PLEASE HELP I NEED ADVICE QUICKLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I have posted on here twice before about my own baby beardie who I love more than anything. She is doing really well and this post is not about her.
Two days ago a coworker of mine impulse bought a bearded dragon after listening to me talk about mine. She did little to no research before buying him and only told me about him yesterday at work. I had no idea she even wanted a bearded dragon.
She asked me for advice on how to properly care for this baby lizard and I gave it to her after I realized that she really hadn't done any research. This baby can not be more than 8 weeks old at the most. She told me that she has been holding him and cuddling him since she brought him home but that he isn't eating. I told her that sometimes they don't eat at first because of the stress of moving. I asked her what she had been trying to feed him and she said mealworms and crickets. I recommended that she cut the mealworms out of his diet for the time being and gut-load his crickets before offering them to him. I asked her about the tank that he was in, what his temperatures are and what lighting she had for him. She told me he was in an old fish tank, she had no idea what the temperatures were because she didn't have a thermometer and that she had simply purchased the heat/compact uvb duel dome lamp that most chain pet-stores sell. This is when I started to worry a bit. After our conversation I went in depth about the daily routine that I have for my baby girl. My coworker was surprised about the level of care that I provide my beardie and I showed her the setup I have and that made her even more surprised. I don't think she realized how much time and care these animals actually need. That's when she told me that she had actually owned a bearded dragon years ago but she had gotten it from a friend when it was already an adult and it died after only 3 months in her care. This was concerning to me. My coworker asked me to text her a list of basic baby bearded dragon care tips so I did. I sent her 7 long paragraphs detailing the basics of bearded dragon care. Then at 1130pm last night she sent me a picture of the setup she has her baby beardie in and I was so shocked I actually cried. It just proved to me that she hadn't done any research into caring for this lizard and bought him on a whim. You can barely see the baby in the photo but he is there on the bottom of the tank under the stick. I am very scared for this baby, maybe I'm being over-dramatic but I'm worried he might actually die in her care. We live in Canada, it's still snowing and below freezing here, the days and nights are cold so unless her house is extremely hot there is no way he is warm enough or receiving the uvb that he needs. I'm worried that maybe the reason he isn't eating is because his husbandry is so poor. She told me she is on a very limited budget so I'm worried she wont be willing to make the upgrades that I know this baby needs.
I am going to work today and I will be seeing this coworker again. I have no idea what to say to her. This woman is more than double my age and only views me as a kid, I'm scared she wont take my concerns seriously. How do I explain to her that I'm worried she might be seriously hurting her lizard without upsetting her? I could barely sleep last night thinking about this baby, any advice you can give me is more than welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20220312_232117_01.jpg
    IMG_20220312_232117_01.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello all,
I have posted on here twice before about my own baby beardie who I love more than anything. She is doing really well and this post is not about her.
Two days ago a coworker of mine impulse bought a bearded dragon after listening to me talk about mine. She did little to no research before buying him and only told me about him yesterday at work. I had no idea she even wanted a bearded dragon.
She asked me for advice on how to properly care for this baby lizard and I gave it to her after I realized that she really hadn't done any research. This baby can not be more than 8 weeks old at the most. She told me that she has been holding him and cuddling him since she brought him home but that he isn't eating. I told her that sometimes they don't eat at first because of the stress of moving. I asked her what she had been trying to feed him and she said mealworms and crickets. I reccomended that she cut the mealworms out of his diet for the timebeing and gut-load his crickets before offering them to him. I asked her about the tank that he was in, what his temperatures are and what lighting she had for him. She told me he was in a an old fish tank, she had no idea what the temperatures were because she didn't have a thermometer and that she had simply purchased the heat lamp/compact uvb duel dome lamp that most chain petstores sell. This is when I started to worry a bit. After our conversation I went in depth about the daily routine that I have for my baby girl even though it's a bit excessive and costly, I enjoy it and so does she. My coworker was surprised about the level of care that I provide my beardie and I showed her the setup I have and that made her even more surprised. I don't think she realized how much time and care these animals actually need. That's when she told me that she had actually owned a bearded dragon before but she had gotten it from a friend when it was already an adult and it died after only 3 months in her care. This was concerning to me. My coworker asked me to text her a list of basic baby bearded dragon care tips so I did. I sent her 7 long paragraphs detailing the basics of bearded dragon care. Then at 1130pm last night she sent me a picture of the setup she has her baby beardie in and I was so shocked I actually cried. It just proved to me that she hadn't done any research into caring for this lizard and bought him on a whim. You can barely see the baby in the photo but he is there on the bottom of the tank under the stick. I am very scared for this baby, maybe I'm being over-dramatic but I'm worried he might actually die in her care. We live in Canada, it's still snowing and below freezing here, the days and nights are cold so unless her house is extremely hot there is no way he is warm enough or recieving the uvb that he needs. I'm worried that maybe the reason he isn't eating is because is husbandry is so poor. She told me she is on a very limited budget so I'm worried she wont be willing to make the upgrades that I know this baby needs.
I am going to work today and I will be seeing this coworker again. I have no idea what to say to her. This woman is more than double my age and only views me as a kid, I'm scared she wont take my concerns seriously. How do I explain to her that I'm worried she might be seriously hurting her lizard without upsetting her? I could barely sleep last night thinking about this baby, any advice you can give me is more than welcome.
Please guide her and show her your tank- express your concern for the dragon - express to her if the surface basking temps and correct uvb are crucial to the overall health and behavior- of the dragon-- if she does not have these correct the dragon will not make it- advise her to get two digital probe thermometers- and long tube fixture uvb- a 24" preferably since she's going to need to get a bigger tank - that tank looks to be a 30 gallon- a Zoo med or a Arcadia pro T 5 she will need to get a 22" reptisun 10.0 bulb for the zoo med- she can get those on this website www.pangeareptile.com she needs to get this corrected right away or the dragon will not eat- w/ the screen she has the uvb can sit on top of the tank but the uvb needs to be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - that is for a T 5 bulb

Maleficent27

Original Poster
Please guide her and show her your tank- express your concern for the dragon - express to her if the surface basking temps and correct uvb are crucial to the overall health and behavior- of the dragon-- if she does not have these correct the dragon will not make it- advise her to get two digital probe thermometers- and long tube fixture uvb- a 24" preferably since she's going to need to get a bigger tank - that tank looks to be a 30 gallon- a Zoo med or a Arcadia pro T 5 she will need to get a 22" reptisun 10.0 bulb for the zoo med- she can get those on this website www.pangeareptile.com she needs to get this corrected right away or the dragon will not eat- w/ the screen she has the uvb can sit on top of the tank but the uvb needs to be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - that is for a T 5 bulb
Ok I'll try to explain all of this to her today. I just really hope she understands my concern and tries to make a change for the better.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok I'll try to explain all of this to her today. I just really hope she understands my concern and tries to make a change for the better.
I hope so too guide her to this site and we can help as well --- make sure shes feeding insects no bigger than the space between the eyes or shes going to end up w/ an impacted dragon - show her at the store what she should be feeding that will help- and I would take her to the dragon UVB lights and explain to her what she needs for the dragon to thrive --- I am assuming you know about the coil UVB's and how many issues they can cause ?

Maleficent27

Original Poster
I hope so too guide her to this site and we can help as well --- make sure shes feeding insects no bigger than the space between the eyes or shes going to end up w/ an impacted dragon - show her at the store what she should be feeding that will help- and I would take her to the dragon UVB lights and explain to her what she needs for the dragon to thrive --- I am assuming you know about the coil UVB's and how many issues they can cause ?
I do know all of that thank you and I have already told her about potential impaction and the side-effects associated with coil/compact uvb bulbs. I'm just going to try and stress all of this to her as much as possible and hope she listens. I'll post again if there's an update. Thank you

seleghari

Beardie name(s)
Morty
I would also suggest that if she is on a limited budget at the time, she can just switch out the basking bulb for a ceramic heat emitter. So he can stay warm at least until she can afford the new lights. That and a temp gun would be where I would suggest she absolutely MUST spend money today to keep him alive. And don't just show her this website....share this thread with her. You obviously have alot of respect for her and just want what's best for everyone. But communication is key. You've done a great job communicating your problem here in a respectful way. She will understand.

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A ceramic heater is a good idea for cold nights. During the day a hot, bright white light is still needed.

seleghari

Beardie name(s)
Morty
Yes, she'd still need to swap them out each day/night until she can buy another lamp.

But then she can upgrade the uvb to a tube light next. And she'd use the duel lamp for the basking and ceramic heater. But this way could buy her sometime. It's understandable she didn't know about the expenses of beardie husbandry. But this is the bare minimum.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah it's definitely an urgent situation since babies especially can go downhill quickly w/out proper heat + uvb.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor little one, how is she doing? How often do you see him?
Definitely upgrade the UVB to a tube bulb, either Arcadia D3 12% or Reptisun 10% tubes are both good. I hope she is able to
get her better lighting & keep the temperatures more consistent. Babies quickly decline & their immune systems are not developed
yet so they aren't able to fight off infections as well as adults.

Tracie

Maleficent27

Original Poster
Hello,

Poor little one, how is she doing? How often do you see him?
Definitely upgrade the UVB to a tube bulb, either Arcadia D3 12% or Reptisun 10% tubes are both good. I hope she is able to
get her better lighting & keep the temperatures more consistent. Babies quickly decline & their immune systems are not developed
yet so they aren't able to fight off infections as well as adults.

Tracie
Hi,
Yes I know all of this and I tried to reiterate that to her the day she told me she had bought the animal. I have actually never seen this beardie in person and I probably never will. This is my coworker's dragon, she isn't my friend she's just a work colleague so we're not that close. I was hoping to see her at work yesterday but she called out sick so I haven't gotten an update on the baby and I haven't been able to talk to her again about all of the upgrades that he needs. I am really hoping that he's still alive, I texted her this morning to ask for an update but she hasn't responded yet. It's a situation that feels very helpless to me. Like I know what needs to be done to save this beardie but I don't have any control over anything. I simply wish that people did more research before taking home animals, impulse buying can be a fatal mistake and it's heartbreaking to witness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom