PLEASE HELP - 9yr old dragon-black beard, puke, constipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I still have some of the same thoughts you have several years after losing my first two. One of them died from kidney failure too (among his many other neglect related issues). The feeling like you could have done more is pretty normal. 9 years is a really great run and I'd love to have my guys for that long. At that age a system failure of some kind is really not unheard of and I don't know of much to treat kidneys except keeping them well hydrated so they can do their job. The fact that she lived into old age tells volumes about how well you cared for her and what a good life she had. She lived a longer and fuller life than most dragons get and I'm thankful to you for that.

Akire

lough040":7e67s904 said:
I'm so devastated today. Of course I had to google kidney failure and it looks like it might have been treatable. I had asked the vet and the vet had said that this was not treatable, just something to prolong. Is that true? Or could I have saved her? Did I do the right thing? She was black bearding since the night before, and bloated, and losing fat deposits, and she was almost 10 years old so she was pretty old. She wouldn't open her eyes. Of course, when they came in to do it, she opened her eyes. Is this regret and wondering normal? Or was I wrong? I can't help feeling like if I would have just brought her home she would have been okay.

The biggest factor was probably her age. She was an old girl. There is no guarantee she could have gotten past the kidney failure at her advanced age. Not to mention you could have put her through a lot of suffering in trying to treat the kidney failure only to have the same outcome. Another important factor to take into consideration; how advanced her kidney failure was.

I think your vet was right in recommending you end her pain. Vets don't usually suggest euthanasia unless the situation is basically hopeless and the animal is suffering a lot. Like you said, she was black bearding, bloated, getting skinny and wouldn't open her eyes. That is a suffering animal. You made the right call and did so before her suffering got too severe. I'm sure she would thank you for that.

It's totally natural to second guess yourself; I do it every single time. It's highly unlikely things would have just been okay if you brought her home, they could have even gotten worse. I honestly believe you did the right thing. Take comfort in the fact you gave her an amazing home and she lived such a long and wonderful life.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh that is always such a horrible feeling thinking or wondering if you did the right thing.
If she was that far along in renal failure it probably would have been difficult to have gotten
her normalized. Since she had lost fat reserves already & wasn't holding hydration, that wasn't
easily treatable. In some cases if caught early enough it can be treated.
I am so sorry, I know it's so difficult. :cry:

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syafiqmust
Top Bottom