Pheonix worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

warnisha

Juvie Member
So, my little guy triton has NO INTEREST in those worms! I have tried them in salad, they just escape, tried them in a dish and showed them to him...nope! Anyone else have this problem? I was so hoping he would like them as they are easier to get ahold of for us than crickets at least till he's big enough to eat bigger crickets. He LOVES his crickets and while he doesn't eat a ton (10-12 per feeding) he is still gaining and growing. He also really enjoys his salad most days. Some days not so much but he is only little still. Any suggestions on how to entice him with the worms?

Kaiser

Juvie Member
Well, I use Reptiworms, but they're essentially the same kind of larvae. My bearded dragon used to immediately charge for the dish when it was filled with Reptiworms. But after a month or so, my bearded dragon went through a phase of disinterest with them. But I found that for some reason, he preferred to eat them when they were outside of the dish. Whenever he saw one roaming on the reptile carpet of his terrarium, he instantly took an interest in them again. I also found that if I picked up the larvae individually, and then dropped them into the terrarium repeatedly (to make them seem like they're moving more, almost as if "hopping" like a cricket), my bearded dragon would start eating them.

Now he eats from the dish again, but will only come to it if I lure him towards the dish by dropping the larvae in a path. What a weird little pooper I have.

Anyway, these are just some things I've tried. I think some don't have interest merely because they don't. Others lose interest because the larvae don't move as much as what they're used to hunting (I would assume, if you've used crickets before), and sometimes it's really just the environment (I've heard that some bearded dragons have a difficult time seeing the worms in certain colors and types of dishes). But hopefully he'll pick up on them. Good luck! :]

masontg

I just got my first order of Phoenix worms in today and I was super excited about them since I hate crickets and I can't feed them when I go to work in the morning. My beardie also doesn't seem too interested in them. I'm feeding the medium sized ones and when I threw them into the tank he dashed towards them and ate 3 but then stopped eating and just went back to basking. I waited for about an hour and he still wasn't eating so I took them out and gave him crickets which he ate four of quite quickly and then got full.

So I'm in the same boat as you. I'll try again with the worms tomorrow and I'll report back with how that goes. I'm going to try worms in the morning and more of them in the bowl so I'll let you know how that goes. Good luck!

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
When I started my little one on the worms, he ate about 8 the first day and every day would eat more. Right now he is not eating as many but he is sheding and kind of grumpy and sleeping more, but still eating off and on all day. I think he is up to 20-30 a day.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
warnisha":2ewitue8 said:
So, my little guy triton has NO INTEREST in those worms! I have tried them in salad, they just escape, tried them in a dish and showed them to him...nope! Anyone else have this problem? I was so hoping he would like them as they are easier to get ahold of for us than crickets at least till he's big enough to eat bigger crickets. He LOVES his crickets and while he doesn't eat a ton (10-12 per feeding) he is still gaining and growing. He also really enjoys his salad most days. Some days not so much but he is only little still. Any suggestions on how to entice him with the worms?

I would just try leaving them in there in a separate bowl and I promise u if he's hungry he will eat them..lol Usually when I put them in there for Scarlett she won't just run over there and start gobbling.. She will eat them at her own pace so I usually put about 30 in her bowl and just leave them and when I get home from work they are all gone... One other thing u might want to take into consideration is.. I first ordered the Phoenix worms and wasn't very pleased with the size or the activeness (if that makes sense) of the worms.. So I ordered from www.reptiworms.com and had a much better result.. They last A LOT long than the worms from phoenix.com.. And they come in wiggling like crazy.. They are the same exact worm.. Just different breeders and diff names...

warnisha

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well I am going to order some reptiworms this time since I am on the last of my pheonix worms. My leo likes them so that is where they have been going....plus many have died waiting to be eaten! :( So, we are going to try the reptiworms just to see if there's a difference plus as far as price goes I believe they are a bit better...however I do really like the customer service at pheonix worms they are pretty awesome! Just hoping for some luck on our end with the feeding!!! He is just being plain out picky on everything right now!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom