Petition BAD LIGHTING from big chain stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to post an idea for feedback from everyone.

My husband and I were really disturbed by some of the lighting sold for bearded dragons at large big box stores like Petco and Petsmart. Can we possibly unite our forces through some sort of petition or general request and send Petsmarts/Petco a wake up call and educate them on some of the bad lighting products (emitting the wrong UV rays) they have for sale.

Some of these products (Reptiglo, coils and so forth) that are being sold and hurting the eyes severely of bearded dragons. Also some of the education on D3 and its implications with different light sources. Maybe the company can send out a nationwide meno to management staff to discuss some basic issues with the dragons that they sell...

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Also if this is posted in the wrong section please administer feel free to move to the right section of the forum.

(In dedication to our little bearded Marilyn. We love you very much. You will never be forgotten.)

RB1

not everyone has problems with these listed lighting companies you listed above so yea.just saying.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
The problem is that these lights, while bad for bearded dragons, are fine for other types of animals. So, you're not going to see them get rid of all coil bulbs etc.

marilynharley

Original Poster
kjinxx2":296r0lnd said:
The problem is that these lights, while bad for bearded dragons, are fine for other types of animals. So, you're not going to see them get rid of all coil bulbs etc.
I understand but they have pictures of bearded dragons on the front stating that its a good source of lights for them. My bearded dragon is a rescue and they owner kept them in poor conditions including using the coil lights, he is now blind and has to be hand fed everyday,also goop comes out daily. The other bearded dragon that I rescued had pass away. I did everything I could to save her but she was so far gone that the vet said we tried are hardest.

Seven65

Juvie Member
I can't see a petition going anywhere. Yes the stores are uneducated, but they types of bulbs they carry are the least of the concerns in that respect. Really I think it would be better to discuss the issues with the manufacturers of the bulbs rather than the stores that carry them, though if you are going to do that you should have a firm understanding as to what exactly the bulbs would require to have / not have in order to be safe for BDs.

marilynharley

Original Poster
Seven65":2qgi0o8u said:
I can't see a petition going anywhere. Yes the stores are uneducated, but they types of bulbs they carry are the least of the concerns in that respect. Really I think it would be better to discuss the issues with the manufacturers of the bulbs rather than the stores that carry them, though if you are going to do that you should have a firm understanding as to what exactly the bulbs would require to have / not have in order to be safe for BDs.

Thank you for your response. Indeed contacting the manufacturer directly would be a better approach. This allow me to take the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom