Phoenix worms as a staple??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaW

Can my beardies eat these instead of crickets? They love the Phoenix worms but don't even look at crickets. Also I'm starting a dubia colony so eventually I hope to be rid of crickets all together. But for now can I feed Phoenix as my staple?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, PW's are a great staple feeder.

But remember, a varied diet makes a healthy dragon. Try not to only feed PW's, throw in some other bugs too when you can.

-Brandon

DanaW

Original Poster
Thanks, like my post says I'm starting a dubia colony so hopefully it takes off soon :D then I'll be feeding roaches mainly with the occasional horn worm or Phoenix worm or etc.

DanaW

Original Poster
Also since your not supposed to keep them in the fridge how else can I keep them like 60 degrees? I mean it's basically summer here and the temps in my house are 79. I want to order a bunch in bulk but don't want them growing them too fast!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You will need a wine cooler for that. You might be able to find a cheap one on craigslist.

-Brandon

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Wine cooler, plain ole cooler with ice packs, there's a few ways to do it. Check your fridge as well, stick a thermometer in the door for example. Some fridges are a bit warmer than others, and the door is often the warmest part of the fridge. This also works for waxworms - they don't always do well in the fridge, but if it's a "warm" fridge, they'll still be wiggly and perfect.

-Jen

DanaW

Original Poster
LLLReptiles I used the ice chest idea. I got a small ice chest from the garage and put an ice pack in it and got it to stay at 66 degrees, is that cool enough?

cr1chard

they will last for a few weeks at room temperature too, so storing them isn't exactly a chemistry experiment

DanaW

Original Poster
Yeah but I plan to order to 5 k so they will have to last a tad longer than 3 weeks. But good news I used a different ice pack today and it's now 60 so I think I'm good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom