PLEASE HELP BEARDED DRAGON KEEPS OPENING HIS MOUTH WIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xibyart

Hi I was wondering if some one can help I beg you
So my bearded dragon is 4 years old but we got him on November 2014 he was fine at first but then he slowed Dow (we think he went into brumation) he had a smaller appetite and did do his business until 2nd of January he was in the bath and did his stuff for the first time since we got him but no he keeps opening his mouth really wide at me when he is in his vavarium and out he just does it randomly but to close his mouth we have to stroke his chin does anyone know why he is doing it cause he does it when he is under his log wich is at the other side of his cage from his basking spot PLEASE HELP ITS DESPERATE sorry if it didn't really make sense I'm not good and English

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It could be temperature as suggested. I've also seen them just open their mouths randomly. It's not necessarily a problem. Does it look like my user photo? That is a picture of Cooper opening his mouth and it looks like he's talking.

Xibyart

Original Poster
CooperDragon":xj0f3xau said:
It could be temperature as suggested. I've also seen them just open their mouths randomly. It's not necessarily a problem. Does it look like my user photo? That is a picture of Cooper opening his mouth and it looks like he's talking.

It's much wider than that

Xibyart

Original Poster
dementedlullaby":1xlhb0z8 said:
My Mungi and Opal do this to regulate their body temperature. What's the temps like? Maybe he finds it a touch too warm? :mrgreen:

The temperature is like he had before and what other people have said we have even turned it down a little bit to see if that stops it but it dosent

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Does he look upset when he does it? Is it more of an "i'm opening my mouth to warn you and bite at you" kind of thing?

Xibyart

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3vqtdyxh said:
Does he look upset when he does it? Is it more of an "i'm opening my mouth to warn you and bite at you" kind of thing?

Sometimes he just stares at you while he is doing it and his eyes go all big but kinda

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible that he isn't used to being handled. My rescue does that sometimes and I confuse him by putting a leaf or other piece of salad in his mouth. If you can post video of him it would be helpful to try and gauge what he's up to.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Do you hear any noises when he breathes , like wheezing? Does he have any mucous or stringy stuff in his mouth? What are the temperatures in the tank, and what do you use to measure them?

Eldrith

It does look like he is just regulating his temperature. Topie does this on occasion when she gets too warm, it looks like she's excited about something. Lizards are ectotherms, they can't generate their own body heat. When they get too warm, they "gape", which is the lizard equivalent of panting. Is he an adult? Adults prefer temperatures between 95-100F. If your temperatures are fine and measured accurately with a digital probe or temperature gun, I wouldn't worry about it.

Here are some other dragons "gaping" (source: Google images):
http://tinyurl.com/krcwm4h

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, that looks like gaping to regulate temperature. As long as your temps are within the proper range, I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom