a soft brush.......anybody know anything about this stuff? I ask because i dont wanna start treating anything unless i know whats going on...i know sometimes they dont handle treatments well

overall i had a good experience with the vet....their office had reptile pics around, there was a turtle and a corn snake being seen while i was waiting, someone called about having them look at their raccoon and cougar....they even had me fill out a reptile husbandry sheet explaining my entire setup in details...asked about uvb and brand etc etc...i feel like i got a vet with a lot more knowledge than the other one

HOWEVER...i had a few concerns....she was very quick to wanna medicate everything....the initial estimate she said she wanted to do a fecal and put him on a dewormer, even before getting any results back (ive already had a fecal done and it was clean so i turned down the fecal and deworming because 1. i didnt have enough money on me, and 2. i dont want to treat him for worms if he doesnt have them...makes no sense)....on top of that, she also wanted to put him on antibiotics, without even seeing the bloodwork results or anything....i turned her down on those too until after the bloodwork is done....not sure why i would give him antibiotics and dewormers before we even know what the diagnosis is.....that being said, once i turned down those extras, she didnt push them or try to sell me on them etc, she just said whatever i want to do today we can and then later we can decide which steps to take next...very nice lady, just dont trust the "catch-all" method of medicating....maybe if it was a dog or something that can handle medicines a little easier

i didnt get to see the most experienced reptile vet on staff....i had to see the "second string" because he was booked up

now to just play the waiting game and see whats going on with the bloodwork... 1-2 days

when i get it back ill type some stuff in, or maybe see if i can have my mom scan it at work or something...i dont own a printer/scanner

the vet seemed hopeful, she says the liver is pretty hardy and can recover, the skin fungus appeared to be external only and she thinks the scrub will help with it...she said he was dehydrated slightly and that i need to soak him more often so im going to get back into a routine of soaking my dragons both at least twice a week.....checked into the soaking figuring that there may be a husbandry issue if they need soaked....my humidity is around 23%, so im trying to figure out if thats good or not....some people whose opinion i really trust about BDs on another site said the humidity is fine and that 20-30% is best, and up to 40ish is acceptable....i might try bumping it up to around 30-35 by closing off one of my vents and maybe adding a water dish if necessary...maybe thatll help....but i need to get back into the routine of soaking them, people are saying even with perfect husbandry they still need soaked regularly....so we will see....she didnt mention the open cut on his leg, i told her what happened and she said she agrees it is probably a crack from being dry and me picking at it...she wasnt worried about it and said the neosporin was fine

the vet said he put up a great fight and seems very healthy....so im going to keep praying and stay positive throughout this ordeal....im very upset at myself for not having it looked at sooner...i mean, i took it to the other vet to have it examined, and he told me everything was fine....but i should have known he was an bad vet when he literally had to go and google it while i was sitting there and start reading about different things....but he gave the OK, and i guess ive just been in denial because i love the little guy and dont want anything to happen to him and i didnt want to face a potentially fatal problem with him....if i lose him and its something that could have been prevented if i treated him sooner, i will never forgive myself...but im praying i caught it soon enough, since he is still happy and healthy and his liver isnt enlarged or anything ....all prayers are needed, i appreciate the support everyone...it was a rough day on my little guy (he was out of his cage for over 4 hours, since i had a dentist appointment too), and its been an emotionally draining day on me aswell....hopefully things get better, im very hopeful and trying to be positive

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Thanks for taking the time to give us a thorough report. It sounds like it went well. How lucky you are to live in a place where the "second stringer" is better than most folks have within a 2 hour drive. I'm sure you are both exhausted, but there is a lot of hope in what the doc had to say. Sending positive thoughts and prayers, Esther

cdajen

My female, basil, gets very similar yellowing, particularly on her belly and near her vent, before shedding. I was actually concerned about YF for a couple of weeks before her last shed. With the pattern of the "yellow" near his vent, it looks like it follows the scale lines completely, the borders aren't blurred. I think he just needs lots more soaks, some scrubs with a soft toothbrush, and time. Basil shed in a very strange pattern the last couple times, but her belly is entirely white and aside from some damaged scales where she rubbed her beard too hard on a rock, her skin looks great.

stangbanger

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
UPDATE***

heard back from the vet today....all his bloodwork came back fine!!

she says the main thing i need to focus on is keeping him hydrated better and treating the yellowing with the scrub she gave me.....this is such great news!! guess the spot where it had cracked was from being dried out and me messing with it...lesson learned for sure

going to mist them daily, and ive been lightly misting their enclosure in the morning ...it lets it hold a solid 30-35% humidity all day long, instead of 22-26%...hopefully this will help

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
I would highly recommend sending Tracie (Drache613) a copy of the blood panel results so she can take a look at them. She is qualified to evaluate blood work and she caught something on my dragon's results that the vet had missed, even though I love my vet and he is qualified too. I would honestly have the same concerns about this new vet as you do. Some of the whole ordeal just simply doesn't make sense, like you said - you simply don't treat for something for no reason. De-wormers and anti-biotics can both be very harsh on a dragon's system, and if he DOES have some kind of fungus then anti-biotics would be a terrible idea, especially if she didn't mention the absolute necessity of probiotics while taking these kinds of meds. Sorry if this sounds negative, if you feel comfortable with the new vet then by all means keep seeing her. I would just personally try the other reptile vet at that office if possible. Your dragon's condition doesn't seem all that detrimental in my opinion, but I'm no expert. You seem to be taking excellent care of him though. As far as I know, I always thought the less humidity the better for desert animals like bearded dragons, but I'm not sure what could be causing the frequenr shedding issues. Can anyone else comment on that?

Good luck with your little guy!

stangbanger

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
after doing some independent research and talking to someone else whose opinion i trust, i have upped my basking temps to about 130* (he has other basking temps available as well)....but he actually chooses the 130* spot over the others....saw some pics of a gravid female and a male who just had a large meal and they both chose to bask in areas that were 160*...i feel comfortable with 130 though since mine is a male

i know that subject can be controversial....but whatever i was doing obviously wasnt working for these dragons, and i followed all the care sheets to a T....so im going to start approaching husbandry that fits the needs of my individuals animals instead of relying on care sheets

he is doing so much better....more active, more healthy, better appetite, bowel movements are better.....im going to keep soaking him and keep using the chlorahexidrine scrub to treat the yellowing

as for the blood work, i dont have a copy of it...maybe i can call and have it faxed to me....but the liver problems werent a concern to begin with since he has no symptoms....she just said his mucus glands were yellow, but she also said that in bearded dragons this isnt uncommon...the bloodwork was just to check and make sure

i knew enough about how hard these meds are on a dragon before i went, thats why i didnt let her put him on anything.....i will go back to the office, but i will only see the better doctor....people around the state go see him for their herps (did some research on him after my visit), this other doc is just...eh..

overall my little guy is doing much better...i just need to work on keeping them hydrated and keep treating the yellowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom