PHENIX, veg and crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
my beardie dosnt seem interested at all in the phoenix worms unless there the only type of food in there but when i give him 6 he eats maybe 3
dosnt seem interested in his crickets anymore but he is eating his veg (romaine bell peppers carrots)
he eats the super worms with out 2nd thinking usually but he is very cautious of all food given too him
is this just them being them or is something wrong?
what worm is best as staple? silk worms or phoenix??

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Worms really aren't the best staple for a beardie as young as yours. If he is not interested in the crickets, it could be he is getting lazy, but I doubt that is the case at his age. Silkies are your best bet considering they do not have a hard chitin shell if you feel you must use a worm feeder. Are you feeding him only things that are no bigger than the space between his eyes? Has he pooped recently? You really shouldn't be feeding him those kind of veggies on a daily basis. Your best bet is to try dandelions (make sure you do not use pesticides on your lawn if you get them from your backyard), mustard greens, or collard greens. At his age, he probably is not going to eat that many greens until he gets older. What are your temps? Is he basking regularly? Are you bathing him at least once a week?

kodobeardie

Original Poster
i live in a apartment so i cant trust any dandelion greens a round here just because im not sure
temps are 110 under basking and 84.2 he is basking about 85% of the time i see him poops a fair amount he usuaslly get sa warm bath about 2x a week

ddma

Juvie Member
silkworms and phenix worms can be used as a staple, so can supers but how old is your beardie? you really shouldnt be feeding your beardie romaine as it has no nutritional value. go to www. beautifuldragon.com for a list of foods to feed your beardie.

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Yes, crickets no bigger than the space between his eyes are a good staple. Just be sure to dust them with calicum that has vitamin D3 in it. Gut load them if you can, otherwise it is like feeding your beardie nothing.

kodobeardie

Original Poster
hes under 1 yr not exactly sure how old he is but hes young
i have that page as a bookmark actually i dont have the calcium dust and not sure how i would dust the cricket.. he'd just jump away
the crickets i buy are sold with the gut loading stuff in their tub, i spray his veg and fruit with calcium based water and his water dish also has calcium drops in it
not sure if you have seen my other thrread or not but my phoenix and super worms turned into winged bugs.. very creepy.

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
You are wasting calcium with putting drops in his water. Beardies don't drink from standing water. If he is not eating the fruits and veggies that much, then putting liquid calicum on those isn't going to do much good either.

You dust crickts like this:

Put your crickets in a bag and then sprinkle calcium in the bag. Make sure the bag is closed and then shake the bag (like Shake-n-Bake). Then feed crickets. That's all there is to it! :)

I get my calicum dust from petmountain.com.

kodobeardie

Original Poster
he eats his veg most of the time including the romaine when i was giving him worms id spray them withthe calcium water aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom