Please help! Desperately need UVB lighting advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonism

So my beardie's uvb bulb is no longer giving out uvb. Really, I should have had it replaced way in December but lacked money at the time. I have a Reptisun Terrarium Hood and it fits/needs a Reptisun 10.0 18" bulb. HOWEVER, it looks like stores no longer carry it (despite it being the best one you can buy -.-) and everywhere I look online is out of my price range. Reptiglow and Zilla seem to not be recommended. So... can anyone recommend me another bulb to buy, or am I just going to have to drop $30 for a new Reptisun bulb? :/ Does anyone know if the brand All Living Things is good?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
All Living Things is a rebranded Zilla bulb (it's identical to the Zilla Desert 50) which is just OK. I'd pick up the ReptiSun if you can. With this hood, how far from the basking spot is the bulb? Optimal output from a T8 is 6-8''. At greater distances they give off just shade levels of UVB. Drs. Foster Smith carries it for a reasonable price but it looks like it's on backorder until next week. In a pinch the Zilla Desert 50/All Living Things tube will be OK as long as it's mounted at a 6-8'' distance above the highest basking spot.

Dragonism

Original Poster
With the hood, its about a good inch or so away from the basking spot. It covers the rest of the tank (the tank is a 20 LONG). And alright. If I can't get my hands on a Reptisun, then I'll get the Zilla. Also if I may ask, is there a difference between the Reptsiun 5.0 and 10.0 bulbs?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd definitely mount it a bit further than an inch. You don't want the bulb to be closer than about 6'' because the intense UVB at close range can be harmful. I suggest using the 10.0 bulbs because they're designed to emit sunlight level of UVB (which dragons need). The 5.0 bulbs are lower output and are designed for shade loving critters.

Dragonism

Original Poster
Ok, thank you very much~ I'll adjust her fixtures accordingly and get on with buying that UVB. Thanks again! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom