PINKIES???

Status
Not open for further replies.

docdoo32

I have a bd that is like 4.5 months old and the store I get my crickets from told me to try a pinkie or two every week. I gave him one and he destroyed it. I give him two on the weekends. Are they ok to give?? he also eats his crickets and mealworms everyday with lettuce and grapes. thanks

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
That seems very young to be eating Pinkies. They are ok but not a great idea. They are fatty and harder to digest, most people will probably tell you do do it once a month if not less. I'm fairly certain that you shouldn't be feeding them to him at all. How manny inches is your dragon from tail to nose?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
With the feeders available to you today pinkies are an OLD school method of husbandry that does more harm to your dragons liver than good.

docdoo32

Original Poster
Wow alittle shocked at the responses but I will stop as of now. SO crickets, mealworms and roaches.. that about it???? then of course veggies

Angiecountrygirl

Juvie Member
My beardie is about 6 mths old and I would think too small for the thought (and she is almost 18"). I have read mixed reviews about feeding your beardies pinkies, but I have to say that's one option I will not chooose. They are very high in fat (which isn't good for their liver), and although in the wild they may try to eat them - there's really no need to take the risk that it won't digest properly or may cause impaction.
There are so many options out there for feeding your beardie... Here is a great link that will explain in "color coating" on what is a good daily staple, etc...
You have much more options for food choices than you think.
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
I'm sure your intentions are well, but those who responded earlier are only trying to give you good advice.
Good luck. :wink:

docdoo32":f71a9 said:
Wow alittle shocked at the responses but I will stop as of now. SO crickets, mealworms and roaches.. that about it???? then of course veggies

I have never tried pinkies, as I consider Wally too small for them (she's 9 months with an SVL of about 6", total length is probably just less than a foot). I've never heard anywhere other than here not to feed pinkies (the bones make for a good source of calcium), I can see how some of the warnings (ie, high fat content) would be founded. I'd say a pinkie once a month should be fine, but having never used them, please take my recommendation with a big grain of salt, as it's purely theoretical.

However, I have had a somewhat negative experience with mealworms. Because they're on the small side, their chitinous exoskeleton is very thick compared to the amount of edible mass inside. The exoskeletons don't digest very well, so they can clog the intestines, causing an impaction (at one point, I could feel the exoskeletons in Wally's gut) or at the very least, cause irregularity (as was my case). Sometimes, you can see the exoskeletons in the stool. If you're going with mealworms, be very careful. I'd recommend using superworms once your dragon is large enough. That way, you can offer one or two and have relatively more meat to exoskeleton, making you able to feed less and lower the risk for impaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom