Plateau's and Snuggle questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello!
I seek the wisdom of you more seasoned keepers.

Im in the process of doing up Dexters viv. She currently has sifted sand as her substrate, a few fake plant bushes, a log and a basking stone. Pretty basic so far as enclosures go, so I want to treat her to a more stimulating home now I have a little extra cash on my hands.

Dex is a 12inch female with one front claw completely missing and the back leg of the same side with all her toes nibbled off (She was a rescue that stole my heart!)

Im planning to buy/make her a raised plateau so she can climb up it. She is a very active monster so i think (given her love of scaling my desk/sofa) she would appriciate something to climb in her lair.
I wouldnt build a particularly high platform as, although she is still agile baring in mind her disability, I dont want to make it too difficult for her.
Perhaps I could encorperate a hide underneath?

Living in a small town in the UK I can only reach 2 reptile shops, which focus on food and lizards rather than enclosure decor. grrrrrrrrr, so Im thinking id be making her something myself.
If i were to make this plateau what would I be best making it out of? Materials wise?
I have access to non-reptile pet stores, homeware superstores etc.

Another thought I had was in regards to the 'snuggle factor'.
Dexter is a snuggly beardie. :D She enjoys being held in a fuzzy bathrobe and when wondering around the house when she becomes sleepy or bored she will tunnel underneath a pillow.
Ive been seeing alot of vivs on this forum with blankets/soft toys in them, which i think Dex might like.
Thing is im keen to keep her on sand substrate because she enjoys the odd dig, and sometimes enjoys "hunting" worms that try to escape.
So firstly realistically would sand and a 'snuggle area' of a toy or fleece mix?
And if not could anyone suggest a way to encorperate this into my viv without mixing it in with the sand.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated :blob8: :blob5:
The reptiles shops here are unfortunatly USELESS for anything other than food (things like insisting there is no such thing as brumation and saying beardies like to be housed together!) so you guys are my number one port of call!

Holly & Dexter x

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
For the plateau or cave you're looking at making I suggest you take a look at my tutorial on buildings fake rock caves.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=90519&hilit=
Building a cave can be pretty easy. You should be able to get all the basic supplies at a hardware store.
As for you are snuggling question, I would suggest you get rid of the sand in the full tank and just make a smaller sandbox. Then you can use blankets or whenever without having to worry about getting sand in them. I actually have a couple of washcloths Viggo's cave.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thank you for the link.
Certainly looks like a weekend project! hehe. will be searching around my local B+Q this weekend for supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom