Phoenix Worms vs. BSFL from Other Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
It's a given that Phoenix Worms wants people to believe that their product is superior to other BSFL producers, but I'm curious... has anyone out there ordered from both Phoenix Worms and another dealer, and if so, did you really see much of a difference? PW says that only THEIR worms have the right calcium to phosphorous balance because of their feeding practices; can anyone confirm or deny this?

I ask because I just ordered 100 dubias from DubiaRoaches.com and decided to get a 200 count of what they call "nutrigrubs" (BSFL) as well. Now I read on the Phoenix Worms website that some companies ship their BSFL in dirt or potting soil rather than in a cleaner, easier to remove substrate, which along with the claims about appropriate nutritional balance, makes me a bit concerned. I guess I'll have to wait and see what comes in the mail.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
IMO PW's are overpriced when compared to other BSFL

I've only bought them once, and didn't notice any difference at all between the different "varieties" besides the fact that most BSFL do come in that soil type mixture. But once you figure a way that works for you in removing them from it, it's inconsequential. Most people just use a strainer that is big enough to allow the soil/dirt/whatever to fall out and the larva to stay in.

And most charts that I've seen are nutrition analysis of BSFL, not PW's in particular.

All varieties will be quite nutritious to your dragons. PW's may be more than other BSFL, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a difference.

-Brandon

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
ComicBookMama":14kk39bq said:
It's a given that Phoenix Worms wants people to believe that their product is superior to other BSFL producers, but I'm curious... has anyone out there ordered from both Phoenix Worms and another dealer, and if so, did you really see much of a difference? PW says that only THEIR worms have the right calcium to phosphorous balance because of their feeding practices; can anyone confirm or deny this?

I ask because I just ordered 100 dubias from DubiaRoaches.com and decided to get a 200 count of what they call "nutrigrubs" (BSFL) as well. Now I read on the Phoenix Worms website that some companies ship their BSFL in dirt or potting soil rather than in a cleaner, easier to remove substrate, which along with the claims about appropriate nutritional balance, makes me a bit concerned. I guess I'll have to wait and see what comes in the mail.
I might put more stock in such a claim if it came from somewhere other than the seller's website, but in my experience, so far the other places I've gotten BSFL from have had them in substrate materials, not dirt. Symntonbsf and Josh's Frogs are my go-to places for BSFL.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, the "nutrigrubs" / BSFL came in today with my shipment of dubias and superworms, and sure enough, they're packed in what looks like potting soil minus the vermiculite (those little white styrafoamy bits). I'll see how easily I can shake them loose from it with my insect strainer, but I'm somewhat less than impressed and probably won't be ordering them from this source again. Phoenix Worms came in something that looked like bran, and were very easy to strain out of the substrate, which at least I knew wouldn't hurt my dragon if a bit got ingested. Ah well, live and learn!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The soil type substrate should strain out easily enough.
O would go out on a limb and state most people dont buy the PWs and most bsfl do come in that substrate that you have now.

Its just a little different to get used to but it's perfectly fine and safe :)

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":9zqm83ls said:
The soil type substrate should strain out easily enough.
O would go out on a limb and state most people dont buy the PWs and most bsfl do come in that substrate that you have now.

Its just a little different to get used to but it's perfectly fine and safe :)

Okay, as long as it's safe - I'll be trying to plump them up in water after straining them out anyway, so maybe some of the substrate will rinse off that way. Thanks! I think I'm just having an off day and was feeling grouchy when I posted. As long as the BSFL are still quality feeders, and the substrate is safe for dragons, I'm good. :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you rinse them make sure they get dry. When wet they can literally climb everything! LOL. I found that out the hard way once.

There is an article on this site on how to plump them up though. Check it out if you haven't :)
I've never tried it personally.

-Brandon

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
claudiusx":xlfistt9 said:
If you rinse them make sure they get dry. When wet they can literally climb everything! LOL. I found that out the hard way once.

There is an article on this site on how to plump them up though. Check it out if you haven't :)
I've never tried it personally.

-Brandon
So true!!! I sift them out of the substrate they're in, then put them in a bowl of warm water. Then I sift them out of that into another bowl lined with paper towel. They climb around (and sometimes out of) that, and *then* I put them in the worm dish. :0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom