Petsmart Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
I have mild experience as I am a newbie dragon owner.
My first beardie, Smaug, I got at an independently owned pet shop that did not take good care of him. They only gave him about 5 crickets a day and his viv was 70 degrees. Being new to the whole beardie thing, I thought that feeding schedule was normal and when he wasn't growing I got concerned. Then I over fed him and it shocked his system. He passed away last week. I was and still am devastated. He was so amazing and I couldn't believe how mis informed I was! I was determined to try again and this time I went to Petsmart.

I got Dany 2 days ago at PetSmart and she is an eating machine. She is much more alert and happy than Smaug ever was and much more alert. She's already getting ready to shed and she's 3 months. Smaug took 5 months to shed. Relocation stress is getting to her a little bit but she seems to be still alert and pooping regularly although she didn't eat yet today (kinda freaked out but I think I'm just being paranoid).

That being said, Dany is the healthiest little dragon I've seen at a PetSmart. It really depends on the handler. If they are well taken care of early on, you will experience less problems down the road no matter where you get them.

Good luck with your new addition!

Junebug

Hatchling Member
Sorry to hear about your first Dragon! :(

I got my Dragon from a reptile show on Saturday, 4 days ago. Puff (the bearded dragon :D ) ate 3 Crickets Saturday when we brought him home, 2 on Sunday and hasn't ate anything Monday or nothing today yet, besides a little of his greens. I spoke with both the breeder today and a few other people, as well as have posted a few things and gotten great answers to ease my mind about his lack of eating. As long as he's eating something and staying hydrated, which he is (actually has pooped three times, once today) I don't think you should worry much. I too am a newbie to the beardie thing, but these posts offer a wealth of knowledge that I haven't found anywhere, in the few months I've been looking into BD before actually deciding to adopt one! Puff is 5 weeks old, measured 5 and 1/2 inchs and weighs about 4.6 grams(as of Sunday). I ordered Dubia's for him, to try to encourage him to eat more then he is, but those won't be in till Friday afternoon. He is scheduled to be fed and his greens changed out in about an hour, with the help of my boyfriend, then again after I get home from work about 4 hours after that, then a few more hours and it bed time. My breeder told me today that baby beardies sometimes will eat a bunch then the next day not really eat much, not sure how true this is, but she is a breeder, and when I picked Puff out all of them were really active, alert, no nips that I could see, so I have no reason not to trust what she said. She had some that were 8 months, some that were 5 months, a few that were 3 months, and about 3-4 that were the same age as Puff, and she was able to give me lots of information regarding them, what setup they are in (before I adopted him), was even willing to share pics of the parents and his home before he came to our home. Basically, if hes/she's active, and atleast staying hydrated, I don't think you should worry much if he doesn't eat for a day. :)

Thanks @Junebug.

I honestly wouldn't be so worried if Smaug hadn't passed. I just have this feeling of "Oh God no, not again."
But I have contacted a vet just in case and I'll give her a week or so to have her appetite pick back up. She's shedding too. Poor thing. And also she'll have her powersun by then. I have a terrible UVB light for her (or at least that's what I've been told). The MVB, plus getting used to me and her new viv, plus being finished shedding should increase her appetite. And if not, off to the vet we go! :?

Tropic

Hey everybody i am a new beardie owner and i have a little girl, i just got her last monday so i've had her for a little over a week now and i feel really stupid for not asking the breeder but, i don't know what type of beardie she is. I also know that nobody can help me without me putting up a picture, but i'm not sure how to put one up since copy and paste doesn't work, sorry for being a newbie but i'm new to this site so if anyone could help me out that'd be great :D

go to photobucket.com and upload that way.
Once the file is saved copy the link under "Image Link" on the right. It should be the fourth link down. :wink:

Tropic

petrie_zps06c0c53a.jpg

did that work? and thank you, i also read about your loss, i deeply apologize and you're in my thoughts beatles. hopefully seeing this little girl posing like a beardie model will brighten your day!:)

Junebug

Hatchling Member
Thank you Tropic!! We were wanting a ruby one, but I saw this little man and couldn't pass him up! His personality was awesome, he had a sisiter that was a little brighter, but the kids wanted him "because he had more spikes"!! Yours is pretty also, posing nicely! :D

And thank you Beatleschic, for posting how to upload pics, I too couldn't figure it out!! LOL!! :D

Tropic

Thanks junebug! i am almost considering getting another beardie for her because i go to school during the day and im so worried shes going to be so lonely, is that a factor for beardies or is me coming home and hanging out with her everyday for a few hours good enough?

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Beardies like being by themselves. If you get a second one, best and safest to keep them separate.

Tropic

if beardies like being by themselves, why are they always curled up together in pet stores? im not trying to argue or anything because ive heard that they fight, but if they are so aggressive with each other, why do they sleep together and love humans?

zandi202

BD.org Addict
They don't start off aggressive until they get older. Beardies have been known to take legs, tails, and even kill other beardies. It is extremely rare to find two beardies that get alone. Something that might look loving and cute, like one beardie sitting on top of another is really a sign of dominance. There will always be a dominant beardie and that beardie could prevent the other one from basking, from eating or wanting to eat. This link should help explain more.
http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154908

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom