PLEASE HELP! Baby bearded dragon sunken eyes???!??!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

levinjos

Hi I just got my baby's bearded dragon exactly a week ago and I can't tell if his eyes are sunken here are some pics
88960-742991218.jpg
88960-2633002578.jpg
88960-9431631378.jpg

Also I feel your wondering why his mouth is open it's because he hate me lol when's ever i near the tank BOOM his mouth opens...

MsCarter

Juvie Member
From what I can see his eyes look fine. If they ever appear to be sunken in to you one of the first things you can try is a nice long bath/soak and to offer a few drops of water onto his snout. This is often a sign of dehydration. Make sure you offer him water 2-3x a day.

What are his temps in his enclosure? It looks to me that he is simply regulating his heat in these pics by opening his mouth. This is actually a good thing as long as it's not happening constantly. It shows he's reaching temps high enough for his likings. Also what type of UVB light are you using? Just so we can make sure this isn't bothering his eyes.

levinjos

Original Poster
MsCarter":1rtgi5j7 said:
From what I can see his eyes look fine. If they ever appear to be sunken in to you one of the first things you can try is a nice long bath/soak and to offer a few drops of water onto his snout. This is often a sign of dehydration. Make sure you offer him water 2-3x a day.

What are his temps in his enclosure? It looks to me that he is simply regulating his heat in these pics by opening his mouth. This is actually a good thing as long as it's not happening constantly. It shows he's reaching temps high enough for his likings. Also what type of UVB light are you using? Just so we can make sure this isn't bothering his eyes.

I have a bowl of water on his cool side of the tank and I also put a few drops of water in his snout everyday as well. the hot spot gets from 95-107 and the cool side is 70-80 the UVB bulb I have is the reptisun 5.0 t5 ho. I know it should be a 10.0 but when I realized I go the wrong one I went back to the reptile store and I had money to offer for the 10.0 and he said the 5.0 t5 ho is good for babies ... he could've easily taken my money and gave me the 10.0 but he didn't he said the 5.0 is good but when u need to get a new bulb and u want the 10.0 u can get it but he said there's really no point.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Your temps sound great and a 5.0 UVB isn't horrible. I would invest in a 10.0 when I could but it shouldn't pose any issues Just make sure he can get about 6" from the 5.0 light if he chooses to.

They usually do not recognize still water as a water source which is why many people do not even have a water bowl in the enclosure. It's fine that you do as long as your humidity levels aren't spiking over 50%, just be sure to continue offering water by hand everyday. He may not always lick up the drops and that's fine, it just means he's not thirsty. It's always best to atleast offer though.

So like your doing a great job. Your dragon is a cutie and as far as I can tell he looks like a healthy baby

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it doesn't look like his eyes are sunken in though.
That is correct, a Reptisun 5 is not too bad, but when you get a chance a Reptisun 10 is much stronger for him. It should be fine for awhile. You are using a high output T5 bulb?
What are you using to measure the temperatures with, a digital probe or temp gun?
It may take some time, but eventually you should be able to train him to drink from a dropper off of his nose.
He looks good to me, so continue what you are doing now. How is his eating?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom