Pleas help! My beardie is ill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwheatley

Hello,

I have had my beardie Lilly for 6 months now and have had no problems. I took her home for Christmas to my parent’s house for 1 week. Instead of taking her viv I made a temporary one. In comparison to her home this viv was quite a bit smaller, the UVB was the same however slightly longer, the temperature was about the same in the basking spot but slightly cooler at the other end of the viv, the UVB was closer (about 6-8" everywhere in the viv as apposed to about 12" and 6" in places). I thought this would be ok as it was only for a week, and it seemed fine, she was eating ok and was generally happy. The last couple of days she seemed very unhappy, her skin was darker and she just lay there flat with her head down, very lethargic.

When I brought her home her behaviour didn't change. She has been home for over a week now and is still eating fine but hasn’t been to the toilet yet. I thought I may be over exposure to UV as the bulb was closer, so I turned it off for 24 hours and bathed her a couple of times but she has shown no improvement. I know it could be relocation stress but I thought she’d be over it by now? The only other thing is impaction but I don’t see how it could be as her diet hasn’t changed.

Is there anything else it could be? What should I do? Should I stop feeding her until she goes to the toilet? Please help!

Thanks

Tom

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Hey Tom,

Sorry your beardie isn't feeling so hot!
I have a couple ideas, but I need some Qs answered.

How old is your UVB?
What brand and strength of UVB? (this can be found at the attaching ends of the bulb)
How old is Lily?
Where do you live?
What temps are you getting (basking spot & cool side)?
What are you using to take temps (digital therm. with probe, analog/stick on therm., temp gun)?

We should be able to help you out with that!

- Kerry

tomwheatley

Original Poster
Hi,

My UVB is 6 months old, I know is due for changing, I'm actually going to get one this weekend.
Its a Repti-glo 10 30" 25w.
Lilly is about 9 months old.
I live in Sheffield, England.
The temerature in the basking spot is about 100-105 and the cooler side is about 80.
I took these temps with a digital thermometer with a probe.

The viv has been set up like this since I got her and she has been fine. I didn't have any problems until I moved her for a week.

Thanks for your help Kerry

Tom

dreshany

Hatchling Member
When was the last time she pooped? What is her diet? Even though her diet has not changed, it could still be impaction. I would keep up with the baths daily and give her a little unsweetened applesauce with a drop of olive oil, as this can help get things moving. If it is relocation stress it can take a while for them to readjust.
Is she basking in the hottest spot and flattening out? You could try and up the temps slightly, not too much though because your temps seem pretty good. I know my beardie will flatten out on her basking spot to try and soak up more heat.
Let us know how she is doing.

Yes, please change your UVB quickly, it is very important to have a good bulb to ensure proper calcium absorption.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Okay. Temps play a crucial role in digestion, bump those a little and the prob could go away.
Because you are in a wetter climate, like me, I personally wouldn't bump the baths- but it's your own call.
Olive oil is a great idea! I find that if I put a worm in the olive my beardie laps up a bit before he has any luck with getting the worm.

Definitely replace the UVB- you'll see a difference, I promise. Since you are in the UK, go for the Arcadia D3 bulb! They are awesome bulbs and are much more widely available your side of the pond!

You are hitting more adult beardie land and can expect some behavioral changes- including less crazed running around.

Also while the juvies don't actually brumate, I feel that I did see a winter slow down from both my beardies when they were juvies and still.

Mostly, I think- replace the UVB, bump the temps, get a bit of olive oil down and just keep an eye. Not at all at panic stage! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom