Please help baby beardie wont eat!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PogoLover

Juvie Member
Lizardsarife":20srn5c8 said:
That actually gave me so much hope thank hou so much! I got her some chicken baby food and i did that thing with the eyedropper and she would gobble it up but it takes around an hour for her to cooperate.

The more she eats, the better she will feel (probably) and the easier it will get. If you can get your hands on Bene Bac gel and Carnivore Care - that might really help. If you can't - try mixing the chicken baby food with squash baby food or banana. You can also make smoothies - you can chuck the crickets and some collard greens in a blender or food processor and feed her some of that in the dropper (I did that with my crickets once I realized she wouldn't eat them).

You can also add a pinch of calcium to the baby food mix. I would alternate five days of putting the calcium in the mix with 2 days of putting vitamins in the mix.

The beginning is rough because you are sure that they are going to die. Some do. But at least you will know you tried your best and you might end up with a big fat fatty in three months!

My vet said that she wished they wouldn't sell dragons under 30 grams, because so many of them get stressed out or have other problems and few people are willing or able to do what it takes to nurse them back.

If you have any questions about the eyedropper feeds, just ask. I am an expert now (even though Pogo is my first dragon!). :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry if my post seemed a little harsh earlier. It was so hard seeing that picture of her knowing her poor little body was going through those injections. I do think you should ask for a full refund, awful that you had to pay for them ahead of time not knowing how or if she would be able to handle it & improve.

So happy to hear that she ate some chicken baby food and even a little sweet potato earlier, that's a GREAT start. You're doing awesome with her. Would be a good idea to mix a larger amount of the chicken with a smaller amount of sweet potato so the protein will help give her a boost. Sounds like the dropper is working very well. It does take a lot of time but so worth it seeing her eat, right? If you could do that 2 to 3 times a day it will help a lot and you can add a small pinch of the calcium or vitamins to it depending on which day she is due for them, 5 days of calcium (1 feeding) and 2 days of vitamin (1 feeding a day). Carnivore Care is very good too and has lots of proteins, vitamins & minerals in it and most beardies like it when mixed with a little bit of baby food. I've had real good results with it in the past. There isn't much I haven't gone through with having beardies for over 15 years and one was only 4" long who lived to be 9 yrs of age, a pet store rescue that we didn't think would last the night.

A good sign that she has her head up now. Are her eyes open sometimes too? Great that you are misting her (try not to do it while she is in her tank though as it could raise the humidity too high) and giving daily baths.

Happy to hear you got rid of the red heat bulb, what did you decide to use for now? You were able to find a Repti-Sun 10.0 strip fluorescent bulb? If so, that's awesome. If she is staying on the bottom of her tank and not climbing at all to get closer to the lights, it would be a good idea to put a thick towel or a blanket in there to help raise her up a little so that she stays warm & can digest the baby food better.

Would be a good idea to get a temperture gun or a digital probe thermometer so you know what the temps are where she spends most of her time. Benebac gel, the type for birds & reptiles is a good probiotic to help her stomach & to increase appetite. A pet store should carry it.

Hopefully tomorrow she will be doing better and will continue to improve daily. Keep up what you doing, can tell you care for her very much. :love5:

Lizardsarife

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, it means the world to me knowing im not the only one rooting for her! Il give you guys an update tomorrow

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That would be awesome getting updates. We are all giving her strength with our well wishes. Giving you strength too. ;)

PogoLover

Juvie Member
It can be a real roller coaster in the beginning. Pogo would do well for a few days and then might have one day where she wasn't as interested in the food. It got better and better, and now she is fine.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good,then just keep up the small liquid feedings a couple times a day. Hopefully she'll pull through.

I'm not an expert, but my beardie that I just lost(due to other issues) had the same issue as your little one. When I took him to the vet who helped me, I was told to get baby food; turkey, chicken, and the veggies they can eat. Mix a little of their calcium powder in, hold on to them, watching out for the heart, and not holding too hard, and pry the mouth open with your fingernail, and put .5 CC's of food in him 2x a day. And eventually it got to the point where I could get him to eat a wax worm, but I still had to hold his mouth open, and have my husband help with getting it down his throat. Idk if it'll help, but it helped my little one. Good luck!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw.....I'm so sorry. Poor little one had some serious issues + just couldn't recuperate. All my sympathy to you, I'm really, really sorry. :( You tried so hard for her though !

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, I'm SO sorry. You certainly tried everything you could and more. She definitely had something serious going on, perhaps adenovirus. Feel so badly for you.

R.I.P. little one

PogoLover

Juvie Member
I am so sorry. That is very sad. You did the best you could. If I ever get another dragon, I am definitely getting one that is over 30 grams and 4 months, so that the chances are better of survival. The babies have a high mortality rate. I got lucky with Pogo because I found a great experienced reptile vet. Sending prayers.

Lizardsarife

Original Poster
Thank you all for your advice and condolences they mean alot to me. I wish it didnt end this way but such is life. I did all i could and i hope she enjoyed her short time with me

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sure she knew she was loved & that you were trying to help her out.

Perhaps someday you will consider getting another beardie. If so, we are here to help you along the way. There are quite a few breeders that have awesome juveniles and adults that need good homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom