Phoenix Worm As Staple Or Treats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I just bought Izaac 500 phoenix worms since it seems everyone is having such good luck with them, but I was wondering - can you use these worms as main staples or is it better in moderation? I'm still going to feed him his little crickets, jw how many phoenix worms are appropriate.Thanks!

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I feed them as a staple, well in conjunction with crickets. Blazey has gotten to where she trusts me a whole lot more, and I hand-feed the pws.. so we have been going through them a lot more lately. I was feeding about 75% crickets to 25% phoenix worms.. but over the last week or so, its been much more worms.. like 75% worms..

I think they are ok to feed as staple, since you are also using crix. Its always a good idea to mix things up a little bit, but whey they are young, it seems harder.. I will stop using them as she gets bigger. Also, occasionally, she will pass one whole, but this is not that uncommon. I am switching to a MVB, so I hope that it helps.. But, I would recommend feeding the pws with plenty of basking time left in the day to ensure proper digestion.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Staples... and i'm out of them... oops... not sure how happy Lindy's going to be tonight when he has to chase crickets.

Youkai

Hatchling Member
I totally agree, staples!! :mrgreen:
I just got 1200 of them today and I'm so glad for fast shipping because my Sakura plowed through 400 in no time!! I tried to switch it up with crix and worms but once she got a taste of them, she was NOT having the crix...
I got the "oh no, I'm not chasing these jumpy things anymore..where are those tasty worm thingy's??" glare from her and as long as everyone agrees that they are good for beardies, I will be a good slave and keep feeding them to her as long as she'll eat them!! :blob8:

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
the only thing with pw's are they are kinda pricy, and my 2 dragons seem to go through phases where they love them, then hate them. so its a constant battle with crickets, and pw's. at least untill i get my dubia and super worms going! wooo i dont ever want to buy another feeder again or at least thats the plan

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
I have to agree with NegativeCreep. I've gone over my two's diets with several people (one being my vet) many times because we had some problems with silkies in the beginning. What I've been told, and personally suggest, is to keep it at about 50 PWs a day and then use crickets or other feeders along with them. PWs are great feeders, my two love them :D , the only concern is that a diet of just PWs maybe too much calcium, especially if you need to dust with calcium too. We do occasionally go over 50 a day because of my bad timing of when to order crickets or Kaira's semi-eating strike. But what we were advised to do and what has been working for our two is: 5 days a week they get 25 PWs with their first meal & crickets, they usually get a snack of the other half of their PWs mid-day & crickets at night (or we just do two feedings and it's the same for morning and night). The other two days we only feed crickets, dusting one meal with RepCal w/ D3 & their multivitamin.
That's just the way we do it (try to, anyways, with Kaira being picky & me not knowing when to order more crickets, it's been a little difficult). I know others who only feed PWs and have a healthy, happy beardie, we just choose to mix it up a little & try to make sure they get enough D3, but that's just us.
Oh, and Kaira's about 6 1/2 months old, she's passed whole PWs too on occasion. Even though she gets the large PWs, sometimes she eats to fast and doesn't give everyone a good bite. We've almost completely fixed that problem by only giving her one or two at a time. They are expensive, too. If you have the money, then I guess it's not a big problem lol, but there's no way we could keep Taz full on our budget if he was only allowed PWs (or Kaira when she's eating normally). He'd happily eat 200-300 a day :? ...that's just too much for us lol.
Again, this is just what we do and what we've been told is a good idea for them. We do plan on switching for crickets to supers eventually, but Taz isn't old enough yet and Kaira has some digestive problems :( .
Abi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom