Picky eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakek

Hey, I may be over reacting but i can't not ask. I got my dragon tuesday and since then i have tried feeding her roaches ( dindn't even look at, squash and kale ( shown no interest in), supers with just their head centimeter (so they can be small but still have movement) she hasn't touched anything except when i accidently let get hold of a few full sized supers. She about 7" and 2 months old tommarow. What do I do? Been thinkin' about putting her in a seperate container to eat.

Thanks

P.s she is in a 4x2x2 cage. Has a reptisun 10.0 a regular 150w basking light on coll side ( only gets to about 85 degrees) and a megaray 160w sb on other side (get's up to 98 degreses).

peera

Sub-Adult Member
First of all, she's far to small for supers, she needs to be at least 16 inches before you give them to her.

Second, it's common for babies to have relocation stress and refuse to eat for a while. Just keep offering her live feeders 2-3x a day and eventually she'll start eating. Make sure to give her lots of baths to keep her hydrated! Salad should always be availible, she'll probably eat some when you're not looking... Miss Priss won't touch greens when I watch her, but whenever I walk by the tank they're spread all over like she's been playing in them and some are missing. And it's always possible she just doesn't like kale or squash. Just because it's good for them doesn't mean they'll want eat it. I know onions are good for me. Doesn't mean I like them. ;)

Jakek

Original Poster
I see what you mean, by her not liking the veggies, ill pick up some collard and mustard greens sunday and try them, maybe a little fruit if that fails.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Oh yea, picky they can be. I feel for you. Try collards, I've had the most luck with them and butternut squash. I've seen relocation stress last for 3 weeks, so just be patient. I know its scary, but they like to stress you out. I've never had one turn down a roach, so I'm surprised at that one unless it was too big. Remember the Size Rule, no bigger than the space between their eyes. And to be safe, pull the legs off the crickets. I rescued a baby who was dehydrated and ended up impacted last week, I wouldn't wish that one anyone.

Jakek

Original Poster
No def. not too big. Getting some pin heads today, also want to give her a bath. Should i pull off all legs or just the big hopper ones?

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
If you're getting pinheads, they should be fine. When they start getting a little bigger like 1/4 to 3/8, I pull off the hoppers. It makes them easier to catch too so they're not hopping all over the place. Some babies lose interest if their food hops away. If beardies don't like crickets when they're young, they seem to start liking them when they get older and bigger appetites, like 3 to 4 months.

Jakek

Original Poster
didn't want the crickets but im not worried, she ate a good bit from those supers she got hold of ( shes been pooping daily so not worried about impaction, not that i will feed them to her again though). PW are coming monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom