Pet-Supplies-Plus's New Addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermundor

Hatchling Member
I've always gone to pets-supplies-plus for stuff for my beardie since they don't sell many animals, and the only animals they sell are obviously taken care of properly. The other day when I went in there to buy some stuff for Glaedr and my dog Ginger, I saw that they had two baby beardies. :shock: You can just imagine my reaction, considering I already have to pester Petco about their lizards. The tank I assumed was a 29 gallon high+, which was fine for their size. They also looked plump and happy which was good. There was a small bowl filled with lettuce and shredded carrot. However, they were on colored calci-sand and had a blue basking bulb. :?:

I talked to one of the employee's (Who happened to be cooing to a guinea pig), who said the lizard breeder set up the cage for them. I told her all the issues that came with sand, which immediately worried her. She mentioned to me that the breeder would come Friday and she would talk to her about it. I'm debating right now whether or not to go there tomorrow and talk to her myself if I can catch her in time before she leaves. I haven't seen them feed the lizards yet, so maybe I can check it out today when I stop by there. (They sell baby crix so I'd think that that's what they feed them.)

My plan afterwards is to try to convince the store to allow me to bring in some tiles to replace the sand and show them the correct bulb they should be using.

((Some interesting information I found on their website right now was that it mentioned that owners should NOT use sand as a substrate. I don't think I'll have a problem convincing them now. :D ))

Any of you guys have had a problem with Pet Supplies Plus? It's not as widely spread as Petco and Petsmart are, but I know for a fact that stores can be found on the right half of the United States.

i work at a local pet store in my town and its unbelievable how dishonest breeders will be to get u to go for there product. this doesnt suprise me at all that the breeder lied to them. pretty sad that its so hard to get honesty out of the people selling u the beardie. our of curiosity whats the problem with a blue heat bulb?

Vermundor

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Isn't it cheaper to have tile which doesn't have to be replaced than sand which does? It is a bit disheartening since you'd think that if these people make a profit from this they'd try to at-least make them as healthy as possible so the store will buy from them again.

It looked like one of those weird bulbs that were made for the night, which I heard aren't good at all. It might have been a Zilla day bulb, but I'm not too sure.

yeah i have a 40 breeder and sand is a huge pain in the ass not to mention all the problems it can cause if ur beardie decides to eat some of it. even calci sand can cause problems if they eat too much of it. i will admit when i first started with my beardie he had sand and i had no troubles but i got a new baby and she non stop attempted to eat it so theyre on very soft paper towels with no patterns. the reason i asked about the bulb is i use a blue daylight heat bulb by zoo med. the only bulb i kno of being bad is the repti glo which is the alternate UVB bulb that fits in a normal lamp which my breader was trying to sell to me. if u have any links or info on the blue bulbs lemme kno so i can do away with mine lol

Vermundor

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I practically don't know anything about bulbs, I'm just a bit suspicious since I don't know whether its the wrong one or not and the color might make it those night bulbs. Don't take my word for it, I'd ask someone who knows about it if your concerned.

My beardie never had a problem with it too. Even at a reputable reptile store I went to, they had adult beardies on sand. At-least they said the babies needed to be on reptile carpet. Sand is a nightmare to clean. Newspaper works like a charm for me as does tile. :) Most useful inventions: paper towels and newspaper. LOL

VerriKerri

Hatchling Member
Haku comes from Pet Supplies Plus. He's missing a leg and half his tail. There are only two pet supplies plus here in RI. When I was getting all my stuff for Haku before I got him from my friend I went into the one near my house and they had 3 dragons in the tank but they weren't tiny baby's they were maybe a few months old. So I asked them if they should be keeping all of them in the same tank and they said "Yeah they're fine" and I said "That one is already missing a toe, you should probably separate them."

So the next day I went back and there was a 10 gallon sitting on one of the closed registers with two dragons in it (WITH SAND :angry5: ) and the one on the wall had a larger dragon in it. He looked really mean actually.

Anyway, I spoke to the same guy I had spoken to the previous day (I was there to get crickets) and I said "Oh, when did you guys separate them?" He says "This morning when we came in one was missing a foot." It was the same one that was missing a toe. REALLY!? Why didn't you listen to me. >.> The other one in the tank had a broken arm. It kept it's arm straight out close to it's body. It's sad really, that poor little guy could have kept his foot if they had just listened to me. :banghead:

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
Sounds like one of the Zoo Med daylight bulbs. They're blue but the light coming off doesn't appear blue, it just has more of a "natural sunlight" brightness to it. I've used them with my tree frogs before and they're more for viewing than heat from my experience.

Unfortunately, the few Pet Supplies "Plus" (I don't understand the quotation marks in the title) I have been to are not the greatest. They haven't been HORRIBLE but some of the animals and setups have been questionable. Before we got a Petco closer to my university, I had to go there for crickets and I once saw two pac man frogs put together, which you NEVER do. Pac mans will eat each other, even if the one being eaten is the same size as the one doing the eating...and that's what I saw. It was horrific to say the least. I have no been back to one in a few years since I can get feeders easier at other chains.

Yeah I feel bad for most animals in pet stores. Not enough people that work there take the time to do a little research and it's sad cuz that's the animals health that suffers because they don't know what they're doing. And as far as that bulb goes I have 2 thermometers in my tank and that blue bulb does the right heat for mine but I do have a dome lamp that mirrors it out more which might be doing the job

Sierra1167

Hatchling Member
I have had quite a few issues with our local Pet Supplies Plus. It started when I learned about frogs and saw that they were housing them completely wrong. I actually tried to save two American Green Tree frogs that were being housed with Fire Bellied Toads, but neither made it past two weeks. Mine just got beardies and they are housed on some kind of loose substrate...doesn't really look like sand though. Not to mention they want $80 for a baby when the Petsmart here wants $60. Oh...and while I am on this rant I will add that their crickets are almost always the same size regardless of what bin they are in and a lot of times have beetles. I try to not go in there at all unless I am desperate for gutload or bedding for the furries we have.

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
I will say though that I got my oldest White's tree frog, Cassius, at Pet Supplies Plus after my American green tree frog got sick. There weren't any emergency reptile vets so I took him back (2-3 months after I bought him) to see if they could help (impaction) and they tried but he didn't make it. They gave me $5 off my WTF and he's been a great little guy ever since. :D Cassius is 6 now and he's been croaking this summer and generally being a fatty.

VerriKerri

Hatchling Member
Well, I have to say I went in my pet supplies plus here today and I strolled by the bearded dragon tank.

The big one that was picking on the smaller ones is still there but the other two aren't. I wonder if someone bought them.
Also, Does anyone know what happens if the pet stores don't sell a beardie? What if they get a new shipment of babies and that big guy is still in there and they put them all together. D:

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
VerriKerri":oahnbt0h said:
Well, I have to say I went in my pet supplies plus here today and I strolled by the bearded dragon tank.

The big one that was picking on the smaller ones is still there but the other two aren't. I wonder if someone bought them.
Also, Does anyone know what happens if the pet stores don't sell a beardie? What if they get a new shipment of babies and that big guy is still in there and they put them all together. D:

We just keep them until they sell where I work. How big is the bully one? I think I've seen 1-2 larger ones in our tanks but we feed them enough that they don't bite on each other. They were maybe 6-7 inches compared to the little ones, which were 4-5 inches. They do dominate by sitting on each other though but we can't really stop that without having tanks for each individual beardie. If we get new beardies and the front tank is full (4 beardies), we set up a cage in the back for the babies. I don't know if Pet Supplies Plus has a sick room? If they do, you could see if they'll move the big one out of the tank if there are little ones that could get hurt.

VerriKerri

Hatchling Member
Fuzzyviper":1md13uzj said:
VerriKerri":1md13uzj said:

We just keep them until they sell where I work. How big is the bully one? I think I've seen 1-2 larger ones in our tanks but we feed them enough that they don't bite on each other. They were maybe 6-7 inches compared to the little ones, which were 4-5 inches. They do dominate by sitting on each other though but we can't really stop that without having tanks for each individual beardie. If we get new beardies and the front tank is full (4 beardies), we set up a cage in the back for the babies. I don't know if Pet Supplies Plus has a sick room? If they do, you could see if they'll move the big one out of the tank if there are little ones that could get hurt.

He is probably about 7 inches. He looks really well taken care of I'm just nervous because they always have babies in there and I've seen what that big guy has done to the smaller ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom