Plants to put in bearded dragon tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello! I was wondering what were some good, easy to grow plants to have in with my beardie? I want to liven his tank up some more and also have something there that could serve is food and stand up to the heat. My boyfriend suggested wheat grass, which is very nice looking, but I was wondering what else could be put in there.
Thanks in advance!

ParkerandMe

Hatchling Member
The thing with plants are your beardie will almost definitely attempt to eat the plant or the soil which can cause impaction or poisoning, so having them in high pots where they can't reach the plants is good. The soil can raise humidity also, so make sure you have good ventilation. A good video I found talks about the plants that the user put in her cage for her bearded dragon, Freddie. She uses aloe vera and a hybrid called aloe flow I believe. Here's a link to the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fYXnwbjHY
I would just skip to 3:44 where she starts to talk about the plants she uses. Another option is using fake plants, which provide the aesthetic effect without all the work and risks. I hope this helps!
-Claire

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm growing wheatgrass, collards, turnips greens and clover in my viv at the moment. I tried aloe but it was too delicate, it got terribly smooshed. Any of the staple greens would be good, and there are many other edible plants you could try. Basil or herbs would also work.

If you grow safe plants in organic soil there shouldn't the any risk of poisoning and a healthy dragon won't get impacted from a little dirt.

Plants transpire and can also raise humidity, but adequate airflow will usually be enough to deal with the moisture in the soil and from the plants.

erikadickson

Hatchling Member
Taterbug":1p4zwdti said:
I'm growing wheatgrass, collards, turnips greens and clover in my viv at the moment. I tried aloe but it was too delicate, it got terribly smooshed. Any of the staple greens would be good, and there are many other edible plants you could try. Basil or herbs would also work.

If you grow safe plants in organic soil there shouldn't the any risk of poisoning and a healthy dragon won't get impacted from a little dirt.

Plants transpire and can also raise humidity, but adequate airflow will usually be enough to deal with the moisture in the soil and from the plants.

I'd love to see pictures of your viv!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
380a354bf3ccdfed0f4de9046938ff27_zpszqssjeoo.jpg

Wheatgrass in the back left, got it at the grocery store. He doesn't eat it that I have been able to tell. It's gotten really ratty but it works for me. Could easily put it in a pot or start from seeds. Would be easy to keep a fresh pot.

Clover in front left. I got this from my garden, I'd bought seeds and planted them a few years ago. I'm not sure if it would grow well in a pot, it's only been in a week or so. We've started seeds and they are doing well.

Middle is collard greens. I don't think they are getting enough light, but I didn't think they would last so long as they have.

Right is collards and turnip green sprouts. We have been starting these in trays under a grow light. I know other folks who grow greens and lettuce mix right in the cage. They sprout quick, you wouldn't need too deep of a pot and they wouldn't need as much as water as a bigger plant.

Back right is fake grass :)

5f8e01fd350e600abdec81073968ef27_zpssebasysr.jpg

erikadickson

Hatchling Member
Oh wow that looks really nice! I have some wheatgrass seeds on hand so I'm thinking of maybe sprouting some and growing it in a pot in Milo's cage! Do you think any cactus or succulents would be safe? I have a cactus that's shaped like peanut cactus except it doesn't have the prickles. I don't know the name of it LOL but i don't think its something he'd be able to try to eat because there's no leaves. I'm not sure if it'd be safe, but there's no prickles that could stab him

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Tater, I love your set up. ! Dragon must feel very stimulated in there, and snacks are growing throughout the tank. Excellent ideas. :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict

For your cactus, I'd look it up and ID it for certain. I'm pretty bad at identifying plants so I mostly play it safe.

Tortoise Table (sorry don't have a link) has a big data base of plants for free roaming tortoises, it might give you an idea if it's toxic or not or why not to use it. Quite a few succulents are safe and edible but a few are not. Aloe, Hens and chickens, and sedums/stone crops (with some exceptions) are usually safe. Some have pretty high lights needs so depending on what lights you have in the enclosure they may or may not do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom