Please Help!!! Baby beardie looks horrible!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.... I have a baby beardie who actually had problems eating last time. Well he was fine... until he started eating greens instead of crickets.... now he looks so thin, and I'm constantly trying to feed him, but he doesn't take it!! Please help... he looks so horrible that he looks nearly dead. When I tried to pick him up, he was limp, but not dead. Please.... I just want him to be okay...

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Hello. Sorry your beardie isnt feeling well.
In order to help, we will need some info about your setup.
Tell us what you can about the temps, bulbs, foods and any info you can give.

XxReptileGrlxX

Original Poster
Jiffy":954b6 said:
Hello. Sorry your beardie isnt feeling well.
In order to help, we will need some info about your setup.
Tell us what you can about the temps, bulbs, foods and any info you can give.

Okay...
His temps:
98.6 on his sunning area
ReptiSun 10.0 UV strip light, just a regular light bulb for his sunning area
When I got him he would eat week old crickets, but he stopped and would only eat a couple pieces of greens a day. (collard greens, romaine)
And he didn't eat anything yesterday even when I tried to give him strawberries

XxReptileGrlxX

Original Poster
scalesandtales":6243a said:
You need to PM tracy- drache613... I'm so sorry. Is he breathing okay? any changes?
Ok I'll do that.
And I think so, I'd assume he would have to if he's still alive...
Thank you

Grommet

Hatchling Member
Hey! I'm so sorry for you and your little guy! Glad you came here for help.... How long have you had your baby? How old is it? Have you been careful to only feed it very small bits of greens and live feeders? When was the last time it went to the bathroom? Is there any loose substrate in the tank the beardie might have eaten?

Give your baby a bath.... if it's looking thin, it's probably dehydrated. Not too much water, just enough to cover the "vent" (where the poo comes out) and no higher than your beardies armpits. The water temps should be a little warmer than room temp, I make the temps the same as I would infant formula.

It's great you have a reptisun 10 tube, those are good. I'd suggest making your basking spot a little warmer.... up to 108 degrees. And keep the cool side between 80 - 85. Keeping your baby a little bit warmer will help with digestion. What are you using to temp the tank?

As for food, try blending your greens, veggies, feeders together into a slurry - your beardie might be up for licking it off a spoon if you can get it to taste and smell appetizing :shock: I'd avoid both romaine and strawberries for now - romaine doesn't have much nutritional value and strawberry seeds can cause impaction. Try mustards, collards, some no sugar added apple sauce, pear, canned pumpkin. If it's been less than a week since your baby has eaten protein, try chicken baby food. Too much protein at once can hurt a sick lizard, but if it's only been a short time since your baby has eaten give it a try.

If you've only just gotten your beardie, it's possible that it's undergoing relocation stress. Let us know a little more about your set up and how long you've had your baby.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Kailin

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your baby doing? How long & big is he?
How long have you had him for?
Great you are using the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb. How far away is it from your dragon? What type of basking light are you using in conjunction with your UVB tube bulb, & where is your basking light placed in relation to your UVB tube? How close is your basking light?
Is his beard darkened at all? How do his eyes look, are they sunken in or are they bright?
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temps with? Is it a round analogue type of stick on thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun that you are using?
How large is your tank?

Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

XxReptileGrlxX

Original Poster
Grommet":7dc5f said:
Hey! I'm so sorry for you and your little guy! Glad you came here for help.... How long have you had your baby? How old is it? Have you been careful to only feed it very small bits of greens and live feeders? When was the last time it went to the bathroom? Is there any loose substrate in the tank the beardie might have eaten?

Give your baby a bath.... if it's looking thin, it's probably dehydrated. Not too much water, just enough to cover the "vent" (where the poo comes out) and no higher than your beardies armpits. The water temps should be a little warmer than room temp, I make the temps the same as I would infant formula.

It's great you have a reptisun 10 tube, those are good. I'd suggest making your basking spot a little warmer.... up to 108 degrees. And keep the cool side between 80 - 85. Keeping your baby a little bit warmer will help with digestion. What are you using to temp the tank?

As for food, try blending your greens, veggies, feeders together into a slurry - your beardie might be up for licking it off a spoon if you can get it to taste and smell appetizing :shock: I'd avoid both romaine and strawberries for now - romaine doesn't have much nutritional value and strawberry seeds can cause impaction. Try mustards, collards, some no sugar added apple sauce, pear, canned pumpkin. If it's been less than a week since your baby has eaten protein, try chicken baby food. Too much protein at once can hurt a sick lizard, but if it's only been a short time since your baby has eaten give it a try.

If you've only just gotten your beardie, it's possible that it's undergoing relocation stress. Let us know a little more about your set up and how long you've had your baby.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Kailin

I've had him for probably three weeks exactly tomorrow
When we called the store, they said they were about a month old
Yes, he only eats very tiny pieces of Greens and the crickets we try to give him are very tiny
I saw him poo last night actually
No, we use a paper towel substrate
Okay, I'll give him a bath right after I post my reply. :D
Is 108 degrees not too hot for one so tiny?
Okay, So basically like baby food? That's a great idea, didn't even think of that...
Thank you so much, I'll try the bath and the slurry right now to see if that makes a difference. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom