Petsmart rescue :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
What a handsome baby you have there, the color is great and the "Buddah" belly is precious. Can you take a picture of his/her vent area so I can help you with male or female. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blaze

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hahah. ok ill post one.

r70sbt.jpg

ill get more if you need me to.

im so in love with this guys color, and character.

radc0y.jpg

Blaze

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also, would you guys say hes growing at a steady rate?
im worried about his size. and dont want him to be severely stunted.
thanks for all the help everyone. :)

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
My goodness he sure has plumped right up. :D Such a cute lil guy. I'm leaning toward male, but wouldn't swear to it. Best wait for someone with more experience in that area. :study: Love his name BTW. Nice to see a rescue doing so well. Keep up the good work.
You might want to switch to mail order bugs. They wind up cheaper and healthier than store bought, (especially bait shop) I use Premium crickets and Ghann's. I try to buy on sale, it's easier for me. I have 2 fully grown dragons, so I can get bulk bugs. Ever see 1000 superworms in one place, ugh! :bleick: Just a thought.

Sandy H :mrgreen:

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Great pic, a little hard to tell right now, I do see 2 slight lumps but I don't see any clear pores, it may be the angle or too young, but I'm leaning more towards a girl from what I see. I had one girl who had the slight lump look and turned out to be a girl, she went back and forth from male to female. I'm no help at this point, but feel free to post more pics. Time will tell, whatever sex it is, it's a cutie and growing nicely.

jon21388

Juvie Member
**Sorry for jacking the thread** I have actually rescuded a three legged bearded dragon from a pet store before. They were trying to sell it for 70$ which was the price of a normal one. I finally talked them down to letting me spend 50$ in the store and giving me the dragon for free. I later on went to this same petstore and returned the 50$ worth of unwanted and unneeded goods and ended up with the free rescue.

I just don't understand like in your case also how they still try to make money off of these little buggers if they are in bad condition. If it was my business I would personally try to find someone that would be able to take care of it and just give it away to them. I can't count the amount of times i have gone into pet stores to buy just crickets but after seeing how they care for the reptiles I just turned around and bought nothing.These pet stores need to understand by having bad reptiles they gonna lose business. I also can't count how many times me and my girlfriend have been in petsmart or petco and there was dead reptiles in the tanks. Do the workers only check out these tanks once a week or what?

Sorry about the little rant but I was not pleased last time I went to petsmart.

Blaze

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I totally understand what you mean.
to me its frustrating, knowing that you sell unhealthy animals. and trying to make a profit?
im spending alot of money on my guy, when i first rescued him, he needed alot of tlc.
its ridiculous. but im pleased to say this guy is 100 % healthy.
as an update, hes shedding again. he grew close to an inch in a week ! ! ! about 1/4 of an inch away from 8 inches.
i love my little guy, and wouldnt trade him for anything in the world.
ill be posting more pictures frequently for you guys :)

argolupin

Hatchling Member
it sounds like that petsmart was not doing their job. the only way to fix something like that in that store is to contact corporate and they will go down the line yelling at people until it gets fixed. they are supposed to be a wider variety. if you can search on petsmart.com you can find the store number and make sure to include the number when contacting the corporate office

Blaze

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Good news. and bad news.
ive taken in another rescue. this time from the notorious craigslist.
it all started with me trading an older crested gecko enclosure.
and the man offered a 20 gallon long, lights, furnishings and all.
well when he came by, he said he had a beardie.
i asked to see it. and fell in love, he cannot be more than a week or 2 old.
and so frail. this guy is a little skinny. but ive feed him some mealworm guts. (gross huh?)
its all i have but he lapped up the internals.
i feel so bad, he supposedly bought a dragon from blood banks.
and they threw in a hatchling for free.
it didnt sound to likely. but i took him up. he said he has to many dragons.
but i felt so bad. i may wait till he gets a bit bigger before i rehome him. but i am in such awe.
hes so tiny. im going to have trouble finding him suitable food. but for now ill feed him guts. (eww, i know.)
he ate just a nibble of strawberry. and some collards.
any ideas you guys? ill post pictures soon.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
So sad, babies should not have to go through such trama. :( Get some chicken or turkey baby food. Its awful thick so mix it with a bit of green been or peas baby food (or fruit).
Feed him as much as he will eat several times a day. It sure beats bug guts. :bleick: Keep him hydrated. That small you can use a bowl for baths. :lol:
Keep us posted.

Sandy H :mrgreen:

Blaze

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok. so i mixed some baby food together. and let him lick up a good amount.
its hard to say hes eaten enough. especially with his small size.
but im glad to see that hes perking up a little bit more.
im afraid to handle him though, hes so tiny, i feel like if i make a wrong move, ill seriously hurt him.
i gave him a bath in luke warm water, and he drank alot.
hes pooed. and it looks normal. darkish poo, with creamy urates.
ill post more updates soon.

thank you for the advice

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Oh poor little thing, I'm glad you have him/her. You can always mix the chicken with squash babyfood too. I use a syringe and put a dab on their lips and usually they start to lick and then I just continue to drip it on the tongue. It's good that he's lapping it up, but if he doesn't, you can try that method too. It's great that he drank alot during his bath, being so little, I wouldn't leave a water bowl in the viv though. I'm looking forward to some pics..............Keep up the good job, your doing great!

dolphingirl

Hatchling Member
OMG! Talk about being in the right place at the right time! It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Send pics soon!

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I think we need more pictures now! I just got a tiny baby from Petco.. same size yours was.. Only had him 5 days now....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angiemeyer8561
Top Bottom