Please Help! floods Ipswich oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAD808

What can I do???????
We have been caught up in the flooding here in Queensland and have had no power for almost 3 days now. Levi my 3 year old bd has had no lights for that length of time. He was very sick this morning so I took him out side for some heat and uv but he seams to have gottren worse.

any ideas????

cheers

Leighg

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I'm not sure if this is the cause, but I thought I'd mention it.

Whenever there is flooding, tap water is not safe for use. Make sure you boil water before using it, or use bottled water for drinking and bathing your animals. If you have animals that go outside, make sure they don't drink from puddles or anything. Stuff gets backed up in floods and water can be very contaminated with nasty bacteria. We had a flood here a few years back, and many many pets sick afterwards.

izz

Juvie Member
Thats no good mate,i was gonna make a thread for the flood sufferers,i think i will.Ill have to think of an idea for you guys :idea: :study: :book: .

Thinking of you guys....... :love5:

Izz+Sparks :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I completely agree with the water issue!
Definitely boil the water before allowing him to have any contact with it at all, or yourself for that matter as well. It is extremely contaminated from flooding. They can pick up all types of mycobacterium or other bacteria that can become fatal through causing an illness with the liver.
Also, do not let him on the grass, or the ground at all since the flood waters soak & absorb into the ground which if they come into contact with the ground it can absorb into their skin.

I hope he is feeling better soon.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
When you say very sick, what are his symptoms ? Getting him out in the sun will be great, especially if you have a screened cage and can set it up with partial shade. He will get all the UVB and[ hopefully] heat he needs that way, without a doubt. Hope all goes well for your dragon, and everyone being affected by the flood.

libinoz

Hey mate, I am here in Bundaberg so flooding etc is nowhere near as bad as you guys and our power has only been out for a few hours at a time at least three times now. I know that beardies can go without UVB for a period of time. If Levi has still been eating could it perhaps be a problem that because of the lack of heat he hasn't been able to digest properly? Just a thought. Wondering if anybody has a gas stove that you could boil a kettle, fill a hot water bottle (covered of course) and put him on that for a bit. Thinking of you guys down there.

quigleysmom

Juvie Member
Oh I am so sorry. That must be aweful to be stuck somewhere like that. I would agree that is is most likely either lack of heat keeping him from digesting or water contaminaion. Can you take him outside for several hours per day? If you have access to either a gas stove or fire of some sort you could always stick a rock in and get it good and warm then wrap it in a towel. Maybe the warmth on his tummy will make it easier for him to digest. What are the ambient temps in your home?

I really hope the flooding receeds soon and your power is restored. Good luck to you and your beardie.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Do you all have handwarmers in Oz? That is what I use here in the US when we lose power. I also keep Lilly tucked in against me, like in my jacket or something.

BAD808

Original Poster
Well, the power went on late yesterday, :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:

Levi was looking very sick yesterday, really dark colours, not moving very much and squashing himself into the corner of his temp enclosure.

At the end of the day I put him back into his big indoor home and he went straight for the most enclosed part and curled up into a ball.
I got the timers reset about midnight last night (when the power finally came back on) about 50 hours without electricity all up.

The good news, about an hour after the lights came on this morning he made the biggest mess I have ever seen him make :puke:
And is back to good health, great colour, very active.
A BIG thanks to everyone who gave me advice.

I spent the morning cleaning out my sister in-laws home, it was caught up in the flood, hardly anything we could save. Very sad. :cry:
Her baby was born yesterday morning in the hight of the flood water. Now they have nowhere to go. Staying with family (All 7 of them) living in a small rumpus room.

I think im going to help some of the many other people who lost everything, do some cleaning tomorrow.

Cheers Guys
Leigh

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Congratulations on all the good news ! Congrats especially to your sis and her baby, who will have this tale to tell of her birth during the big flood of 2011. Helping other people always makes you feel better. Sorry to all who are going through this big disaster. Stay strong !

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Great to hear that the power is back! I am keeping all of you in prayer, I have 2 friends in Brisbane and they have been telling me what's been going on, sigh. Congrats on the baby too!

libinoz

Good to hear that Levi is doing better. Congrats to your sis and the new baby! A lot to worry about with all of the devastation. So much cleaning up for just about everyone here in QLD and now in Vic as well.

libinoz

Well the clean up in most parts of Queensland is underway. Tropical cyclone Alex (Category 1) hit Bowen (far north Qld) last night. Tropical cyclone Zelia coming in towards the east coast of Queensland at the moment. They know it will hit land but don't know where yet. Expected to become a category 4 so they are tracking it closely at the moment. Everyone from Cooktown to Hervey Bay on alert at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom